Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:33 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,960,908 times

Advertisements

I was completely disappointed in The Fresh Market on Friday. I went in to buy a salad and looked around. They had colored tortilla chips and I was curious about the ingredients. The ingredients listed some different dyes and the label actually referenced the FDA saying these were allowable amounts. I go these types of stores to find fresh and natural foods, with no dyes, msg, nitrates or chemicals. I believe some of their chocolate holiday treats have junk in them as well. I will be sticking to Whole Foods, Healthy Home Market and Earthfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 02:28 PM

625 posts, read 480,265 times
Being originally from the NYC area my comparison of Food Lion vs. Harris Teeter.

Food Lion can be more low end-- I've gone into a few that remind me of a bigger Key Food or A & P. The produce can be iffy. I've bought "fresh" vegetables or fruit from there that lasted only a couple of days. Some have good bakeries. It really depends the neighborhood.

Harris Teeter is more consistent and very similar to a Super Stop and Shop. You've seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. I prefer them over Publix. They have a wider selection of organic products and a pretty decent bakery. Publix has a good bakery but lacks in organic products and their prices seem higher for organics and higher end products than HT. HT reminds me of Wegmans.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:02 PM

129 posts, read 199,316 times
Thanks. From what I am reading, and the Harris Teeter I visited last weekend - it looks like that will most likely be my market of choice until Publix opens - then I will check that out as well.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:07 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,284,338 times
Fresh Market's meat and seafood sections look amazing, before visiting the store I would buy mine from Publix. I stopped buying those from HT after my first Publix visit.

I still love Harris Teeter's cheese section and I keep a close eye on the sales they have on gourmet cheese. HT and Trader Joe's are my top choices for always having specialty cheese, usually cheaper than other stores.

I do the bulk of my shopping at Walmart. I travel to the Huntersville Wallyworld or the Neighborhood Market Walmart on Independence. I never deal with the stereotypical Walmart problems when shopping at either of those stores. They are clean and the lines at the Neighborhood Market Walmart are never long. I usually walk right up to the register without waiting.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 AM

129 posts, read 199,316 times
I have always hated and avoided the Walmarts in my area, but will give it a shot when I move.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM

1,858 posts, read 1,632,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
I have always hated and avoided the Walmarts in my area, but will give it a shot when I move.
For all of the negativity one hears about Walmart, I have never really had a problem getting something I needed - as long as you can avoid the busiest times. The grocery section is almost a separate store - like any other generic supermaket. I have also used the Neighborhood Market on Concord Pkwy. in Concord and it's rarely crowded. While neither has fair-trade Froot Loops or free-range Tuscan Kale, they're OK for the staples.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 AM

105 posts, read 115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
I think Walmarts in the south are generally beter. Most are well kept and have Decent Customer service. Especially if you visit one that is newer or went through a recent ReMod. Food Lion is known as a Bargain Price Southern Market. Its Basically where a Southern Grandma would shop. I'm From Eastern NC And out here The popular Grocery Chains we have are Food Lion, IGA, Walmart, Harris Teeter, Piggly Wiggly and Target. Piggly Wiggly and Food Lion being the more popular of the group. I have searched the Charlotte Area for a Piggly Wiggly and there dont seam to be any. when i move to Charlotte i will miss the Pig. BTW I'm a 23 yo male. lol

Old 12-11-2014, 11:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,721,543 times
Walmarts are better down here? Decent customer service? Yeah no. I will stick with HT, TJ and Aldi.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM

140 posts, read 168,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
I have searched the Charlotte Area for a Piggly Wiggly and there dont seam to be any. when i move to Charlotte i will miss the Pig.
I don't think there are any. I only see them when I get closer to the coast, but then again, I don't travel all over the Carolinas. Just my observation.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,370,061 times
Sadly The Pig doesn't exist in CLT. I wish he did.

IMO, in general, Walmart has the best fresh produce ( for a grocery store) in the area. My theory is due to the large volume in these stores. Without exception all the higher end stores sell produce that tends to be old and sometimes very old. This even though they charge high prices for it. Downside to Walmart, you have to put up with the people who shop there though it's not as bad outside of I-485. Avoid the beginning of the month when the government charges up the EBT cards.

Foodlion is a sinking ship. They have been in decline for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte