Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 06:08 PM

129 posts, read 201,135 times

Advertisements

Moving to Lake Norman (Cornelius) shortly and wondering the differences between the 3 main grocers.

Publix and Trader Joe's coming soon - but the above are what I have right now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 06:34 PM

751 posts, read 934,123 times
Very stereotyping but

Fresh Market = expensive high quality items
Harris Teeter = middle of the road normal grocery store
Food Lion = slightly cheaper supermarket

Old 12-05-2014, 08:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
The Fresh Market is a gourmet grocer known for its fresh foods and premium quality meats.

Harris Teeter and Publix are standard supermarkets offering quality products, fresh foods and necessities. They are on par in terms of prices. Although both chains are good on service, I think Publix has the edge.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
I think Harris Teeter is a more upscale grocery in terms of carrying gourmet and hard to find items than Publix. But . . . that might be dependent on location. And - Publix has the better bakery, in my opinion.

Fresh Market has the best deli items but selection is more limited and since they tend to be aiming for an upscale demographic, you find a more expensive assortment there, too (overall).

But again . . . location is a big factor. My closest H-T has a limited amount of gourmet foods but the one near SouthPark has a much more robust selection (including wine and beer).

Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM

140 posts, read 169,924 times
fresh market is comparable to whole foods, in general.

harris teeter is like a normal supermarket/grocery store but a little more upscale.

food lion is a standard supermarket with pretty good low prices.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the replies - Sounds like HT or Food Lion for me.

I'l check them both out

Old 12-06-2014, 08:47 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times
I think Fresh Market is way overpriced especially for wine/beer. The meats aren't even that special and I once bought bad fish there. I do think their produce is good quality though. Canned and packages goods - lots of gourmet option but you pay a lot.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:27 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoCharlotte View Post
Thanks for the replies - Sounds like HT or Food Lion for me.

I'l check them both out
If you're coming from LI, then you might compare HT and Publix to Stop & Shop, albeit with much better customer service.

Food Lion is more on the level of King Kullen. Definitely a step below Harris Teeter and Publix.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:38 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
I don't think I would really compare Fresh Market to Whole Foods, as Fresh Market is smaller with a more limited selection. I'd probably compare it to Trader Joe's but without the store brand products and the lower prices that go with that.

Although if you like Whole Foods, there is one that opened recently in Huntersville at exit 25 off of 77 which is pretty close to Cornelius. And if health food stores are your thing, there is also an Earth Fare (probably a little similar to Fresh Market but I've only been in there once) at exit 23.

As others have said, Harris Teeter is a traditional grocery store but marketed a little more towards the higher-end. Prices can be high but they also have good specials.

Publix is kinda similar to Harris Teeter, probably a little less higher-end than Harris Teeter, although because they are just entering the Charlotte market all their stores are new and you know they are trying very hard to make an impact here.

Food Lion is also traditional grocery store, a little smaller than Harris Teeter/Publix and marketed for the most part more towards the lower-end. However they have a lot of stores and some are much better than others...the one in Cornelius is probably one of their better ones.

But I'd probably be remiss without mentioning the #1 grocer in Charlotte last time I checked, Walmart, although there isn't one in the immediate vicinity of Cornelius. Coming from the NE I always though Walmart was terrible but a lot of the ones here aren't bad at all IMO. Yes, you will run into some of the "people of Walmart" and they can be crowded if you go at peak times, but of course the prices are tough to beat.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Thanks all!

Will be checking out HT and FL when we get there - Publix not opening until 2015 (and hopefully Trader Joes which is a favorite of mine.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte