Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,390 times

Advertisements

My family and I (husband and 2 young children) are considering moving near Charlotte. I have looked at homes in Huntersville, Davidson, Mooresville, and Cornelius. My husbands new job is in Cornelius. I don't know much about the area, but what place will be good for a young family? With good schools, restaurants, things to do, etc.? Looking for suggestions, pros/cons. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,390 times
I guess it helps to mention that we are looking at houses in the $300k - $500k range. Until we learn more of the area to make the best decision and until we buy a home, my husband will be driving over an hour each way to work and back to where we are living now.

Also, I stay at home with our children, so it'd be nice to somehow be around other mothers so I can make some friends.

If you need more info to give me the best suggestions possible please let me know. I don't want to make the move and dump a bunch of money on a place I'll end up regretting. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:27 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I lived in Cornelius for a bit and liked it. The two main drawbacks are it can be a bit pricey and the commute to uptown can be rough. If you have a job in Cornelius and a decent budget like you do that would probably be my #1 choice. Good schools, near the lake (I am a big fan of Jetton Park), in between Davidson which has the more "quaint" downtown as well as Huntersville which has the newer version in Birkdale Village. And Cornelius does have a few of its own restaurants although a good portion of them are sports bars.

You won't be on the lake or anything, but there should certainly be plenty of nice homes in your price range. One neighborhood that I really liked that should actually be on your low end is Magnolia Estates.

The town of Davidson is a little pricier as it is one of the only really "walkable" towns in the area, although there are also some areas with a Davidson address that aren't really in Davidson (or Mecklenburg County for that matter, so they do have lower taxes and good schools), but if you don't need the walkable aspect that could be an option as well since the commute to Cornelius wouldn't be bad. Much of Huntersville often seems like an extension of Cornelius and is often a bit more reasonably priced, the advantage it has over Cornelius is its closer to Charlotte (I-77 is much better once you get to exit 23), but there are few different schools in Huntersville so you'd have to check that out.

Basically they're all pretty good options, Mooresville would fit most of your criteria as well.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:05 PM

165 posts, read 356,783 times
I have seen the market growing in the Denver area. Lincoln County has cheap taxes, traffic going south is much better on 16 than i77. Growing area.

Find a good Realtor!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 PM

129 posts, read 201,084 times
I am in the process of buying a condo in Cornelius. Found it while working with a wonderful buyer's agent.

If you want her contact info let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte