Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 12,856 times

Advertisements

thank you all,

Yes, if all goes well, I will be relocating for a Job with Wachovia. I appreciate all of your responses! I am not really looking for a bar scene, just don't want to feel isolated at my job and / or my neighborhood. My current life is not overly "gay", most of my friends are straight with kids and I look forward to making new relationships where ever I wind up.

thank you all again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 AM

286 posts, read 943,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUMan View Post
I just can't wait until you get here. Oh joy!
Like i stated earlier, you will have ignorent people,no matter where you go, or live.All we can do is try to educate,and hopefully they will tolerate

Old 01-05-2008, 07:46 AM

533 posts, read 1,829,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bjosie View Post
thank you all,

Yes, if all goes well, I will be relocating for a Job with Wachovia. I appreciate all of your responses! I am not really looking for a bar scene, just don't want to feel isolated at my job and / or my neighborhood. My current life is not overly "gay", most of my friends are straight with kids and I look forward to making new relationships where ever I wind up.

thank you all again
i don't think you will feel isolated at your job. i had a lot of wachovia workers in my multicultural counseling class, and i remember them talking a lot about how "gay friendly" wachovia's practices are. a quick google search will tell you the same. best of luck with your move!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:30 PM

21 posts, read 63,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bjosie View Post
thank you all,

thank you all again
I work for the other bank. We have an active gay professionals group, and I have met several openly gay co-workers during my short time here. We also have great domestic partner benefits. I can't say if Wachovia's the same way, but my experience is that they mirror each other pretty closely, and any benefits/groups/etc. that BofA has, Wachovia probably has them too.

I have heard the bar scene's not that great here, but sounds like that's not your priority.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 33,668 times
I am going to be working in the Newton area. Any place around there that is more gay friendly?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,853,249 times
There are plenty of gay folks here in Charlotte & from what my friends have told me the "gay scene" is lively & vibrant. Does anyone know if Gay Bingo is going to be starting up again?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,278,158 times
I consider myself a Christian, and although I do not personally agree with your lifestyle, I am very tolerant to others. We have had three gay couples in our small neighborhood and we all got along fine (SE Charlotte, well inside 485). They had no issues to be concerned with regarding neighbor judgement. I am more concerned that the neighbors maintain their house and lawn versus what color their skin pigment is, and what their sexual preference is.

The only time I have had a problem with homosexuals is when they hit on me. I punched one once on a business trip and am pretty sure I broke his nose in a hotel restaurant. I am a moderately fit married man, with a great since of humor. I am also a neat freak and good dresser. I have been hit on a few times and that sickens me. I have a wedding ring on and am happily married to a beautiful woman who is the mother to my two daughters. My point is that only flamboyantly & promiscuous gay people annoy me, otherwise I think we can all get along. I will never judge people for being themselves...as long they keep their house and lawn in good condition
But if you hit on me I might punch you in the face.
You asked an honest question, and I gave you an honest answer...

Last edited by mullman; 04-12-2008 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-12-2008, 10:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,226,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-here-I-come View Post
I am going to be working in the Newton area. Any place around there that is more gay friendly?
Okay. I grew up near Newton. Very very small town. I moved here from Kansas City (well, JoCo) and I see you are from KS. Help me out here. Can you reveal area you are living in now so I can give you a comparison to your present area???? I mean - if you tell me you are in Lawrence as opposed to Topeka or Wichita, that helps me understand how much culture shock you are in for.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,278,158 times
Plant your flowers, mow your lawn, keep your home in good condition, and we would have no problems if you were a neighbor of mine.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-12-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: the referring post has been removed.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM

157 posts, read 788,915 times
Plaza and NoDa both have large gay populations. Both tend to be more ecclectic then the rest of the city, and diversity in general tend to be greater in these areas (particularly NoDa). When I refer to diversity, I am not just talking about ethnic diversity, but diversity of thought, etc...I live in NoDa, and I know at least 6 gay couples who live around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte