Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 59,544 times

Advertisements

We just got back from our first scouting trip. My husband has fallen in love with the houses in The Pointe on Lake Norman in Mooresville. It seems very much in the "country" to me. I am a city girl! I want to be close to everything (Upscale malls, etc.) while living in an upscale subdivision. I had my eye on the Ballantyne area. I am afraid that if we move to the lake, I will be spending the day in the car to go places I like to go (how about lunch at trendy restaurants?) I am also concerned about Lake Norman High School not being as good as Ardell Kell.

Can anyone offer unbiased advice and/or food for thought to help me and my husband solve our differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLNomad View Post
We just got back from our first scouting trip. My husband has fallen in love with the houses in The Pointe on Lake Norman in Mooresville. It seems very much in the "country" to me. I am a city girl! I want to be close to everything (Upscale malls, etc.) while living in an upscale subdivision. I had my eye on the Ballantyne area. I am afraid that if we move to the lake, I will be spending the day in the car to go places I like to go (how about lunch at trendy restaurants?) I am also concerned about Lake Norman High School not being as good as Ardell Kell.

Can anyone offer unbiased advice and/or food for thought to help me and my husband solve our differences?
Ardry Kell is brand new this year so it has no track record yet, so to speak. However the new facilities are beautiful and given the demographics populating that school I have no doubt test scores will be good eventually. I know CharlotteAgent knows a lot more about the school situation up in the north end of the county, so hopefully he will chime in and tell you facts about Lake Norman High. From my limited knowledge it has a good reputation.

Living at the lake IS a different lifestyle than living closer into Charlotte and its upscale shopping. Can I ask where you husband has to commute to for work? Really, THAT should be the deciding factor. If he has to go into uptown I would tell him unless he has his own helicopter to take him in, living at the lake is a foolish choice - just my humble opinion!! There is no house or view worth it to me to have to deal with that heavy traffic and aggravating commute day in an day out. If, however, he telecommutes or works out of your home and can avoid traffic the lake area is a good choice. As nice as some things are up at the lake and in the north end of the county, the upscale shopping is definitely in the Southpark area and south Charlotte. South Charlotte also has more arteries taking you in and around it so traffic is not quite the nightmare the lake area is. This is definitely a quality of life issue! Good luck coming to some agreement!!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:14 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLNomad View Post

Birkdale is up there and Northlake Mall. Do you need more upscale than that? I don't have that much money so those stores are fine for me.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Birkdale is up there and Northlake Mall. Do you need more upscale than that? I don't have that much money so those stores are fine for me.
I got the impression she wants places like Neiman Marcus and Voci Spa

Old 11-02-2006, 05:06 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
I think you would do well in Ballantyne or South Park areas if that's what you're looking for. It has much more of a suburban feel at this point with access to "lite" retail as well as malls. Let me know if I can help in any way and best of luck to you!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
I really can't go into great detail about the schools other than basic answers. As previously stated Ardell Kellm is a new school will probably do well.

The lake is more casual to me there are plans for added exits on the interstate to help with traffic woes. Unless you plan on walking until the light rail in S. Charlotte gets up and running you maybe in the car there too.

You and your husband just need to write down what you both enjoy about the area and try to find that happy medium. If you have an specific questions please let me know.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I got the impression she wants places like Neiman Marcus and Voci Spa
I think so too I can't afford that So I'm happy looking at the lake.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 25,495 times
I think that you would love to live in the lake norman area, and then you could just take I85 over to BillyGrahm Pkwy to Tyvola (which turns into Fairview) and the mall is on your left. It has all the rich stores (500 dollar shirts, pocket books, etc.) it is very easy to find it is called South Park Mall. That is the one thing that I like about Charlotte and that is how everything is only a short drive away. You could also take I77 to Tyvola and turn Left and that will take you to Fairview as well. Good luck with what you decide.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Angel View Post
I think that you would love to live in the lake norman area, and then you could just take I85 over to BillyGrahm Pkwy to Tyvola (which turns into Fairview) and the mall is on your left. It has all the rich stores (500 dollar shirts, pocket books, etc.) it is very easy to find it is called South Park Mall. That is the one thing that I like about Charlotte and that is how everything is only a short drive away. You could also take I77 to Tyvola and turn Left and that will take you to Fairview as well. Good luck with what you decide.
I know I'm gonna love it. Thanks for the driving tip.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:36 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
Heck some of the stores at Birkdale have those prices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte