Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job hunter seeking employment suggestions and strategies for work in Charlotte area, have; MBA education, several years of working experience

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:57 PM

11 posts, read 42,042 times

Advertisements

I have an MBA and tons of experience but don't know where to turn. I have posted my resume on some sites but I only hear from head hunters, not too many employers. One site even was posting jobs that they did not have and never returned phone calls, I had to call their home office.

Then I tried going to employers' site but I found I was spending hours just trying to post my resume. They all have very specific information requests, which is a waste of my time because the information is already on my resume. I guess they are just too lazy to read them.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,320 times
Call HR where you want to work

Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 AM

560 posts, read 1,548,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunriver777 View Post
I have an MBA and tons of experience but don't know where to turn. I have posted my resume on some sites but I only hear from head hunters, not too many employers. One site even was posting jobs that they did not have and never returned phone calls, I had to call their home office.

Then I tried going to employers' site but I found I was spending hours just trying to post my resume. They all have very specific information requests, which is a waste of my time because the information is already on my resume. I guess they are just too lazy to read them.

Thanks
Why don't you go North to places like DC, NYC, NJ, Philly, Massachusetts or west to California (L.A County, Pacific Palisades, SF, San jose), etc? These are major cities, with lots of work, lots to do and lots of diversity. Charlotte is a small southern town, not much opportunity for people with your education/experience. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Why don't you go North to places like DC, NYC, NJ, Philly, Massachusetts or west to California (L.A County, Pacific Palisades, SF, San jose), etc? These are major cities, with lots of work, lots to do and lots of diversity. Charlotte is a small southern town, not much opportunity for people with your education/experience. Best of luck to you!

This is not very good advice. Charlotte is a decent sized CITY and there are a lot of opportunities here for people with advanced education and experience. You have to remember that there are a large amount of people relocating here so the competition is tough. Most of my clients have had luck but only because they were very diligent and aggressive in their search.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM

197 posts, read 668,571 times
Would you consider on-line teaching (at college level)?
This field is growing very fast, and this universities are constantly looking for experienced professionals with advanced degrees.
...And you can work from home :-)

Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:

Plenty of work in Phoenix too.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
Quote:
This comment makes no sense to me. Those are bigger cities, but the size of the city doesn't always help and LA and PHoenix are struggling big right now. Your in Charlotte looking for work and their is plenty of opportunity in Charlotte, its tough out there everywhere, but jobs are out there. Story from today's paper.
Charlotte Observer | 01/04/2008 | Jobless rate hits 5 percent, 2-year high (http://www.charlotte.com/business/breaking_news/story/430074.html - broken link)

The online sites, you do get non company people calling you, but many smaller companies have to use recruiting agencies or "headhunters", they don't have the Recruiting staff of the larger companies. Even companies like Pepsi and IBM use head hunters. So don't fear them, in fact embrace them, they can be your best friends. Many companies are also doing contractors and work-to-hire not a bad thing either, unless you need benefits right away.

I know the company sites can be difficult, but thats your best bet. If you are looking for work, you are going to have to put some effort into it. I remember when I was looking 2 years ago, I spent 6 hours a day online filling out websites and posting and networking. That was my job. Though I was able to do it my PJ's WOOT!.. anyway.. Companies are hiring, what do you want to do, just the MBA means nothing, if you want to be a doctor. I assume you want to do something in business, does contract negotiations, supplier management, data Analsyis, Finance, Operations appeal to you?

BofA, Wachovia, Lowes, Family Dollar, GoodRich, Accenture are all hiring still, so I would at least go to their sites.

Check out the Charlotte Business Journal for some hiring news as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
In regards to the comment from Tatiana1. I am native to this area and I resent your comment. Let me just say this. Opportunity in Charlotte (or any other area) is what you make of it. Anyone that has the drive to get thier MBA should have no problems getting work in one of the largest banking cities in the country. As far as business goes this city is booming. Pick up a copy of The Greater Charlotte Biz and you will find a great source of contacts to start. It's ignorant comments like this that make me think if Charlotte is such a small town with little opportunity then why do so many people keep moving here?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Default Charlotte Job Fair

Here is notice of Charlotte Job Fair on Monster.

US-NC-Charlotte-Monster.com Charlotte Job Fair - January 28 - FREE ADMISSION! (http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=66854780&aid=59558220-418&WT.mc_n=MKT000351 - broken link)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 43,368 times
Default Yep.

Charlotte's great, if you're into banking, banking, or possibly banking. There's more to do than that, of course, but BofA, Wachovia, and TIAA-CREF are doing OK despite the mortgage writedowns and recent layoffs. I work for Wachovia, and we've lost a few folks, but that won't last forever, and some replacements are showing up already.

Meanwhile, know this: if you find a posting on anyone's site - BofA, for example - it is not always likely to be a real posting. Federal laws require employers MUST post their jobs somehow, and the hiring companies will post them even after they are filled to fulfill that obligation. Monster, Dice, and the lot are famous for this as well. I read somewhere that about 10% of job postings are for real, and that includes short order cooks and bus drivers, not to mention executives with MBAs.

The best way in the door? Recruiters. The only people who speak directly to hiring managers are account executives from SMCI, Apex, Sapphire, Robert Half (ugh), Analysts International, etc. Most postings are for temp/contract work, but not all of them, and it's a way in.

Two years ago I sent (literally) 1500 resumes to postings via Monster, Dice, and directly to corporations - I got 7 phone calls, and when I finally got a job it was a recruiter cold calling because she'd seen my profile on Dice.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: