U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 PM

56 posts, read 56,105 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Virginia! We moved here in the summer with my wife and daughter who will be three in a few months (i'm late 30's, wife is mid 30's). We escaped Honolulu, HI. where we lived basically all our lives, and due to rediculous prices and cost of living, we got fed up, sold our things , and moved here. What a culture shock the south is! But we love it, the people are warm and friendly. So we want to come down to visit charlotte for possible relocation. My wife is a nurse and I will be graduating this summer and have a possible job offer in finance there. We would like recommendations of places to drive and visit, locations (neighborhoods) to buy a home, preferably an older, historic home with charm. I saw you have some 2-3 bedroom older bungalows, those are really interesting! But basically overwhelmed with the amount of homes for sale in the area and would like some advice. Budget for the home would be under $375k if possible. We are currently living in the hampton roads area, in yorktown, va. We would like suburban, low traffic, low population density if that is even possible for a large city. Thanks!!

Last edited by 808subaru; 12-07-2014 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: added age.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,252,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808subaru View Post
Greetings from Virginia! We moved here in the summer with my wife and daughter who will be three in a few months (i'm late 30's, wife is mid 30's). We escaped Honolulu, HI. where we lived basically all our lives, and due to rediculous prices and cost of living, we got fed up, sold our things , and moved here. What a culture shock the south is! But we love it, the people are warm and friendly. So we want to come down to visit charlotte for possible relocation. My wife is a nurse and I will be graduating this summer and have a possible job offer in finance there. We would like recommendations of places to drive and visit, locations (neighborhoods) to buy a home, preferably an older, historic home with charm. I saw you have some 2-3 bedroom older bungalows, those are really interesting! But basically overwhelmed with the amount of homes for sale in the area and would like some advice. Budget for the home would be under $375k if possible. We are currently living in the hampton roads area, in yorktown, va. We would like suburban, low traffic, low population density if that is even possible for a large city. Thanks!!
Well, here's the bad news lol, it will be hard to find "low population density" in Charlotte when its metro just crossed the one million in population mark recently

That being said, you CAN find areas in and around the city that you could potentially avoid major traffic and a feeling of being in too much hustle and bustle. The key is to live very near where you work. Your problem now is, you don't yet know where that will be!

I understand you want suggestions of places to see and visit, but really until you know where your jobs will be you don't want to get too attached to any one area or you won't likely accomplish your goal of living with less traffic and hustle/bustle.

Here's my suggestion...since your wife is a nurse look at neighborhoods surrounding the hospitals.

That would mean you want to see Dilworth and Sedgefield near uptown and the two big main hospitals, Carolinas Medical Center and Presbyterian,

Canterbury Place or Providence Plantation (whose homes are mostly all well above your price range, but if you can find one in there you like in your range it's a top option) in Matthews near the Presbyterian-Matthews Hospital,

Monteith Park (homes I personally really like - here is an example 15428 Barnsbury Drive, Huntersville NC 28078 (Monteith Park Subdivision) MLS # 3043439) or Macaulay in Huntersville near Presbyterian-Huntersville,

Park Crossing or Cameron Wood in south Charlotte near Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville.

Or neighborhoods in Gastonia within easy distance of CaroMont Regional Medical Center.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 AM

5,866 posts, read 7,691,252 times
Do you know where your possible job could be?

Belmont or Gastonia could be good options which would likely be well below your budget and more low density than Charlotte while still a decent commute to uptown (Belmont particularly, depends where in Gastonia).

As loves mentioned there are some potential areas in Charlotte but the nice ones can be pricey and there is more traffic.

Another option under budget could be the older part of Concord but you'd probably be looking at about 45 minutes to uptown Charlotte, although there is a hospital there.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Thank you lovesmountains and GoPhils.
the office is in white oak area, just next to the 485, between white oak area and McAlpine, also very near ballantyne.
Also, do many people commute from neighboring rock hill, s.c. area?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:02 AM

yikes, i just took a look at home prices in the ballantyne area!! ouch!

Old 12-08-2014, 11:05 AM

381 posts, read 410,103 times
I would tell you to stay in VA for the quality of living benefits, although VA is a crazy police state, you are in the DC/Richmond area, Charotte is WAY better...

Old 12-08-2014, 11:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,850,884 times
Quote:
yikes, i just took a look at home prices in the ballantyne area!! ouch!
Check out Indian Land SC if you are close to Ballantyne. There are pockets where you can have less neighbors but close to everything and well in your budget. Rock Hill is doable but I don't know exactly where White Oak is.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:34 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,850,884 times
Wait are you talking about Pineville, NC? Yes Rock Hill is doable, along with Fort Mill and even Tega Cay in some parts.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:35 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,252,124 times
Quote:
Thank you lovesmountains and GoPhils.
the office is in white oak area, just next to the 485, between white oak area and McAlpine, also very near ballantyne.
Also, do many people commute from neighboring rock hill, s.c. area?
Some might, but it's not a place I would personally choose to live.

Look at Fort Mill instead. That's a fairly good commute in to Charlotte with great schools and neighborhoods.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM

5,866 posts, read 7,691,252 times
Well how serious are you about the historic home with charm request? Not sure how much of those there are in Ballantyne/Fort Mill/Indian Land.

No idea where "White Oak" is, and the only McAlpine I know if is McAlpine Creek Park which isn't near Ballantyne, but assuming the work location is close to Ballantyne and you still don't mind a longer commute, York, SC may be worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte