Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:38 AM

527 posts, read 736,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Who's talking points? Those of a majority of the county? See the orange and red on the map again.
The talking points you laid out... crowding, need to redistrict, if so no new taxes and no more redistricting for 5 years. Those talking points came straight from the BOE. So, what did people do? If they weren't reassigned they either didn't care or figured the BOE was being straight up so they moved along (which explains your little map). If they were reassigned they freaked out, did some investigation and quickly realized it was a complete farce. Now, there were some across the county that "got it" which explains why yankee boy got any votes at all on the Eastern side.

It's a shame though that those voters don't get a little more involved. You yourself stated they didn't want new taxes yet we got a 15% increase, no new school to show for it, and we have to redistrict within a week of school starting.

We should run a county wide mandatory class on root cause analysis.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:41 PM

631 posts, read 883,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's a shame though that those voters don't get a little more involved. You yourself stated they didn't want new taxes yet we got a 15% increase, no new school to show for it, and we have to redistrict within a week of school starting.
Oh we definitely have the schools to show for it. CHS, CMS, PRMS, PRHS, MRHS, MRMS, and several elementary schools that were all approved with bond votes several years ago, but the BOCC never pulled the trigger to raise the taxes. They had to uphold their fiscal conservative appearance at the expense of not paying off the debt. It finally caught up with us and we now have that increase to pay for those existing schools.

It's kind of like those 60 months, no interest financing that many stores offer. The county jumped at the deal, decided to pay the minimum balance every month, and then acted all surprised when it all came due.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:47 PM

631 posts, read 883,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItIn View Post
I am glad she won, and not some new guy who doesn't have the necessary background and isn't willing to work for it.
Agreed. I gave Marce a lot of flak, but she was the better of the two candidates.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to my buddy, Croal? Is he taking his powerpoint skills to DC?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:19 PM

549 posts, read 671,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The talking points you laid out... crowding, need to redistrict, if so no new taxes and no more redistricting for 5 years. Those talking points came straight from the BOE. So, what did people do? If they weren't reassigned they either didn't care or figured the BOE was being straight up so they moved along (which explains your little map). If they were reassigned they freaked out, did some investigation and quickly realized it was a complete farce. Now, there were some across the county that "got it" which explains why yankee boy got any votes at all on the Eastern side.

We should run a county wide mandatory class on root cause analysis.

A lot of those votes he got were the result of an illegal flyer being handed out purporting to be a list of conservative candidates. However, only CAPS approved candidates were listed. That was some dirty politics. You would also be surprised at the number of voters who just choose the name they like best and know nothing about any of the candidates in the race. See for yourself if you won't take my word for it. http://www.enquirerjournal.com/archive/x532299299

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 11-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Add link.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
BTW, does anyone know what happened to my buddy, Croal? Is he taking his powerpoint skills to DC?
I hear he hopped a southbound freight train and is selling powerpoint templates in the french quarter.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:05 PM

97 posts, read 128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Mike, congrats. Your guys (except one) won. Good night for you.

Interesting to check out the by precinct break down. Sean won areas he was suppossed to (polling place that included Wes. Chapel or Indian Trail/Stallings) and took 13 precints. Dennis' 19 precincts look like "Old" Union County. Various areas but low on new growth and development. Leslie (20 precincts) had an interesting mix of the "new growth" areas and Monroe and Marshville (looks like she really owned the Af-Am vote).

Like Mikey said, here is the money...A certain % has to be spent on federal mandates, etc (you can't move it elsewhere). Now here is the remainder...how will the new board deliver on all the promises without raising taxes (which I am definitely NOT for). How do you do it economically and still please your supporters. They already are saying they want the lines redrawn first thing. I hope they can figure a way. Good luck.

Also...I hope someone will still push forward on the advanced/high-tech manufacturing courses that was Yercheck's pet project. Lots of kids in this county could use those skills.
Raithfan,

Yercheck had no real intention on pushing an advanced/high-tech manufacturing program. Maybe in thought at best. These programs are in HS all over the country and he had plenty of time to learn how to make it happen...he doesn't have a clue I don't think on how to get funding, he has no relationship building skills or what is involved. Yes, the idea is awesome, but UC isn't able to focus on something like this..or ask how to-

I'd loves to get those students interested in an have exposure to the industry, talk about careers and have them attend the school I work for...the main issue is the kids aren't going into the field because they don't know anything about it, and the companies are desperate to hire but there's no one to hire. The HS's can be the bridge between the two...it happens everyday, and UC still doesn't even have a program in 2014. The exposure to careers is what's big...and not here. That field is a great start...but just a start...there is a whole big world of careers out there....and so many kids are completely unaware of them.

I'm quite confident a real plan, funding, budget, course content/equipment to name a few for "his pet project" haven't even been looked at..it requires planning, thought and people skills...as a result UC won't have it for years I'm sure...Ellis probably doesn't know this plan is usually driven from that position, not a lowly BOE member

Old 11-06-2014, 08:12 PM

451 posts, read 704,761 times
And boom goes the dynamite...

Savage double dipping.

Not good. She has got a big problem now not just with Stewart.

Where there is smoke there usually is fire.

When will people learn. She should have just manned up last month and this never would have been found.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:14 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times
New Town capped in 7-2 redistricting vote sequel - same players, same talk, same results... Lawson phase 2 and 3 sold out to split feeder Waxhaw Elem (Parkwood cluster), but will continue at Cuthbertson Middle. Cap will "sunset" after this school year. Angels will descend from the sky and make it all better.

I don't think anyone has figured out whatever comes out of facilities is passed.

P.S. How does the BOE continue to let Ellis get away with "as I recall (but don't hold me to it" for just about every answer? Even if you want to give her a pass not having everything in front of her, why is it so hard to prepare questions in advance? Everyone knew the proposal ahead of time.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 PM

136 posts, read 179,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
New Town capped in 7-2 redistricting vote sequel - same players, same talk, same results... Lawson phase 2 and 3 sold out to split feeder Waxhaw Elem (Parkwood cluster), but will continue at Cuthbertson Middle. Cap will "sunset" after this school year. Angels will descend from the sky and make it all better.

I don't think anyone has figured out whatever comes out of facilities is passed.

P.S. How does the BOE continue to let Ellis get away with "as I recall (but don't hold me to it" for just about every answer? Even if you want to give her a pass not having everything in front of her, why is it so hard to prepare questions in advance? Everyone knew the proposal ahead of time.
I concur. Lawson 2 & 3 will make a short drive to Waxhaw Elem. Inconvenient but better than another domino redistricting. At some point Waxhaw will have to take ownership of it's own permitting problem - 1 house/acre please! At least this assignment moves zero kids.

The New Town numbers don't wash. That school's enrollment climbs and stays above cap levels for the forseeable future - even after the grandfathered 5th graders move on (ucps' own numbers below). But why does the cap sunset at the end of 2014/2015? What changes by then to bring the enrollment below 1000? Denied transfers? Trailers? More reassignments and split feeders? Magical thinking?

I think New Town's temporary cap is a band-aid to cover the uh-oh, and I see wisdom in putting off any more invasive/permanent fixes for the the newly seated board.

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/Forecast102914.pdf

Old 11-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
And boom goes the dynamite...

Savage double dipping.

Not good. She has got a big problem now not just with Stewart.

Where there is smoke there usually is fire.

When will people learn. She should have just manned up last month and this never would have been found.
More like pop rocks than dynamite. She was reelected and at the end of the day there is nothing that the BOE can do... turn it over to the DA?... puhlease. I've been much more of a fan, in general, of Stewart than Savage, at least in the way he represents his district and stands by his beliefs, but at this point he's acting like a two year old that had his teddy bear taken away. Your guy was rejected, move on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte