Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 45,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
As a future resident of NC I have been reading the Charlotte Observer on a daily basis. What I have found and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the majority of heavy crimes(murder,robbery,home invasions) occur inside the 485 loop. I have a son that may be attending UNC-Charlotte and I have see many crimes being commited in the area and even on campus by the locals. Are my observations accurate, please advise, thanks

UNC Charlotte has an online newspaper, it has a section that reports crime
on campus. It is called nineronline.com.
I work about 2 miles from the campus and do not fear being at any of the areas around it for lunch or at any of the functions that I attend in the evenings, close to or on the campus.
The population in Charlotte is more compacted into a central area, mostly inside the I485 loop, the outside borders with ajoining counties, so it would be true to say that the most crime happens within its borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 01:51 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,039 times
bundydad, you shouldn't be that concerned about the crimes around UNC Charlotte its pretty safe. There will always will be some wacko so it can never be 100% safe.

As for getting a sub. to Charlotte Observer I wouldn't waste your money on it. Read it online. Its junk!

Old 08-25-2006, 02:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
As for getting a sub. to Charlotte Observer I wouldn't waste your money on it. Read it online. Its junk!
Are there any other papers that you would recommend in the area?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 PM

153 posts, read 563,117 times
Quote:
What I have found and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the majority of heavy crimes(murder,robbery,home invasions) occur inside the 485 loop.
Yes, that is correct since inside the 485 loop is where Charlotte is located! Outside the loop is just sprawling suburbia, part of Mecklenburg County but not necessarily Charlotte.
Quote:
I have a son that may be attending UNC-Charlotte and I have see many crimes being commited in the area and even on campus by the locals. Are my observations accurate, please advise, thanks
Generally speaking, you can expect increased crime around most any university area simply because of the increased population of angry youth in a concentrated area.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
Mecklenburg times is ok... more bus. than gossip.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 AM

153 posts, read 563,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
Rhinoceros Times is a good read and serves as a political barometer for the city, shining light on the big issues of the area. Definitely worth checking out.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:26 AM

237 posts, read 855,475 times
Default Moving to Charlotte

Hello,

My wife and I will be moving from New York to Charlotte later this month. We have rented an apartment temporarily in SE Charlotte near matthews, close to Sardis road. Does anyone know about this area i.e crime, and any recommendations. Also, we will be looking to buy a home in the next six months, and are considering areas such as, mooresville, sherrills ford, matthews, southpark, Davidson area, and Waxhaw. If anyone has any info on these areas. Thanks for the help

Old 06-09-2007, 07:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I will be moving from New York to Charlotte later this month. We have rented an apartment temporarily in SE Charlotte near matthews, close to Sardis road. Does anyone know about this area i.e crime, and any recommendations. Also, we will be looking to buy a home in the next six months, and are considering areas such as, mooresville, sherrills ford, matthews, southpark, Davidson area, and Waxhaw. If anyone has any info on these areas. Thanks for the help
That area is for the most part ok.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:43 AM

928 posts, read 3,850,915 times
Funny how many times in this thread that gastonia is mentioned as being bad area.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 PM

237 posts, read 855,475 times
Thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte