U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 62,396 times
Default Substitute Teaching in Charlotte?

What is the process for becoming a substitute teacher in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM

806 posts, read 1,829,808 times
Each county school system has a separate process but it basically involves an application, evidence of a degree of some type, background check. If you don't have teaching experience they may offer a crash course in how to manage a classroom. I looked on the CMS web site, it wasn't very helpful and didn't include a link on "become a substitute teacher."

Here's what I did find....it shows pay scale along with some other things.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/HR/subTA/index.asp - broken link)

I suggest calling the main number and see who you are transferred to. 980-343-3000

Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,608,846 times
Here is a site which will answer many of your questions about substitute teaching in CMS. Depending on where you live or will live, I'd also investigate the independent schools. This way you might get a long term assignment as some of my acquaintances have. If you let us know where you will live, we can probably help you find which schools might geographically be best for you.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/HR/subTA/index.asp - broken link)

Here's a site for Union County:

http://hr.ucps.k12.nc.us/substitute.htm (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM

533 posts, read 1,057,946 times
yeah, you will find all the info you need on the district sites. after you hand in your paperwork, be prepared to wait a while before they aprove you and you can start working. if you have any q's about subbing for union county schools specifically just let me know. i started subbing for union county elementary schools in sept on the days that i am not at my internship site (for school counseling). i love it.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 62,396 times
I live in zip code 28277. I'm assuming the process is different for independent schools vs. public. Any suggestions for independent schools?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,608,846 times
You are most likely closest to Charlotte Latin, but not too far from Charlotte Country Day's Middle School on Green Rea Road. If you continue down Carmel Road after the CCDS middle school you'd come to the CCDS elementary and high school. Providence Day, Charlotte Christian and Charlotte Prep wouldn't be too far east on Fairview/Sardis Road either. Except for the time of day when you'd probably be on the road you'd have no trouble getting to the independent schools.

I don't know the process for applying to these schools. I'd call each one and find out what their particular process is. Even better, go to the office of each school and introduce yourself. I think that this would give you a good entree into the school.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 28,003 times
I have been trying to get into the Union County schools for over a year. When I lived in NJ, I was required to take the Praxis exam for Highly Qualified Paraprofessionals and passed with 100%. It seems so difficult to get in. I am considering taking the sub route and have gotten my clearance to work in the schools but I hear the process is long.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 27,628 times
Can anyone tell me what the rate of pay for sub-teacher in Charlotte
I could not find it on the web site
Thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM

806 posts, read 1,829,808 times
Substitutes who have a teacher's license can probably earn $75 or so per school day. Without a license, it's probably, $50-60.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM

4,227 posts, read 3,971,864 times
I would suggest that you check to see how much substitute teachers are paid. It is BBBAAAADDD! I think that the top for the day is $60. with a teaching certificate. I would look into McDonalds. Pay is better and you will get lots more respect. Actually, I am just kidding about McDonalds. I have a certification in teaching and may teach when I move to Cornelius. Teacher pay is pretty good in the area, but subs. are really underpaid. And it is always so hard to get quality substitute teachers. Good luck and it is quite easy to look up information on the internet under Charlotte/Mecklenburg Schools homepage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace9090 View Post
What is the process for becoming a substitute teacher in Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte