Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM

308 posts, read 615,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
^^^^ Excellent post and I agree with you...but in the same breath the more diverse a city becomes the more TOLERANT it should be of people that are different....... I don't think anyone in Charlotte would disagree with me saying how CONSERVATIVE Charlotte is!!! That is my main problem/issue/concern with it here. And Charlotte (even though I hate to admit it) is a very desirable place to live. As I experience more of CLT I am appreciating more of what it has to offer, but when I see a gay couple walking Uptown holding hands and a mom goes out of her way to make sure she and her kids cross the street....makes me ponder just how progressive Charlotte is. In my 26 years I have never seen that in New York or Atlanta. Or even my 3 year stint in Durham, NC
Sorry to inform you, but when you are 26, you see what you want to see. Being conservative doesn't mean anti-gay. It means reserved and frugal. Add whatever adjectives to it that you wish. It isn't important that you haven't seen two guys holding hands. What is important is that two guys can safely hold hands if they wish to. If you learned anything about NYC, you would know that there are more hate crimes against gays there than most other large cities including Charlotte. I am very familiar with NY and could take you to place in Brooklyn and Queens where you would hide being gay in public. I work with locals and I have a lot of respect for them. People are down to earth and work hard. That is my main interest. I hope you have paid attention to the other postings as they are pretty reasonable and form a concensus that Charlotte s a pretty good place to live gay or not. By the way, I am pretty sure that many of the 46K that moved here last year will not like it, so what's new. Americans have a justified reputation of being critical of anythng for which they are not familiar. Believe me, I had daily contact with them during my life in London. Most Americans that stay there for longer than a holliday begin complaining and comparing after a couple of months. Remember, you are one little person. The world doesn't have to change for you. That applies to every one of us. We are the outsider, not the city.

As far as diversity, I can take it or leave it. I want to live in an area where I can walk freely without fear of crime an enjoy amenties at my fingertips. If I can do that in a diverse neighbourhood, great. If not, I will live wherever I feel safe. I love Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. They are not diverse, but they are great places for which I would not mind living. Again, when one is 26, one has a different prospective on life.

Last edited by newcomerfromuk; 10-12-2010 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,397 times
I think from the responses here we can conclude that Charlotte is not one of the most gay friendly (or socially progressive) places to live. Even the responses that are trying to be reassuring are unknowingly homophobic. Yes, I live here, and yes I am considering staying because I want to see change, and I'm willing to put the work in.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,142,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asuteeerahill View Post
I think from the responses here we can conclude that Charlotte is not one of the most gay friendly (or socially progressive) places to live. Even the responses that are trying to be reassuring are unknowingly homophobic. Yes, I live here, and yes I am considering staying because I want to see change, and I'm willing to put the work in.
How did you reach your conclusions? I reread the thread, and most of the posts suggest that Charlotte is gay friendly, if they don't actually come out and say those exact words.

How did you determine some posts to be "unknowingly homophobic"? If you're referring to something I said, don't be afraid to hurt my feelings. I want to know.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,530,465 times
Yes, Charlotte is friendly to happy people. It is a gay old time in Charlotte.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes, Charlotte is friendly to happy people. It is a gay old time in Charlotte.
Some may compare Charlotte to Bedrock. Not me, but some.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,844,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Some may compare Charlotte to Bedrock. Not me, but some.
My sister in law could pass as Fred Flintstone.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
My sister in law could pass as Fred Flintstone.

I'm still chuckling at that.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,355,365 times
Charlotte is gay Friendly.

Gastonia - also - is Gay Friendly. I work as a Cashier for Family Dollar in a ghetto part of Gastonia and most of my customers are black, redneck, or hispanic. I am openly gay and I've only heard wonderful things. Several ladies hit on me and ask me if I had a girlfriend and I tell them I am gay that I have a boyfriend and they think it's "cool." A lot of people like the fact that I am. My boss and all my coworkers know. all the customers know now. No one has a problem with it. A lot of customers are repeat customers and a lot of the ladies ask me what to get their boyfriends, etc. etc.

No complaints here. I've Seen several transvestites in the store and the customers also don't mind the trannys because they are super nice. They hold open doors, help you out on change if you don't have it, etc.

The Charlotte/Gastonia area - IMO - is very gay friendly.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 02-14-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 8,026 times
"I'm gay tolerant but I broke someone's nose."

Holy hannah, if gays did that to Christians when they try to bring them to their Church, would they call themselves "tolerant" or maybe insanely violent ??

Did someone really say they broke someone's nose who did basically nothing physical toward them, yet consider themselves tolerant ?

OK, I'll need to get over this now. Better keep your lawn and house up, or you might be flat out murdered by some folks !

Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM

291 posts, read 366,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGuy123123 View Post
"I'm gay tolerant but I broke someone's nose."

Holy hannah, if gays did that to Christians when they try to bring them to their Church, would they call themselves "tolerant" or maybe insanely violent ??

Did someone really say they broke someone's nose who did basically nothing physical toward them, yet consider themselves tolerant ?

OK, I'll need to get over this now. Better keep your lawn and house up, or you might be flat out murdered by some folks !
Oh my!!!

Charlotte proper will give you no problems. In the outer reaches of Meck County and surrounding counties it probably doesn't go over as well. Inside 485 you'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte