U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 AM

44,195 posts, read 17,620,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Food Lion's slogan decades ago used to be LFPINC: Lowest Food Prices In North Carolina. As a chain it originated in Salisbury, NC and reflected that small town bargain shopper flavor. .
The name of the store was Food Town back then, and I remember the Ketner on TV and LFPINC. In those days, they had a lot of mind share in Charlotte grocery business. The stores were a lot different too. They were a different design than the depressing, Soviets would love it, design they adopted in the 80s. I don't think there are any of those old stores left now. All in all, Food Lion today has little resemblance to Food Town and there in lies their big problem.

Their stores and management are like you expect for a very low end grocery, but their prices suggest something on the order of HT or Publix. They have made some half hearted attempts to address it, but IMO, the Northern Europeans are going to bleed them dry and then move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:11 AM

129 posts, read 150,376 times
Nothing specific - just more of a selection. Very limited cuts of meats. Maybe normal for here but on LI we had a wide assortment of brands and cuts for all meats - pork, chicken, beef.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:15 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,019,975 times
Walmart, Walmart Neighborhood Market and Food Lion did not have Escarole, but Harris Teeter did. I felt like Steve Martin's character in "My Blue Heaven" looking for Arugala.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:13 PM

21,835 posts, read 27,084,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
Nothing specific - just more of a selection. Very limited cuts of meats. Maybe normal for here but on LI we had a wide assortment of brands and cuts for all meats - pork, chicken, beef.
Not particularly convenient to you but Ingles Markets opened a new store in Lincoln County recently. Try making a trip on a Saturday or Sunday. It wouldn't be your primary store because of location, but it might be worth an occasional trip for you. They have good meat. They will cut to order. They also carry a good selection as the stores are very large supercenters. They've started carrying some Hanover frozen vegetables. Not the whole line, but some.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Went to Publix for the first time today - Publix Rules!!! Was worth the 10 minute drive.

Can't wait until my Publix opens in early 2015.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:49 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,221,414 times
Quote:
Went to Publix for the first time today - Publix Rules!!! Was worth the 10 minute drive.

Can't wait until my Publix opens in early 2015.
Publix is making a serious dent in Harris Teeter's profits. Wish there were one closer to me!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 AM

When it opens by me (they are building a super store from the ground up) it will be almost directly across the road from Harris Teeter.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:50 AM

27 posts, read 41,207 times
Sometimes fresh baked goods at Fresh Market are not fresh, I live near one and have found moldy items out for sale.

Publix has not won me over, I like coffee, good coffee, and their selection is not up to par.

Earthfare is good, albeit a bit pricey, but they have good sales.

I like Harris Teeter, the customer service is great, the stores are clean, prices can be high, but they have good sales.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:30 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,999,897 times
Quote:
Moving to Lake Norman (Cornelius) shortly and wondering the differences between the 3 main grocers.

Publix and Trader Joe's coming soon - but the above are what I have right now.

Thanks
Food Lion: A very low end grocery store. No self-checkout lines and meager organic offerings. Most of them have closed where I live, mainly because they could not compete with Kroger, Wal-Mart, or Publix. It is the equivalent of a Piggly Wiggly.

Publix: Upscale grocery store with great produce and meat selections. A bit pricey, but not as much as Earth Fare or Harris Teeter. Best customer service, and nice deli.

Harris Teeter: What Food Lion should be. A tad more upscale than Publix, so I hope Kroger doesn't mess them up. Would like to see them move up into Whole Foods territory with more organic and natural food offerings.

Fresh Market: A smaller more upscale market than the others, best hot food and salad bar of the bunch. Not really what I would call a grocery store, more of a market, hence the name.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM

3,432 posts, read 4,295,036 times
I am not sure if Food Lion will try to be Harris Teeter. They tried with the Bloom format and failed. But some of their new format Food Lions have recently been renovated and are nicer, from what I have heard. But both Publix and Harris Teeter are very nice stores and I am happy to hear Harris Teeter is returning to Greenville SC. I hope they will eventually add several new stores in the Upstate, but so far only one has been officially announced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte