Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:02 PM

444 posts, read 582,071 times

Advertisements

We stopped at a breakfast joint this weekend and 3 rednecks walked in with handguns strapped to their waist band. CULTURE SHOCK! The way I am treated by the locals is borderline inflammatory. These people do not like us plain and simply, and if they say otherwise they are lying because it it part of the culture.

If I had time I would point out the backward ways of our NC brethren. I do not think the locals care to put in a decent days worth of work. Where did they learn how to drive? The food, down right greasy and horrible! I can’t believe the number of restaurants with sanitation ratings in the 80’s that have loyal local following…duh! I don't see many people fighting for social issues like anti-fracking, but when it comes to being able to open carry a handgun at a family fair the locals are crawling the walls. For crying out loud, the education system is mediocre, including health care, quality of living, etc. they simply do not measure up to northern standards…but if I say anything the local clan stands up and says "well if you don't like it move home." That is not the point! I like the warm weather, I just don't like watching a culture of ignorant locals run around thinking they are self justified because pastor Joe said being gay is the devils work. If you are in the business of customer service I expect the food to be cooked correctly. I don’t want an attitude if I tell you the steak isn’t cooked. They chose the profession to be a cook, waiter/waitress, etc. find a new job! See how the tables turn?

Seriously?!? Driving in the left lane going 55 when the speed limit is 70 is socially unacceptable. I could go on and on but I don’t have time.

I miss home, I prefer to be home, but I don't want to deal with snow...plain and simple...you will either like it here or hate it here. If you are single beware, the town is full of young 20's something kids or couples with newborns...I barely see people with teenagers because they probably flee Charlotte when its time for the kids to enter school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Thanks Navy, I needed a really good laugh. Makes you wonder how anybody survives here.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:14 PM

444 posts, read 582,071 times
Default ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Thanks Navy, I needed a really good laugh. Makes you wonder how anybody survives here.
my pleasure lol ;-)

Old 12-02-2014, 04:20 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
We stopped at a breakfast joint this weekend and 3 rednecks walked in with handguns strapped to their waist band. CULTURE SHOCK! The way I am treated by the locals is borderline inflammatory. These people do not like us plain and simply, and if they say otherwise they are lying because it it part of the culture.

If I had time I would point out the backward ways of our NC brethren. I do not think the locals care to put in a decent days worth of work. Where did they learn how to drive? The food, down right greasy and horrible! I can’t believe the number of restaurants with sanitation ratings in the 80’s that have loyal local following…duh! I don't see many people fighting for social issues like anti-fracking, but when it comes to being able to open carry a handgun at a family fair the locals are crawling the walls. For crying out loud, the education system is mediocre, including health care, quality of living, etc. they simply do not measure up to northern standards…but if I say anything the local clan stands up and says "well if you don't like it move home." That is not the point! I like the warm weather, I just don't like watching a culture of ignorant locals run around thinking they are self justified because pastor Joe said being gay is the devils work. If you are in the business of customer service I expect the food to be cooked correctly. I don’t want an attitude if I tell you the steak isn’t cooked. They chose the profession to be a cook, waiter/waitress, etc. find a new job! See how the tables turn?

Seriously?!? Driving in the left lane going 55 when the speed limit is 70 is socially unacceptable. I could go on and on but I don’t have time.

I miss home, I prefer to be home, but I don't want to deal with snow...plain and simple...you will either like it here or hate it here. If you are single beware, the town is full of young 20's something kids or couples with newborns...I barely see people with teenagers because they probably flee Charlotte when its time for the kids to enter school...
You forgot pig pickin', overalls, outhouses, and cousins-date'n-cousins. Please be reminded that every time you look in the mirror appears the product of an overpriced hifalutin northern edumacation system and the smug persona and lack of intelligence is palpable.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I'm really curious as to how me getting out more will explain why YOU live somewhere you don't like. Please clarify. I've been all over NA and a large portion of Europe. I get out plenty. How bout you Larry?

If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:13 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpirate View Post
Move here if you want to be here, not because you want to get away from somewhere else.
sorry but I had to quote this just in case someone missed it.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,762 times
I don't remember experiencing culture shock when I moved to Maryland from Los Angeles and then down here to Charlotte. Maybe I knew what to expect or knew to expect that there would be a difference from LA. Maybe the fact that I have spent 3 weeks, in the summer in Arkansas with my grandparents, a couple of times when I was growing up or having family in the south contributed to the fact that I didn't have culture shock. I wonder how sheltered you have to be to not know that the USA is not all the same and that their are differences between states and areas of the USA.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Moved here from NJ and found it to be the best move. People are friendly, enjoy the food and the search for new tastes, miss a couple of things not an issue.

I found that as long as you listen first, people will accept you and then you can express yourself and not be another damn yankee.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:42 AM

129 posts, read 201,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Moved here from NJ and found it to be the best move. People are friendly, enjoy the food and the search for new tastes, miss a couple of things not an issue.

I found that as long as you listen first, people will accept you and then you can express yourself and not be another damn yankee.
I am moving down from LI and that is exactly my attitude!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Honest to God, we Southerners really like most Yankee transplants and all the good things they have brought to our state. They are more than welcome here

It's the damn Yankee's we wish would just stay home. (big difference between the two!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte