Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times

Advertisements

Then you need to get with your child's teacher or give in conjunction with school other things to do. They can move them up a grade..have you spoken to the principal? is the child gifted in multiple areas, are they bright or truly gifted. I read a lot on the subject years ago b/c of my oldest. Do some digging, the book I read (can't remember off the top of my head) gave information on how to talk to your school though as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Thank you all so much for your answers. I guess another problem is that child#1 is 8 , child #2 is only 1.5. I have no way of knowing what child #2 will need. Isn't it true that if your first child is gifted, your other children have a much higher chance of being gifted?

Another problem - Union Co is doing NOTHING for this child. AIG doesn't start until 4th grade. This child is completely bored and does not even want to go to school anymore.
Well, I can help you better now that I know your kids ages With this much of an age difference between your kids you should have NO qualms about doing all you can to get your gifted child in whatever private or charter school you need to right away. Trust me, if there is more than six years between siblings it is like they are "only children" in many ways. By the time your youngest is 8 many things will have changed - not the least of which is that you and your husband will most likely be more comfortable financially and private school tuition less of a problem.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times
btw, all 3 of my kids are VERY different, all very very bright but they learn differently, their temperaments are different and their patience is different as well.
Plus we found out that just because it is private doesn't always mean anything...you might get better academics but you may also encounter other things that you don't want your child around, we sent our son briefly to a very uppity preparatory school in SC and while the academics were great, the student body and their parents left MUCH MUCH MUCH to be desired, unless you were bringing in six figures...you really didn't seem to count in their world...just my .02. Schools are going to be what you make of them, good teachers, bad teachers, bad mixes of students/teachers or learning/teaching styles. Parenting your child, being involved and being their advocate (not their fallback or scapegoat though) is the best thing you can do.

Last edited by resident; 01-02-2008 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: added

Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 PM

379 posts, read 645,109 times
No, she is gifted. The school has all of the testing. It actually showed a 33 point diff in one area (psy concerned about a disability). School said she gets straight A's so they won't do anything. They said she was out of the tests range in the other area.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
No, she is gifted. The school has all of the testing. It actually showed a 33 point diff in one area (psy concerned about a disability). School said she gets straight A's so they won't do anything. They said she was out of the tests range in the other area.
This is a problem with our public schools in NC - they wait to address the truly gifted until 4th grade. Burgi, I think you have a case for looking for other alternatives for sure. If you are not able to get a scholarship to one of the private ones do look into the awesome charter schools in the area okay?

One more question, are you by chance African American or another minority? Sometimes this will be a criteria for getting into a private school as they all want to increase their diversity numbers.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
burgi I DM'd you

Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
I second this suggestion. I know this is a CMS charter, but they also accept Union County students who qualify and may take other counties, not sure. But, it is FREE and an excellent school.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
There is a school in Charlotte for high-IQ children. It is a charter school called Metrolina Scholars' Academy. I don't know the process for getting your child in there, but you might check into it -- and the other charter schools in our area. There is Socrates Academy, Union Academy and a few others. Good luck to you.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 AM

14 posts, read 39,700 times
Yes contact the school (Metrolina Regional Scholar's Academy) in Ballantyne area and see if they have any openings for an 8 year old. Check their web site. One of their admission cretria is high IQ. All kids in the school learn at 1 to 2 grade levels above their age.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,241 times
I really like the way this thread is going! The idea of looking at the public school options before looking at independent schools is very healthy for education in Charlotte. Back in the day when my kids were starting school. we were not offered the options of charter schools, IB programs and Montessori programs. While my kids received first class educations at one of the independent schools, I can assure you that, as a strong supporter of public education, had we had these other options they would have been my first choice. So Bravo to all of you who are investigating and perhaps choosing these options. Good luck to all of you.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM

379 posts, read 645,109 times
I have actually been looking into the charter school quite a bit today. It looks very promising. I am slightly disappointed in their choices for physically challenging extra curricular activities but I CAN afford to BUY her the BEST in that category!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte