U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,418,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The problem you are going to have is that "real" bbq places are not open on Sunday. Just how it is.

LLN is about right on this but missed a crucial point. The best BBQ isn't going to be found near the light rail or downtown (Uptown for the new crowd). The best BBQ is to be had in the smaller areas around Charlotte. Mac's is a bastardization (is that even a word?) when it comes to BBQ. It's tasty, but not top quality NC BBQ. Anybody can throw a cut of meat on a grill and make it edible. It's the love that goes into BBQ that makes it great. Mac's just doesn't do that. They're a quantity restaurant, and that's okay. It's fine, but not the best, not by a long shot. I've been there several times, most recently this past weekend. It was good, but not memorable. I'm not going to make recommendations because I'm partial (in case you missed my screen name, look up). Their sauces are acceptable, nothing special. Actually, they are very thin. Read a lot of reviews online. If you want BBQ, make a road trip and eat good BBQ until you get sick of it. I think there is a NC BBQ Trail, or a Carolina BBQ Trail. Something similar. Do football or BBQ, just not both in the same trip. If you think you can get both within walking distance of the light rail, you'll be sorely disappointed with both, especially this season (4-8-1 ring a bell?).

Being serious, come to Charlotte to catch a game and eat before the game. Don't expect to come to Charlotte and catch a wordl-class game AND world-class BBQ in the same day unless you're driving a lot of miles. The best BBQ is in the towns an hour away from downtown. If you want to make a weekend of it, get some BBQ on Saturday and some Panthers football on Sunday. I have heard the BBQ nachos at the stadium are pretty good if that's any consolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 AM

533 posts, read 765,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
The best BBQ is to be had in the smaller areas around Charlotte.
/this

Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 15,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Like the atmosphere and sides at Macs, just not their BBQ. Especially disappointed by the brisket.

Sauceman's is what, 2 blocks from the light rail - but may not be convenient to get off, and then have to catch another train.

If you are going to Queen City and planning on walking to the game from there, might as well just drive and park in the 7th St garage by Imaginon, and save the hassle of the train. Parking won't be expensive there, and Queen City is right in that same complex.
Thanks for the insight. I've been reconsidering the light rail idea and just planning on parking uptown since that's where we'll be. Hopefully I can find something for less than $10 or so to park for the day.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 15,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
LLN is about right on this but missed a crucial point. The best BBQ isn't going to be found near the light rail or downtown (Uptown for the new crowd). The best BBQ is to be had in the smaller areas around Charlotte. Mac's is a bastardization (is that even a word?) when it comes to BBQ. It's tasty, but not top quality NC BBQ. Anybody can throw a cut of meat on a grill and make it edible. It's the love that goes into BBQ that makes it great. Mac's just doesn't do that. They're a quantity restaurant, and that's okay. It's fine, but not the best, not by a long shot. I've been there several times, most recently this past weekend. It was good, but not memorable. I'm not going to make recommendations because I'm partial (in case you missed my screen name, look up). Their sauces are acceptable, nothing special. Actually, they are very thin. Read a lot of reviews online. If you want BBQ, make a road trip and eat good BBQ until you get sick of it. I think there is a NC BBQ Trail, or a Carolina BBQ Trail. Something similar. Do football or BBQ, just not both in the same trip. If you think you can get both within walking distance of the light rail, you'll be sorely disappointed with both, especially this season (4-8-1 ring a bell?).

Being serious, come to Charlotte to catch a game and eat before the game. Don't expect to come to Charlotte and catch a wordl-class game AND world-class BBQ in the same day unless you're driving a lot of miles. The best BBQ is in the towns an hour away from downtown. If you want to make a weekend of it, get some BBQ on Saturday and some Panthers football on Sunday. I have heard the BBQ nachos at the stadium are pretty good if that's any consolation.
I understand what you're saying, and if I had time I'd definitely love to check out some out of the way places. On this trip though I'm just looking for a decent place to get some lunch before the game so I can fill up and not need to eat crazy priced stadium food.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 PM

128 posts, read 201,982 times
Stop in Lexington on the way down and get some good BBQ.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:51 PM

181 posts, read 301,461 times
Sauceman's used to have a deal where you could park there and take a shuttle to/from the game and food before/after for $20 or something. Don't know if they still do but seemed like a good deal. Oh the BBQ is pretty good too! It's the closest to Lexington style around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or