Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM

105 posts, read 117,191 times

Advertisements

We all know that Charlotte is a Great city it it has many things to offer. However it lacks Culture and overall a feel in ethic diversity. Charlotte seams to be a segregated city. meaning that there isn't alot of mingling between races. I have read in many places that Charlotte lacks support of the African-American community. people have pointed out that Charlotte has no "Black Neighborhoods" like larger cities DC, NYC,Atlanta New Orlands. I Have researched and found that there used to be a epicenter for black Owned businesses and Community. It was Called Brooklyn, it was described to be a City within a city. It was the place where all the black people of Charlotte lived worked and went to school. But back in the 80's the city planning committee decided to relocate its residence and level the neighborhood as apart of the Urban Restoration program. but of course they never rebuilt the areas where the black owned businesses and families could return. the area is now what is known as the 2nd ward. I think that in all of its expanding the City has forgotten about the regular everyday person of every color. I have noticed that many of the places in Charlotte are on the higher end or Rent. If Charlotte wants to become a mega-City like Atlanta it has to remember that there has to be affordable areas that the everyday resident can afford to live. also the city need to figure out how it will bring people of major Demographics (African-American, Latino, Young, LGBT, Asian) in large numbers to sustain the growth of the city. And i think that the answer all lies in West-Charlotte. I was Looking on Google Earth and it looks as if Charlotte is expanding north along Tryon rd. which is logical because of the popular neighborhoods like Noda and the university area. with the largely undeveloped land in north Charlotte it is a logical move. However it doesn't look like they are expanding west. it would be my advice that they should develop West-Charlotte as a housing area with their own local Business districts. The Area West of Uptown is large enough to divide it into multiple Neighborhoods. They could dedicate an area for African Americans and another for Latinos and they will still have enough room for a sizable "Gayborhood". I know that Charlotte Hosts a Pride Celebration, but Charlotte still needs a area where the LGBT Community can live that will have Gay-friendly Restaurants, Bars, and Businesses. Also this will allow the numerous gay clubs in Charlotte to relocate to one area so LGBT People wont have to drive long distances to go to LGBT Clubs and events like Drag shows and House Balls. I think that the First thing Charlotte can do to Bring people to these Neighborhoods is to Donate money to the HBCU(Historically black College) Johnson C. Smith University. with the donation Johnson C. Smith University Can Build more Dorms and Expand their Performance Arts Program because Charlotte is supposed to be a city of The Arts they can also Expand their STEM Program. Currently Johnson C. Smith University Only has Arox. 2,000 students. They should Expand it to where it will be able to house and educate Aprox. 10,000 students which is the Same number that NC A&T houses. Investing in Johnson C. Smith University will Bring a huge number of African-Americans to the immediate area. Because JCSU is already in a Black Neighborhood all they will have to do is develop the surrounding area to tailor to the College students. and then radiate from there to create the Black neighborhood. when they are developing this area they have to make sure that the housing in West-Charlotte is affordable for the average person. but also it has to be planned and organized to a way it doesn't look trashy. what are ya'll opinions? and input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
I think you're over thinking this stuff.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Its not that i am Over thinking it. Ive read and herd many people say the same thing. Charlotte has no culture. If Charlotte wants to attract more people to support its fast paced growth they need to make the city appealing and a destination for different demographics. I never hear Charlotte being a destination for Gays, families or Minorities. the city dont cater to any of these areas. The Local school system is sub-par. and there are no Communities that cater to Minorities and the LGBT Communities. the city isnt that diverse. If Charlotte want to attract People they have to appeal to minorities and the everyday person. When you talk to young people, Minorities, Lgbt and even families. they all talk about moving to L.A County, NYC, Miami, San Antonio, Atlanta, DC. and other big cities. But Charlotte is never included in that list. Charlotte dont offer anything for the everyday person,Gays, Minorities or young Families. The only people who talk about moving to Charlotte are NC Locals, Business people, and people looking for retirement. If Charlotte wants to become a Major American Metro. they have to cator to the everyday person and other Demographics.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
Its not that i am Over thinking it. Ive read and herd many people say the same thing. Charlotte has no culture. If Charlotte wants to attract more people to support its fast paced growth they need to make the city appealing and a destination for different demographics. I never hear Charlotte being a destination for Gays, families or Minorities. the city dont cater to any of these areas. The Local school system is sub-par. and there are no Communities that cater to Minorities and the LGBT Communities. the city isnt that diverse. If Charlotte want to attract People they have to appeal to minorities and the everyday person. When you talk to young people, Minorities, Lgbt and even families. they all talk about moving to L.A County, NYC, Miami, San Antonio, Atlanta, DC. and other big cities. But Charlotte is never included in that list. Charlotte dont offer anything for the everyday person,Gays, Minorities or young Families. The only people who talk about moving to Charlotte are NC Locals, Business people, and people looking for retirement. If Charlotte wants to become a Major American Metro. they have to cator to the everyday person and other Demographics.
Why do you think "Charlotte" wants to attract more people? Have you see the stats on how many people continue to move here - year after year?
If Charlotte is not cultured or diverse enough for you - there are lots of other places to live.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Why do you think "Charlotte" wants to attract more people? Have you see the stats on how many people continue to move here - year after year?
If Charlotte is not cultured or diverse enough for you - there are lots of other places to live.
are you serious? maybe because every time you turn around a highway is being widened or built. they are build new housing communities everywhere you turn. Have you even herd of the cities 2020 plan? they plan on the population to increase by half a million by the year of 2020. people are already migrating from Atlanta and NY. and they have a plan to invest in the lite-Rail system and other forms of public transportation. Where do you think all these people are going to come from? thin air? Charlotte obviously is trying to attract people to the city and surrounding area. And it isnt just me that thinks that Charlotte isnt Diverse. I know many young 20 somethings my age minorities and LGBT who say the exact same thing. and they all say they love the city but they dont want to move thee because it isnt diverse. Do you know how many gay people from all over the south and east coast would flock to Charlotte if it was more LGBT Friendly and had a Gayborhood. you might not understand bc you most likely dont fit into the Minority or LGBT category. but a sense if Community and familiarity is very important to people. I am assuming that you are a white person but i am only assuming. would you want to move to a city that was mostly black and Latinos or gay? there were very few white people there. would you feel comfortable there? tell the truth be honest. So you have to understand from the point of view of minorities(black,Latino,Muslim and LGBT etc..) looking for a home. I love Charlotte when i go and visit there. And i am considering moving there. I have college buddys at UNCC and they tell me that the club/party scene and activities for young 20 and 30 somethings is pretty much non existent.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I don't get the whole have to cater to certain group. .. I'm part of a group and I certainly don't want to be catered to. I don't agree with changing the city to be more appealing. America on the whole is diverse in its offering of a variety of places to live. Why would I want Charlotte to change and be more like Miami or New York or San Francisco etc. If people want a more vibrant night life, or a singly concentrated area of one group, or more schools, then go elsewhere that fits your needs. That's the beauty of America.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
Are you suggesting that the city segregate people? That's what it sounds like to me.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,641 times
Charlotte not being appealing for families? That is one criticism of Charlotte that I have never heard….
It is usually the exact opposite complaint. Of Charlotte being great for families, but not as good for singles/young professionals.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 PM

its not segregation. its a fact that people would rather live in places that feel familiar to them and where they are comfortable. its just human nature. would you want to live in a city that was mostly composed of people of a different ethnic background than yourself? i would imagine that that you would feel "lonely" and uncomfortable. i'm not saying that people should be pushed into a corner with only one race of people living there. I'm saying that the city shuld make it to where that its residences are comfortable. also i have read many blogs about how black owned bars/ clubs restaurants do horrible in Charlotte because they dont attract white clientele. ive seen cases of several black owned businesses in uptown fail because they didnt get the traffic. in other words white people don't frequent these places. So if there was an business district within a area with more black residence black business would thrive. and the same goes for Latino and asian owned businesses .

Old 11-08-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Charlotte not being appealing for families? That is one criticism of Charlotte that I have never heard….
It is usually the exact opposite complaint. Of Charlotte being great for families, but not as good for singles/young professionals.
i mean in the terms of the education system. I am fully aware that Charlotte is mostly family oriented. but when it comes to people looking for great top of the line or even a decent school system the Charlotte area dont fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte