U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,593 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Charlotte area over the summer with our two boys. We are torn between the Ballantyne CC and Piper Glen areas. Just need to make sure the area we choose is family oriented. There seems to be a lot of positive feedback about Ballantyne. We are really interested in a specific home in Piper Glen but did not see any children in the neighborhood. That is our only reservation about the area. Any input about children/ families in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM

116 posts, read 366,209 times
We are also relocating in the summer and have visited both communities as well and Stonecroft. We would prefer Ballantyne CC because of the public school district. My favorite community so far is the Longview CC. We also have two small children.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 AM

264 posts, read 829,100 times
It seems like I have posted this before, but here goes again. If you are looking for a family neighborhood, don't make the same mistake we did. We bought a house on a golf course, and having seen lots of playsets, etc. we assumed we were buying into a family neighborhood. Turns out the toys were for grandchildren that occasionally visited. I was so surprised to find so many empty nesters in very large homes on a golf course. We ended up being so unhappy and our small son so lonely, that we sold within 8 months and moved to another South Charlotte neighborhood.

I know families that live in Piper Glen and Ballantyne as my son attends a private school in that area. I find Ballantyne Country Club to be more family oriented. Obviously I do not live there but my son goes to many play dates with families that do. There are lots of activities at the club for kids and they have a great pool. Still it will depend largely on your immediate neighbor as to whether or not there is a "kid scene" on your end of the block, you know? When you get into a golf course community you will probably encounter a lot of childless couples, empty nesters and dads who work a ton. My son was friends with a child in Ballantyne for a full year before I ever met the dad Also, when you're in neighborhood with large homes and large lots like part of Providence Plantation, it's difficult to get to know anyone!

This has been my personal experience and not meant to be a commentary on what is right for your family.

Oh, one more neighborhood you might consider is Highgrove. It is in the Ballantyne area and I think you can get into the country club as a "resident." The lots are fairly small but not too small. Another gorgeous neighborhood is Heydon Hall, which is near Quail Hollow country club but not on the golf course. It is really unique.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
cjv

2 posts, read 9,748 times
Hi. we are relocating to the area and would like to know about the private schools. Thanks so much

Old 09-08-2009, 05:35 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,553,315 times
What exactly did you want to know? There are several options for private schools.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM

441 posts, read 1,069,829 times
Default Private Schools in Bally. and Providence Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv View Post
Hi. we are relocating to the area and would like to know about the private schools. Thanks so much
Hope this is not hijacking the thread...but the 'best' private schools are Charlotte Country Day, Charlotte Latin and Providece Day. There is an up and coming school, Trinity Epis. in uptown Charlotte. There is a also a large Catholic School System in Charlotte wtih many of the schools located in South Charlotte. There are too many other smaller, very good private schools around also...too many to name. But the 'big 3' are the aforementioned...then the Catholic School system for those wanting that route.

With Bally. and Piper Glen you should be in the range of solid public school and may not end up looking a private schools. But, if you want private schools, positioning yourself in the south side of the Charlotte would be wise.

There are also lots of wonderful publich magnet schools and charter schools to consider...many near the neighborhoods the original poster spoke of.

T

Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
MLU

3 posts, read 8,801 times
Great feedback, we are looking to move to the Ballantyne area next summer, Thank you.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,333,399 times
Of course you didn't see any kids. They're being shuttled to and from their various scheduled activities. Kids don't go out and just play any more. And they certainly don't walk or ride their bikes to get anywhere.

I feel old sometimes.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 182,138 times
I have friends who belong to both clubs and Piper is more Corporate Memberships than Ballantyne. If you had to chose from these 2 I would reccomend Ballantyne Country Club. If you don't need to golf I would reccomend any John Weiland neighborhood. They are full of familys with Grammer-Middle- and High School kids.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,927,904 times
Doesn't Stonecroft look a little bit like EPCOT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte