U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,131,608 times

Advertisements

It's all very relative, apparently. I would suggest the OP visit Charlotte and see for himself what it is like. You may also want to review national publications' assessment of the climate in Charlotte for gay people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM

108 posts, read 84,814 times
Charlotte was gay friendly long before many other major cities. In the early 60s, there were gay bars throughout Charlotte, ie., the Brass Rail, The Blue Note Lounge, Anchor Inn, and others. Charlotte and Jacksonville were big gay centers years ago when it was still taboo in many other major cities. If there isn't enough gayness in the city, it isn't the fault of the non-gays. Everyone is free to do as they please as long as it is legal.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 36,050 times
Some of my friends are gay and they live right here in Charlotte. In fact, they have been in this city for years and seem quite happy here. So I would assume that Clt is not a bad place to be in. Hope this helps.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 AM

301 posts, read 710,293 times
Not to bump an old friend... but I thought I could add.

My gay cousin moved to Charlotte from a small podunk town in South Carolina and loves it. He hasn't encountered any problems what-so-ever, so I'd call that pretty friendly. =)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,295,801 times
I think if your sexuality is the primary focus of your existence, and you project that all the time, you'll attract more attention to yourself. Some of that attention may not be a friendly as you'd like. OTOH, if you're just another person with varied interests and experiences, who happens to be gay, then it shouldn't ever be an issue.

As an example-years ago I was part of a dinner group. One person or couple would put together a themed gourmet meal each month for the other members. I was amazed at the lengths some of the people went to, and the food was often incredible. I learned a lot, and had a great time. The group was about half gay, but it wasn't even a consideration. We were just people who enjoyed good food and conversation.

Then a coworker of a group member joined. He was every unfortunate gay stereotype rolled into a single person. Previously our dinner conversations ranged from travel, cooking (obviously), cars, TV, books, pretty much the gamut of what any varied group of people would talk about. After he joined, the conversations invariably became all about being gay, gay sex (sex being an inappropriate topic for a group like ours in any event), gay travel, gay this, gay that, etc. Everything about his life was about being gay, in a flamboyant and overriding manner. We couldn't discuss anything without him jumping in and making it about being gay.

After a couple months about half the group had left, gays and straights alike. It ended shortly thereafter. It just wasn't fun anymore.

I've always wondered what the straight equivalent to a person like him is. Maybe because I'm straight I don't see any straight people as extreme as he was.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM

308 posts, read 529,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
So you would rather hear about people being murdered and raped and moms killing their kids and people being robbed then read about people who have for decades been oppressed and are finally able to celebrate who they are freely during an annual event???? SMH....Unfortunately 95% of your fellow Charlotteans (SP?) feel the same way......So if Charlotte had a St. Patrick's Day parade you wouldn't want to read that either would you? Or a LATINO FEST.....yeah people living and being who they are is PERSONAL......

Wow....isn't this 2010 not 1960?? I am not a homosexual but have many friends and family who are....and this backwards thinking is why people (gay and straight) don't like it HERE!!!!
My question for you is this: You said that "people don't like it here". Exactly what people would that be? I am from another country and I like it here. Obviously, there are about a million people from outside Charlotte that like it here. Also, 47K people moved to the area last year. Did they move to this area because they don't like it here? I'm confused. Charlotte has grown up. In a grown up city, you have people from all walks of all walks of life. Along with diversity comes people that support issues and those that don't support those issues. Living here, you would likely be more comfortable if you would understand and accept this. People have opinions and the more diverse a city becomes, the more differing opinions will be. Don't judge a city because someone disagrees with you. Be glad that America is free and that people can have different opinions. I have personally not seen "backwards" thinking with my many associations with locals. I have listened to those that have opinions that are different, but maybe that is because I am from another place? Who cares, this isn't Iran. Rejoice that we can disagree peacefully. Peace be with you.

Last edited by newcomerfromuk; 10-11-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM

308 posts, read 529,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I think if your sexuality is the primary focus of your existence, and you project that all the time, you'll attract more attention to yourself. Some of that attention may not be a friendly as you'd like. OTOH, if you're just another person with varied interests and experiences, who happens to be gay, then it shouldn't ever be an issue.

As an example-years ago I was part of a dinner group. One person or couple would put together a themed gourmet meal each month for the other members. I was amazed at the lengths some of the people went to, and the food was often incredible. I learned a lot, and had a great time. The group was about half gay, but it wasn't even a consideration. We were just people who enjoyed good food and conversation.

Then a coworker of a group member joined. He was every unfortunate gay stereotype rolled into a single person. Previously our dinner conversations ranged from travel, cooking (obviously), cars, TV, books, pretty much the gamut of what any varied group of people would talk about. After he joined, the conversations invariably became all about being gay, gay sex (sex being an inappropriate topic for a group like ours in any event), gay travel, gay this, gay that, etc. Everything about his life was about being gay, in a flamboyant and overriding manner. We couldn't discuss anything without him jumping in and making it about being gay.

After a couple months about half the group had left, gays and straights alike. It ended shortly thereafter. It just wasn't fun anymore.

I've always wondered what the straight equivalent to a person like him is. Maybe because I'm straight I don't see any straight people as extreme as he was.
Excellent point. It is nice when we can all sit around and talk about things other than who we sleep with. Sexual preference issues should probably be kept out conversations when a mixed group is socializing. There is a gay that hangs at one of my hangouts. We know that he is big in the gay community, but he is one of us as a group, not because he is gay but because he is a nice guy that we like and respect. He doesn't discuss gay issues. They don't concern most of us, yet we really like the guy and support him.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 PM

634 posts, read 1,207,284 times
^^^^ Excellent post and I agree with you...but in the same breath the more diverse a city becomes the more TOLERANT it should be of people that are different....... I don't think anyone in Charlotte would disagree with me saying how CONSERVATIVE Charlotte is!!! That is my main problem/issue/concern with it here. And Charlotte (even though I hate to admit it) is a very desirable place to live. As I experience more of CLT I am appreciating more of what it has to offer, but when I see a gay couple walking Uptown holding hands and a mom goes out of her way to make sure she and her kids cross the street....makes me ponder just how progressive Charlotte is. In my 26 years I have never seen that in New York or Atlanta. Or even my 3 year stint in Durham, NC

Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 PM

634 posts, read 1,207,284 times
Also just b/c 47K people moved here last year doesn't mean that they all like it here.....im sure that out of the 100k people that moved to Atlanta....not all of them like it either....

Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,103,097 times
My almost 50 yr old daughter lives in Charlotte and loves it. She and her partner don't go in for much outside the home social activities but that is just because they are homebodies. They are both engaging, funloving people who happen to be gay and don't spend much time thinking or talking about it. My daughter has marched in gay pride parades in Washington DC when she was younger. She is mainly herself.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or