Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
I was pointing out the consequences of urban sprawl...if we continue to grow at this pace we will continue to push out further from the center of the city into the back end of towns like gastonia, shelby, lincolnton, and maybe even all the way up to statesville. yes yes, people commute there now, what I mean is they will become the next mooresville. Why not? People are commuting from Buford, GA into Atlanta everyday...and those towns are gridlock! In 1992, those towns were small little nothings.

I am horrified to buy in Charlotte area...I have been renting thank god in Denver for 9 months...just learned Trilogy is building a huge 55 plus community up the road...those people will want to take 73 into huntersville...the road already has enough traffic on it...
You just don't get it. Gastonia was the textile capital. The textile industry is mostly gone & the city is working on urban renewal & getting new businesses in. The only reason that the population is greater in Concord is that Gastonia was focused on urban renewal while Concord was annexing. Gastonia is over twice the size of Mooresville. How do you propose that Gastonia is going to try to be the next Mooresville? Do you understand that 321 runs from 85 in Gastonia to Lincolnton? Do you understand that 74 runs from Charlotte to Gastonia through Kings Mountain to Shelby & beyond? This is why I'm saying to you look at a map. Have you ever driven 74 from Charlotte to Gastonia? I sincerely doubt that you have or you never would have put Gastonia in your little list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:28 AM

370 posts, read 544,033 times
42 story Mint Apartments proposed yesterday. This will be on the back of the Mint Museum uptown. And for those wondering, it will be a Childress Kline project, who just finished construction of Element Uptown. Things must be going well if they are turning right around and starting another...(attached as a thumbnail)

Add that to the 33 story The Bearden, the Greystar project, also going up near the park (This is not it, but looks very similar);

And don't forget Skyhouse 2!

300 S Tryon has already broken ground!

Boom town is BACK.
Attached Thumbnails
Boomtown: Charlotte among fastest-growing big cities in U.S.-2014-12-03-mint-view-northnight1jpg  

Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 PM

272 posts, read 380,569 times
I can see Charlotte reaching 1 million residents in the city limits soon. Give it 5-10 years.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:42 PM

272 posts, read 380,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
It is it's own city, but it is absolutely a suburb of Charlotte. Those two labels do not have to be independent from one another.

On another note, I don't like seeing us drag Atlanta through the mud on here. Atlanta is much larger than Charlotte, so as a result, it gets identified as having more sprawl than us. But the fact is, we both have it, Atlanta just does on a larger scale (by nature of being a way larger metro). THE GOOD NEWS IS, both Charlotte and Atlanta (along with virtually every other sunbelt city) appear to be righting their ships towards smarter, denser, urban growth.

ATL and CLT are both heavily investing in mass transit infrastructure as well as green-ways, sidewalks, bike lanes, smarter zoning, ect. If you haven't been to Atlanta in a while, I'd recommend checking out some of it's awesome initiatives that I am SUPER envious of (The Beltline Project is one of the most aggressive/progressive urban plans in the US right now Atlanta BeltLine // Where Atlanta Comes Together.).

Charlotte gets the benefit of hitting it's boom during an era of urban renaissance. It doesn't mean Atlanta isn't doing the same, it just had it's biggest boom back in the 70's - 90's, when shopping malls and big highways dominated our idea of a city.

Charlotte should be lucky to boom like Atlanta did, while getting the opportunity to do it in an era when planning is more focused on sustainability. We aren't "learning from the mistakes of Atlanta", it did a lot of things RIGHT! We are learning from the mistakes of "urban renewal" that has occurred over the last half of a century. Charlotte & Atlanta can continue to grow at a clip AND grow smart! I'm excited to watch it unfold for all of us.
I agree. I grew up in Raleigh, but I visited Gastonia, and it was definitely a suburb of Charlotte....at least it felt like it.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
I can see Charlotte reaching 1 million residents in the city limits soon. Give it 5-10 years.
It won't be quite that soon, but it's a possibility in perhaps 15-20 years.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
Every once in awhile I think about the changes I've seen in Charlotte since I moved there in 2002. The 2008-2011 period was unusual for the city's character - it's been quickly growing, redeveloping, since the 1890s.

With these towers announcements and the construction in 1st ward on Levine's land, things are beginning to feel "2005ish" again.

Sometimes it's kind of overwhelming. I moved to Gaston county to experience a more small-business, incremental pace of change. In Charlotte it can seem at times that people are like ants on cardboard boxes ... the "giants" (corporations, government entities, major developers) shuffle things around, and the people disperse and react.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:21 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Every once in awhile I think about the changes I've seen in Charlotte since I moved there in 2002. The 2008-2011 period was unusual for the city's character - it's been quickly growing, redeveloping, since the 1890s.

With these towers announcements and the construction in 1st ward on Levine's land, things are beginning to feel "2005ish" again.

Sometimes it's kind of overwhelming. I moved to Gaston county to experience a more small-business, incremental pace of change. In Charlotte it can seem at times that people are like ants on cardboard boxes ... the "giants" (corporations, government entities, major developers) shuffle things around, and the people disperse and react.

Is Charlotte not supposed to grow at all or not have major projects built. I see what your saying but me I've never felt like that. I think this next boom phase were currently in will last a good minute and really shape Charlotte locally and more internationaly . Now if we didn't have the recession and all the proposed projects got built plus all the ones now, Charlotte would've been a completely different place. I think now Charlotte is finally starting to get that hustle and bustle pace of life.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:52 PM

105 posts, read 117,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Is Charlotte not supposed to grow at all or not have major projects built. I see what your saying but me I've never felt like that. I think this next boom phase were currently in will last a good minute and really shape Charlotte locally and more internationaly . Now if we didn't have the recession and all the proposed projects got built plus all the ones now, Charlotte would've been a completely different place. I think now Charlotte is finally starting to get that hustle and bustle pace of life.
I agree. I would of loved to see how the city would of turned out if it kept growing during the rescission. it would probably look more compact and dense in uptown. and the "urbanism" probably be starting to spread outside the loop right about now or in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte