Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM

371 posts, read 526,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Comparing Newton to Tebow who is out of the league? Seriously? Cam didn't just have a "great freshman season," he had three very good seasons to start out his career. He's not a top 5 QB, but he's definitely in the top half of QB's in the league. He was playing injured (and unlike RG3 he actually has the size to take some hits) earlier this year, has no line and his defense/special teams hasn't been a lot of help this year either...2 blocked punts for TD's, really?
he has not had three very good seasons. He had a great freshman season, but his running TDs have gone down with each season: 14 in 2011, 8 in 2012, 6 in 2013 and 2 of far in 2014. The passing stats have not necessarily increased: he has 76 TD for his time in the league and 52 INTs, not a great ratio. He has 12 TDs and 10 INTs so far this year. Everyone makes excuses for him: 1) the offensive line 2) the receivers, everything. He has a #1 receiver in Kelvin Benjamin (who is a rookie) and Kalil is an stalwart on the offensive line. Most teams don't have one player of his capability.

Not that it matters but Scam Newton was at Florida during the same time as Tebow before Cam got kicked out.He also lied to investigators I believe when he was declared ineligible. I still think what happened to Reggie Bush will happen to Scam and the Heisman will be taken away. His dad tried to shop him around the SEC, but the NCAA opened Pandora's box by saying Scam Newton didn't know about it so he could be eligible. That was a ridiculous decision.

I wish I had Minnesota D is fantasy football this week. The two blocked punts were crazy, that punter will e looking for a new job sooner rather than later.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 PM

136 posts, read 106,352 times
putting him in the top 16 QB's is a stretch....i guess you could make an argument for it, but its not a no brainer

Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
It isn't Cam's fault the O-Line can't block and the offensive coordinator is incompetent. Gettleman didn't do the team any favors by running off every receiver sans Greg Olson either. Not trying to make excuses, but "it is what it is". Newton did great under Chudzinski. I think this is the final year of his rookie contract, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the offseason. Panthers need to spend their first two picks on the O-line before anything else.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,207 times
Quote:
Comparing Newton to Tebow who is out of the league? Seriously? Cam didn't just have a "great freshman season," he had three very good seasons to start out his career. He's not a top 5 QB, but he's definitely in the top half of QB's in the league. He was playing injured (and unlike RG3 he actually has the size to take some hits) earlier this year, has no line and his defense/special teams hasn't been a lot of help this year either...2 blocked punts for TD's, really?
i agree with this, and I've been a cam basher. Horrible o'line, lost his number 1 receiver. Dont even try to compare benjamin to smitty. benjamin has just as good of chance to be a bust, as a star. the kid has serious issues with drops, and he has been playing hurt. I think gettleman needs to go. not addressing the o line was a mistake. I'll have some extra money this year. I think Ill pick up some psl's they will be cheap.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:39 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
he has not had three very good seasons. He had a great freshman season, but his running TDs have gone down with each season: 14 in 2011, 8 in 2012, 6 in 2013 and 2 of far in 2014. The passing stats have not necessarily increased: he has 76 TD for his time in the league and 52 INTs, not a great ratio. He has 12 TDs and 10 INTs so far this year. Everyone makes excuses for him: 1) the offensive line 2) the receivers, everything. He has a #1 receiver in Kelvin Benjamin (who is a rookie) and Kalil is an stalwart on the offensive line. Most teams don't have one player of his capability.

Not that it matters but Scam Newton was at Florida during the same time as Tebow before Cam got kicked out.He also lied to investigators I believe when he was declared ineligible. I still think what happened to Reggie Bush will happen to Scam and the Heisman will be taken away. His dad tried to shop him around the SEC, but the NCAA opened Pandora's box by saying Scam Newton didn't know about it so he could be eligible. That was a ridiculous decision.

I wish I had Minnesota D is fantasy football this week. The two blocked punts were crazy, that punter will e looking for a new job sooner rather than later.
I never said he was doing well this year. But in his first three seasons, his QB rating and more importantly, the team's wins, increased each year.

Not sure what happened to him at Florida or even before college (the latter of which appeared to be his dad's fault, not his) has to do with now, 6+ years later. If you want to talk about what he did in college, then it's probably worth bringing up the fact that he won championships in both his years as a starter.

I've already said IMO he seems to be a lot more mature now personally at least than when he first came into the league. Sure, he's got some things he can work on as a player, but it's no guarantee that someone they draft would be any better and as has been said they have several other holes on the team that many would argue are bigger.

Olsen is a great TE and Benjamin is good, probably better than Smith at this point, but that's about it. Most of the great QB's other than maybe Brady (who at least has Gronkowski) have better weapons than Cam. But in case you haven't noticed Tom Brady's don't grow on trees. Throw in the fact that despite all the money they've spent on the running game it hasn't done anything and the defense hasn't been nearly as good as it was last year and you have a situation that there are probably only a couple QB's at best out there that could succeed in.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:10 AM

533 posts, read 936,491 times
Cam is not a bad QB. He is simply on a VERY BAD team atm.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:27 PM

373 posts, read 778,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
This is the same reasoning as to why people say Eli Manning is playing poorly, a lackluster offensive line. Both him and Cam were No. 1 overall picks and I don't buy that excuse. Cam especially should be able to use his mobility when the pocket breaks down.

Cam is like RG3, a suspect passer but good runner. Also see Vince Young who is currently out of the league working back at U of Texas. It is possible that RG3 might be out of the league very soon, he will at the least not be in Washington after this season.

Cam is also a ***** to the NFL system. He is one of these guys that was able to play the position in college, but his success at the NFL level would always be limited. He followed the same path as RG3 and Vince where both QBs had great freshman seasons, but then the wheels fell over not soon after. This also happened with Tim Tebow, a mobile QB. All of these guys have focused on hoarding cash by filming commercials and singing endorsements versus making their game better. I think they know that their careers are not going to last that long so they need to get as much as they can. Cam Newton also only played one season of college football at Auburn and got kicked out of Florida for stealing a laptop that he threw out the window when cops came by.

I doubt that Cam will be getting that raise with the rookie wage scale. He is due to get a salary equal to the top 5 players at his position if the Panthers resign him. A salary that he definitely doesn't deserve.

Beware of Marcus Mariota out of Oregon in the draft. He is also a running QB. Also, Oregon QBs have been horrible in the NFL (Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, AJ Feeley . . . .)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
It goes without saying that any QB needs protection. That being said, he isn't accurate….all his throws seem high. He doesn't read defenses. He is literally look at his primary receiver, if that person is covered, tuck it and run. Same with RG3….That running/pistol offense crap is great for college, the NFL isn't college. There aren't any NW Hicktown State defenses to beat 82-0….What is a concern about Cam, he is NOT accurate. You can teach someone to read defenses. Its pretty hard to teach "Accuracy" at this point, you should have that when you get to the NFL
Comparisons:
- Eli Manning is actually a great example.
Though his skills are diminished, you are talking about a two time Super Bowl Champion and a future Hall of Famer. More facts that back up the necessity for a quality O-line.

- Cam is the real deal compared to RG3.
Cam has three good years and one bad one.
He also set records for productivity his rookie year.
RG3 has half of one good year out of three years.

Circumstances:
- Cam currently has a fractured rib and an ankle injury that he sustained in college that never healed.
He had surgery in the offseason to correct it, but the rehab from that surgery is still ongoing, and Cam essentially has that same injury.
Hard to run and scramble when you cannot breath and you can barely walk.

Loss of Players.
- The Panthers #1 and #2 Receivers were let go. One of which is the all time Panthers leading receiver.
The other receiver is leading his new team in reception yards.

- Jordan Gross retired and the O-line is depleted from the previous year.

- Our defense has taken a step backwards and our franchised best defensive player cannot even take the field due to legal trouble.

Current Play:
- Cam is currently performing poorly.
He is over-throwing, not reading defenses well, and too often stares down his #1 option.
This has not always been the case.

- Keep in mind that he has no time to read through his progressions.
The opponents defensive front four is all over him by the time he takes his last step in his drop-back.

- The Offensive Coordinator is not making adjustments to allow Cam to make the best of the circumstances with the O-line and his injuries.

- The Coaching staff limits Cam's freedom to audible and change the play call when needed.

- The receivers don't seem to do a good job of getting separation.

- Winning QBs don't have all of these bad things happening all at one time.
You have to look at what is actually possible and not possible with the talent around you.

Summery:
Cam has the talent.
His QB skills need to improve, but he has shown those skills often when it is crunch time and matters most.
He is having a bad year, but would not be the first QB to have a bad year and go on to great success.
There is also a place for a running QB.
Just look at Steve Young for example.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I never said he was doing well this year. But in his first three seasons, his QB rating and more importantly, the team's wins, increased each year.

Not sure what happened to him at Florida or even before college (the latter of which appeared to be his dad's fault, not his) has to do with now, 6+ years later. If you want to talk about what he did in college, then it's probably worth bringing up the fact that he won championships in both his years as a starter.

I've already said IMO he seems to be a lot more mature now personally at least than when he first came into the league. Sure, he's got some things he can work on as a player, but it's no guarantee that someone they draft would be any better and as has been said they have several other holes on the team that many would argue are bigger.

Olsen is a great TE and Benjamin is good, probably better than Smith at this point, but that's about it. Most of the great QB's other than maybe Brady (who at least has Gronkowski) have better weapons than Cam. But in case you haven't noticed Tom Brady's don't grow on trees. Throw in the fact that despite all the money they've spent on the running game it hasn't done anything and the defense hasn't been nearly as good as it was last year and you have a situation that there are probably only a couple QB's at best out there that could succeed in.
the defense isnt as good as last year due to fact they cut their entire starting secondary and Hardy is out

Old 12-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Just curious....at 3-8-1, does he still think the Superman pose is a good idea? smh

Old 12-01-2014, 06:04 PM

444 posts, read 582,205 times
Default Lol

The savior quarterback got his pay day and no longer has a care in the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte