U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,438,036 times

Advertisements

Well, on Sunny's advice, I thought I'd start a counter thread to the mammoth crime thread, "What is the real crime story of Charlotte?" We all know that there are an abundant amount of areas that are very SAFE in Charlotte and the metro region. Just so I don't have to work so hard, I will start with only my current residing area (although I've lived in multiple safe areas of the region) and let others chime in on their secure living quarters. Obviously, when a violent crime occurs in a ritzy part of town, the media will be ALL OVER IT because it is indeed OUT OF THE NORM!

Anyways....

I live in Cornelius, NC which is accessible from exit 25 and exit 28 on I-77 as well as Highway 73, 21, and 115. Cornelius is a very quaint town and is highlight town of the Lake Norman area (LKN). Other "LKN" towns include Huntersville, Davidson, and Mooresville. There are other Lake Norman towns on the north and west end of the lake, but these mentioned ones are the most active and popular.

Cornelius has seen vast growth over the last several years due to the quality of life it offers, which includes very safe neighborhoods, friendly neighbors, convenient shopping, dining, and entertainment, and of course all of the fun activities of Lake Norman. Housing is very affordable (starting in the mid 100s for condos, townhomes, and single family) but ranges well into the millions of dollars. There is one VERY small pocket of a questionable area by the Cashion's gas station at Catawba and Hwy 21, but even this area is essentially safe. The occurrence of crime here is petty larceny, and even in late November we had 2 break ins in my neighborhood, Heritage Green. The cops responded rapidly and the homes that were attempted did not have locked garages. The crooks were scared off by the resident dogs. These incidents in no way have caused me to live in fear as these types of crimes are the types that can happen anywhere at anytime.

I absolutely love living in Cornelius and will certainly miss it if we have to move out of state for a job transfer. Police response times have been very prompt, however, I do not depend on these public servants for my safety. I have taken appropriate measures to defend my home and family and will exercise this right if ever necessary. Having said that, I don't constantly worry about home defense because the area in which I live does not cause me to do this.

Cornelius is very family friendly and has a wide range of income level housing options. Even the poorer section does not pose significant security threats. If any one is looking for one of the MANY safe areas to live in Charlotte metro, I highly suggest Cornelius for the above mentioned reasons and your commute time is only 25-45 minutes to downtown Charlotte depending on the time of day and traffic incidents. I have made it home from Cotswold in 5'oclock traffic in 25 minutes, so that can even be done.

I hope others will jump in here in attempts to divulge important information to newcomers who may have been scared into not moving to Charlotte due to hysteria in other parts of town. While the cause of alarm is certainly justified, it does not represent crime patterns in all of Charlotte. Even the occurrence in Providence Country Club was random act that could have happened in ANY part of the country. No matter where you live, even if it is Utopia, you should always be alert of your surroundings.

So, welcome to Charlotte for those considering it...it's a very lovely place to live!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,662,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Well, on Sunny's advice, I thought I'd start a counter thread to the mammoth crime thread, "What is the real crime story of Charlotte?" We all know that there are an abundant amount of areas that are very SAFE in Charlotte and the metro region. Just so I don't have to work so hard, I will start with only my current residing area (although I've lived in multiple safe areas of the region) and let others chime in on their secure living quarters. Obviously, when a violent crime occurs in a ritzy part of town, the media will be ALL OVER IT because it is indeed OUT OF THE NORM!

Anyways....

I live in Cornelius, NC which is accessible from exit 25 and exit 28 on I-77 as well as Highway 73, 21, and 115. Cornelius is a very quaint town and is highlight town of the Lake Norman area (LKN). Other "LKN" towns include Huntersville, Davidson, and Mooresville. There are other Lake Norman towns on the north and west end of the lakes, but these mentioned ones are the most active and popular.

Cornelius is seen vast growth over the last several years due to the quality of life it offers, which includes very safe neighborhoods, friendly neighbors, convenient shopping, dining, and entertainment, and of course all of the activities of Lake Norman. Housing is very affordable (starting in the mid 100s for condos, townhomes, and single family) but ranges well into the millions of dollars. There is one VERY small pocket of a questionable area by the Cashion's gas station at Catawba and Hwy 21, but even this area is essentially safe. The occurrence of crime here is petty larceny, and even in late November we had 2 break ins in my neighborhood, Heritage Green. The cops responded rapidly and the homes that were attempted did not have locked garages. The crooks were scared off by the resident dogs. These incidents in no way have caused me to live in fear as these types of crimes are the types that can happen anywhere at anytime.

I absolutely love living in Cornelius and will certainly miss it if we have to move out of state for a job transfer. Police response times have been very prompt, however, I do not depend on these public servants for my safety. I have taken appropriate measures to defend my home and family and will exercise this right if ever necessary. Having said that, I don't constantly worry about home defense because the area in which I live does not cause me to do this.

Cornelius is very family friendly and has a wide range of income level housing options. Even the poorer section does not pose significant security threats. If any one is looking for one of the MANY safe areas to live in Charlotte metro, I highly suggest Cornelius for the above mentioned reasons and your commute time is only 25-45 minutes to downtown Charlotte depending on the time of day and traffic incidents. I have made it home from Cotswold in 5'oclock traffic in 25 minutes, so that can even be done.

I hope others will jump in here in attempts to divulge important information to newcomers who may have been scared into not moving to Charlotte due to hysteria in other parts of town. While the cause of alarm is certainly justified, it does not represent crime patterns in all of Charlotte. Even the occurrence in Providence Country Club was random act that could have happened in ANY part of the country. No matter where you live, even if it is Utopia, you should always be alert of your surroundings.

So, welcome to Charlotte for those considering it...it's a very lovely place to live!!!
Cornelius is great! If I had to say anything bad about the Lake Norman area is traffic & congestion, and that is not saying anything to bad. All 3 cities are great to me (Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson).

The bad area of Cornelius, I think I drove though it one time. Is it called Smith Circle between Cashions & downtown Cornelius on the right side?

Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,308,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Cornelius is great! If I had to say anything bad about the Lake Norman area is traffic & congestion, and that is not saying anything to bad. All 3 cities are great to me (Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson).
I agree, but Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson are not in Charlotte. They are separate cities. I don't think anyone is claiming that crime is bad in the Lake Norman area. However, the Lake Norman area is not convenient many areas of Charlotte. Living in the Lake Norman area isn't an option for many people due to housing costs or commute time.

Huntersville's police are very visible. I see several police cruisers every day during my short commute home. This probably helps.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I agree, but Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson are not in Charlotte. They are separate cities. I don't think anyone is claiming that crime is bad in the Lake Norman area. However, the Lake Norman area is not convenient many areas of Charlotte. Living in the Lake Norman area isn't an option for many people due to housing costs or commute time.

Huntersville's police are very visible. I see several police cruisers every day during my short commute home. This probably helps.
My post was in regards to Charlotte metro, which does include the aforementioned towns in addition to many others in Cabarrus, Gaston, and Union counties. You are correct that it isn't an option for some people, but the day to day traffic patterns indicate that it is an option for many, including myself and the 1000s of others that join bumpers on weekday mornings and evenings.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 PM

35,458 posts, read 43,142,431 times
I grew up nearby, so knew the areas of CLT I felt safest in. However, I had been away for over a decade and I had no idea just how much the city had "sprawled" in that time! I was amazed to find Ballantyne - I had no idea!

I didn't even consider Union Co simply b/c I had no knowledge of the area - to me - Union Co. was agricultural, LOL. What a change . . .

I knew I wanted to be in S. CLT. My concern was not only safety, but proximity to conveniences. I have this rule- need to be no more than 3 miles from everything I need, and preferably, less than 1.5 from most things.

I also knew that S. CLT was considered to be a safe area. I had no information about what areas were considered high crime. I just knew where I would feel safe based on what I knew about CLT from the past.

Had I known what else was available in surrounding areas, I might have been more inclined to check them out. However, we found exactly what we were looking for - and most conveniences are about 1.5 miles from my house . . . and everything I need is w/in 3 miles.

The only complaint I have is - traffic and pedestrian friendly walkways and traffic control. I had been living in an area w/ higher density population, but the streets all had pedestrian-friendly light controls that you push . . . and greenways throughout neighborhoods, as well as sidewalks everywhere. I could walk to any place I needed to go - wh/ was great exercise. There is not way I can walk here. No sidewalks . . . and no signal control "buttons," LOL. One can get out and walk in our neighborhood, but even there - no sidewalks.

Safety is something I always think about, no matter where I am. Even tho I am in a safe area, I keep cars locked at all times, never leave garage door open, lock my house during the day while at home, use my alarm system religiously, keep a baseball bat by the door (don't blame me - my son's idea!!!). I am the neighborhood "watch dog" as I can see out the window from my desk and I definitely notice what cars and service trucks are coming and going. We are in a cul-de-sac, so no reason for through traffic.

I have great perimeter lighting, including low voltage lighting that stays on all nite. I know my neighbors, their cars, and their patterns.

I know crime can happen anytime, anywhere, to anybody. Therefore, I am selective as to where I go and when I go there. I do not talk on the cell phone while driving, have maps w/ me when going to an unfamiliar place, and i make sure the phone # is also on the map somewhere. I see people walking around absently in parking lots, talking on their cells, and I think - wow - you are a target for a crime of opportunity.

No matter where a person lives . . . it is important to be aware of one's surroundings. A cop told me last year to never carry an expensive designer purse while shopping - that criminals were following women home who had expensive purses - Then forcing their way into the home and robbing them.

My point is - just b/c one is in a "safe" neighborhood - especially an upscale one - don't assume you are immune from crime! People may follow you home b/c they anticipate a nice haul at your house! So be careful what you wear . . . best not to call attention to yourself . . . Use common sense and pay attention!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

395 posts, read 996,612 times
Alright- I'll join in. I live in Steele Creek, which has gotten some negative press in the other thread, but I'm no pollyanna- there are rough spots. However, the Steele Creek area is overall a safe place. I know a couple of you have your own experiences that are a contradiction to what I'm saying, but I have to confess that I have not witnessed any kind of crime in my own neighborhood. I live on a dead-end street off a dead-end street in a neighborhood of modest 10-15 year old homes priced around 200s or so. Perhaps I'm in a good pocket, but I "feel" safe where I live. Of course I realize perception is not always reality, but I do know my neighbors and they know me. We have a neighborhood watch, and word spreads quickly up and down the street if someone notices a strange car or an unknown person walking around. So there. My little piece of Steele Creek is safe.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I grew up nearby, so knew the areas of CLT I felt safest in. However, I had been away for over a decade and I had no idea just how much the city had "sprawled" in that time! I was amazed to find Ballantyne - I had no idea!

I didn't even consider Union Co simply b/c I had no knowledge of the area - to me - Union Co. was agricultural, LOL. What a change . . .

I knew I wanted to be in S. CLT. My concern was not only safety, but proximity to conveniences. I have this rule- need to be no more than 3 miles from everything I need, and preferably, less than 1.5 from most things.

I also knew that S. CLT was considered to be a safe area. I had no information about what areas were considered high crime. I just knew where I would feel safe based on what I knew about CLT from the past.

Had I known what else was available in surrounding areas, I might have been more inclined to check them out. However, we found exactly what we were looking for - and most conveniences are about 1.5 miles from my house . . . and everything I need is w/in 3 miles.

The only complaint I have is - traffic and pedestrian friendly walkways and traffic control. I had been living in an area w/ higher density population, but the streets all had pedestrian-friendly light controls that you push . . . and greenways throughout neighborhoods, as well as sidewalks everywhere. I could walk to any place I needed to go - wh/ was great exercise. There is not way I can walk here. No sidewalks . . . and no signal control "buttons," LOL. One can get out and walk in our neighborhood, but even there - no sidewalks.

Safety is something I always think about, no matter where I am. Even tho I am in a safe area, I keep cars locked at all times, never leave garage door open, lock my house during the day while at home, use my alarm system religiously, keep a baseball bat by the door (don't blame me - my son's idea!!!). I am the neighborhood "watch dog" as I can see out the window from my desk and I definitely notice what cars and service trucks are coming and going. We are in a cul-de-sac, so no reason for through traffic.

I have great perimeter lighting, including low voltage lighting that stays on all nite. I know my neighbors, their cars, and their patterns.

I know crime can happen anytime, anywhere, to anybody. Therefore, I am selective as to where I go and when I go there. I do not talk on the cell phone while driving, have maps w/ me when going to an unfamiliar place, and i make sure the phone # is also on the map somewhere. I see people walking around absently in parking lots, talking on their cells, and I think - wow - you are a target for a crime of opportunity.

No matter where a person lives . . . it is important to be aware of one's surroundings. A cop told me last year to never carry an expensive designer purse while shopping - that criminals were following women home who had expensive purses - Then forcing their way into the home and robbing them.

My point is - just b/c one is in a "safe" neighborhood - especially an upscale one - don't assume you are immune from crime! People may follow you home b/c they anticipate a nice haul at your house! So be careful what you wear . . . best not to call attention to yourself . . . Use common sense and pay attention!!!!
Thank you for the post ani. I would be confident in saying that south and southeast Charlotte have 85-90% of their areas as very safe locations. The 10-15% areas would likely include South Blvd and some of Pineville (yes, I'm throwing Pineville in their as South Charlotte). I'm having a hard time thinking of any other places I would not live in the other 85-90%. Of course, heading out to Union Co., it only gets safer until you start getting into Monroe (which there are some very nice areas of Monroe, but the crime doesn't start really until you get to Monroe city limits).

Old 01-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Alright- I'll join in. I live in Steele Creek, which has gotten some negative press in the other thread, but I'm no pollyanna- there are rough spots. However, the Steele Creek area is overall a safe place. I know a couple of you have your own experiences that are a contradiction to what I'm saying, but I have to confess that I have not witnessed any kind of crime in my own neighborhood. I live on a dead-end street off a dead-end street in a neighborhood of modest 10-15 year old homes priced around 200s or so. Perhaps I'm in a good pocket, but I "feel" safe where I live. Of course I realize perception is not always reality, but I do know my neighbors and they know me. We have a neighborhood watch, and word spreads quickly up and down the street if someone notices a strange car or an unknown person walking around. So there. My little piece of Steele Creek is safe.
I have to backtrack from when I said I would not live in Steele Creek. While I would avoid living in most of that area, the chances of me living there get greater the closer you get to Lake Wylie down Hwy. 49, where you can find some very nice neighborhoods and the population densities are much less.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM

672 posts, read 1,211,559 times
The cops responded rapidly and the homes that were attempted did not have locked garages.

I appreciate how this thread seems more positive then the last. This above statement said it all, the cops responded rapidly. That is a luxury that we don't have as the police don't have the chance to be proactive in Steele Creek. Also I would like to say, Lake Norman is beautiful, but is too far for us. In any event, I would like to live outside of Charlotte in a smaller town as you do. I think then it is easier to drive for 10 miles without hitting a questionable area.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,644,760 times
A good, clear-headed and candid post, Ani. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte