Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 AM

184 posts, read 337,697 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am thinking about using Uber for the first time to CLT next week and I wanted to know if anyone have used this service in Charlotte. I am going to select UberX to the airport and on the way back I will select UberXL. Which vehicles do they use for UberX and XL? Is the airport ok with Uber rides? I am asking cause I heard in certain states they imposed restrictions on Uber taxis picking people at airports. Please share your experiences with Uber. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:17 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,663 times
You can use Uber too and from the airport. Unlike taxis, Uber drivers simply cannot 'hang-out' on airport property while they wait for pick-up requests. UberX can be anything from a Civic to an SUV. UberXL are vehicles that seat 6+ people, so could be any vehicle with 3 rows of seats from a Caravan to Suburban.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
The TSA does not allow Uber drivers to pickup or drop-off at airports. It is illegal regardless of what Uber says. Uber drivers who do so risk receiving citations and potential heavy fines. I'm not sure if the TSa would also issue a citation to the passenger if they knowingly used Uber in this way. Stick with a taxi.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
The TSA does not allow Uber drivers to pickup or drop-off at airports. It is illegal regardless of what Uber says. Uber drivers who do so risk receiving citations and potential heavy fines. I'm not sure if the TSa would also issue a citation to the passenger if they knowingly used Uber in this way. Stick with a taxi.
Actually airports across the US are allowing Uber, Lyft etc. I've searched but not found anything that bans Uber beyond the fact they can't wait there at the pickup areas. As of August of this year they were allowed to pick up/drop off.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:24 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,492 times
^ I agree. The benefit of Uber is you get info on vehicle, photo of driver and cell number. I used Uber in nyc and communicated prior to pick up and driver looks for your description and holds up sign when he approaches you.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
My brother is a driver for Uber and just received his second citation from RDU, so he will no longer do airport pickups or drop-offs. They track the Uber drivers by monitoring their GPS systems and know when they're in the vicinity of the airport property.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
My brother is a driver for Uber and just received his second citation from RDU, so he will no longer do airport pickups or drop-offs. They track the Uber drivers by monitoring their GPS systems and know when they're in the vicinity of the airport property.
Surely it's the airport/police rather than the TSA who are giving the citations at RDU?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:40 PM

184 posts, read 337,697 times
thanks for the replies, yeah it seems quite odd that TSA would be concerned with Uber. I would think that they would have more serious issues to deal with. Also let me know if anyone has personally used UberX to CLT airport? thx

Last edited by shovad; 11-15-2014 at 05:49 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 06:49 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Was he waiting at the airport? So odd that he got citations for just being from uber. I couldn't find anything online that is not allowed. In fact I see the opposite written in the observer articles and numerous sites. I did see there were complaints against uber and lyft from the taxi owners losing fares.

Oh wait RDU?

Old 11-15-2014, 06:51 PM

24 posts, read 43,154 times
They are good. They pick you up at the terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte