U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM

95 posts, read 221,623 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm visiting in December and wanted to know if there are any Cuban bakeries or restaurants to try? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 03:47 PM

372 posts, read 592,065 times
Only Cuban restaurant I know of is "A Piece of Havana" in the Steele Creek area. I'm guessing you are familiar with Cuban food, if so, you will be sorely disappointed with that place. We have given them 4-5 tries over the past 3 years and it has been a let down. Fortunately, I have learned how to cook Cuban food, so that takes care of that. As far as bakeries are concerned, there is a place called "Suarez Bakery" in town. He does a couple of different pastelitos (including guayaba), but does not offer a large variety.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM

7,672 posts, read 10,986,733 times
The kinds like in Miami? None.

Seriously. There are places but I've yet to find one like back in Miami. While I long for my cafe con leche, pan Cubano and pastelittos, I'm fine here. There are tons of other stuff to eat/visit. When I go back to Miami, it's something to look forward to.

Only one I've not tried yet though was Suarez Bakery. My cuban friends don't like it though but I've not personally tried it.

I cook Cuban and between compare and super g (multi ethnic grocery stores), I'm able to get some Spanish ingredients. But mostly I have to order online or have my mom mail it to me. Stuff like chorizo or certain spices etc.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM

3,356 posts, read 9,225,859 times
Yeah nothing like Miami Only other recommendation I can give is this place.

Havana Carolina Cafe - Home

Just to add it relocated and as a better menu, will need to head north for dinner one of these days and report back.

Last edited by flyingscotsman; 12-01-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-01-2014, 04:42 PM

375 posts, read 618,207 times
Someone needs to open a cuban bakery/restaurant.

My favorite (outside of S FL) is Kuba Kuba up in Richmond VA.

But nothing here.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:41 AM

144 posts, read 240,859 times
A bit out of your way, but there's also Mambo Grill & Tapas in Salisbury.
But I can't comment on the authenticity. For Charlotte residents, however, the closest to Miami you can get might be in Winston Salem. Miamis Cafe, which at one time also sold Cuban bread, is currently closed but renovating a new building and will be reopening soon.

https://facebook.com/MiamisCafe

Old 12-02-2014, 08:20 AM

1,511 posts, read 3,019,716 times
Agree. Nothing authentic Cuban here. I miss my authentic Cuban bread, freshly made (Publix has some, but it is frozen ).

I would love to see a good, solid Cuban sit down restaurant and also a Latin cafeteria style restaurant for the basics!!

Old 12-02-2014, 08:43 AM

95 posts, read 221,623 times
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I'm Cuban and wanted to know what to expect as I plan on moving to Charlotte next year. This really helps! Maybe one day I'll open a Cuban bakery haha!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:27 PM

372 posts, read 621,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Agree. Nothing authentic Cuban here. I miss my authentic Cuban bread, freshly made (Publix has some, but it is frozen ).
I've never seen a Publix Bakery thaw any bread dough and bake it. Every loaf of bread they make (Including their Cuban Bread) is made from scratch. It's one of the things they're famous for.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:02 AM

7,672 posts, read 10,986,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
I've never seen a Publix Bakery thaw any bread dough and bake it. Every loaf of bread they make (Including their Cuban Bread) is made from scratch. It's one of the things they're famous for.
Actually they don't make it from scratch, they use mixes from their distribution centers. But they do mix the dough from the mixes, proof/rise/bake at the stores. A step up from other stores that just bakes frozen doughs.

And Publix has two versions of Cuban breads. A water cuban bread type that's sold here in NC. Then there's a traditional cuban that uses lard and starter (real cuban bread) which they don't make up here . At least not in Indian Land or the one on Johnston. Huge difference between the two versions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte