Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 17,542 times

Advertisements

ok heres the situation. I started my college career years ago in 2000. At Guilford college in fall of 2000 i had to withdraw due to personal issues after only 2 months. So, i came back to charlotte and the next spring 2001 semester i went to CPCC. i did not tell them on attending guilford college. However, the first semester there i did ok, but then the second semester (fall 2001) i basically said forget this stuff and didnt withdraw...therefor i ended up with 12 credit hours of all F's. At this point, my parents paid for everything then they said they would never pay again. so a few years went by and i realized that i needed to go back to school. In 2003 i applied as a NEW college student at Gaston college and didnt give any college transcrips for anywhere. I used financial aid and all was well. So in the fall of 2003 i actually had great grades in my "first" semester at college. i did great the next semester but stopped after i had 21 credits there. life happened and i ended up having a few kids. i then took a 2 year break. in the fall of 2005 i came back and used financial aid again, but didnt stay in my classes long enough for the cut off and was told that i owed them $1200. well i ddint have the money so i just stopped going there.

I attempted to go to guilford tech and applied for financial aid. I did not get it becuase they said they needed transcrips from gaston college, which i could not get becuase i owed them money. So i applied to cleveland college and got in. I used financial aid and it worked. However, the school had it out for me and they then told me that i now owe them $1900 back from the finacial aid pell. They lied and said i ran up charges in the book store...a total lie. so i could not enroll for another semester with them unitl the fake fees were paid. Anyway i then applied to winston salem state university and was able to use financial aid. They said since i was a white girl i was also eligable for minority scholarships. basically i stayed there a semester and was able to get student loans from the gov plus the pell grant. Now they claim i owe them $5000 for the pell. i had great grades the first semester, but the second semester ended up being all F's and two withdraws. I recently tried to get my life together again. So i called back CPCC and they said i was still a student there since i never officially withdrew from the campus all those years ago. SO i felt relieved that there was still somewhre i could go without paying any old dues.i tried for the financial aid and now they have said something about unusual enrollment and they need transcripts. but i dont know how to get aroudn this becuase i cant get those transcripts, i own thousands. Also, why do they need that? I attended CPCC BEFORE any of the other colleges, so why does it matter?

My other question is if i just go back to gason college and pay the balance, will it be smooth sailing? im planning on going to UNCG but there transfer applicants need 24 credits or more, so i need to still take another class at gaston college...OR just lie and give UNCG my high school transcript and come in as adult learner who has never been to college before. CAN THEY FIND OUT ABOUT ALL OF MY OTHER SCHOOLS IF I DONT APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID? DO I REALLY NEED TO CARE ABOUT ANY OF THE OTHER SCHOOLS FINDING OUT? i just want to finish something that was started long ago with out getting caught. what should i do now? AND wouldnt it be a wast of time and money paying back all of those schools??? ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS APPRECIATED. iM NOT PROUD ABOUT WHAT I DID, BUT I STILL WANT TO GRADUATE AND HAVE A LIFE. THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:29 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
college isn't for everybody...

Old 11-11-2014, 02:29 PM

363 posts, read 444,986 times
It sounds like you should go to jail if you want the truth. I'm glad my taxes go to give you $5000 that you aren't going to pay back. I'm no lawyer but it sounds like borderline fraud.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:35 PM

thanks for being so helpful. it wasnt fraud...i was given financial aid based off of tax information that is legit.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missncnj82 View Post
thanks for being so helpful. it wasnt fraud...i was given financial aid based off of tax information that is legit.
You lied about going to different schools and didn't pay back previous debts, then accepted more money based on these lies, which you still haven't paid back. I'm pretty sure that is fraud? If not fraud, extremely messed up, and ignorant. This is the problem with the student loan problem in this country. You have to pay this money back, its not just a free gift. You asked wouldn't it be a waste of time to pay this money back. WHAT? Paying back loans isn't a damn option. I sure as hell do not want to be responsible for your debts. You have made poor decisions. You need to pay the money back before you think about doing anything. You are asking people how to mislead the government/lenders to gain money you probably have no intention of ever paying back. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:57 PM

527 posts, read 744,436 times
Quote:
So i applied to cleveland college and got in. I used financial aid and it worked. However, the school had it out for me and they then told me that i now owe them $1900 back from the finacial aid pell.
The school had it out for you? That made me chuckle.

Other than that, I would say go to work, pay your debts, and then work on getting back into college. I get life happens and we can find ourselves in difficult situations but you are only going to perpetuate the issue by trying to continue to game the system.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Wow. Just wow.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:08 PM

@tdm51

of course im paying the LOANS back. i was talking about NOT PAYING BACK the monies that the schools said that i owed back for the PELL grants since i didnt stay in classes long enough

Old 11-11-2014, 03:13 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
Quote:
ok heres the situation. I started my college career years ago in 2000. At Guilford college in fall of 2000 i had to withdraw due to personal issues after only 2 months. So, i came back to charlotte and the next spring 2001 semester i went to CPCC. i did not tell them on attending guilford college. However, the first semester there i did ok, but then the second semester (fall 2001) i basically said forget this stuff and didnt withdraw...therefor i ended up with 12 credit hours of all F's. At this point, my parents paid for everything then they said they would never pay again. so a few years went by and i realized that i needed to go back to school. In 2003 i applied as a NEW college student at Gaston college and didnt give any college transcrips for anywhere. I used financial aid and all was well. So in the fall of 2003 i actually had great grades in my "first" semester at college. i did great the next semester but stopped after i had 21 credits there. life happened and i ended up having a few kids. i then took a 2 year break. in the fall of 2005 i came back and used financial aid again, but didnt stay in my classes long enough for the cut off and was told that i owed them $1200. well i ddint have the money so i just stopped going there.

I attempted to go to guilford tech and applied for financial aid. I did not get it becuase they said they needed transcrips from gaston college, which i could not get becuase i owed them money. So i applied to cleveland college and got in. I used financial aid and it worked. However, the school had it out for me and they then told me that i now owe them $1900 back from the finacial aid pell. They lied and said i ran up charges in the book store...a total lie. so i could not enroll for another semester with them unitl the fake fees were paid. Anyway i then applied to winston salem state university and was able to use financial aid. They said since i was a white girl i was also eligable for minority scholarships. basically i stayed there a semester and was able to get student loans from the gov plus the pell grant. Now they claim i owe them $5000 for the pell. i had great grades the first semester, but the second semester ended up being all F's and two withdraws. I recently tried to get my life together again. So i called back CPCC and they said i was still a student there since i never officially withdrew from the campus all those years ago. SO i felt relieved that there was still somewhre i could go without paying any old dues.i tried for the financial aid and now they have said something about unusual enrollment and they need transcripts. but i dont know how to get aroudn this becuase i cant get those transcripts, i own thousands. Also, why do they need that? I attended CPCC BEFORE any of the other colleges, so why does it matter?

My other question is if i just go back to gason college and pay the balance, will it be smooth sailing? im planning on going to UNCG but there transfer applicants need 24 credits or more, so i need to still take another class at gaston college...OR just lie and give UNCG my high school transcript and come in as adult learner who has never been to college before. CAN THEY FIND OUT ABOUT ALL OF MY OTHER SCHOOLS IF I DONT APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID? DO I REALLY NEED TO CARE ABOUT ANY OF THE OTHER SCHOOLS FINDING OUT? i just want to finish something that was started long ago with out getting caught. what should i do now? AND wouldnt it be a wast of time and money paying back all of those schools??? ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS APPRECIATED. iM NOT PROUD ABOUT WHAT I DID, BUT I STILL WANT TO GRADUATE AND HAVE A LIFE. THANKS.
If you are not proud of what you did, pay your debts and start with a clean slate.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
@tdm51

of course im paying the LOANS back. i was talking about NOT PAYING BACK the monies that the schools said that i owed back for the PELL grants since i didnt stay in classes long enough
Quote:

Call me crazy but that looks like you are trying to not pay it back. I don't think college is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte