Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:30 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
What difference does making the playoffs make if Cam cannot walk when he is 40 years old?.....
Millions of dollars. They pay a price for the salaries they get. He makes more money in 6 months that most people will make in a lifetime of working. The owners paying out this money are going to want him to play as soon as the doctors say he can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The owners paying out this money are going to want him to play as soon as the doctors say he can.
And so will he

Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And so will he
As he should.... legends are made in the playoffs. If he is cleared to play, he will play. Its what athletes do.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM

373 posts, read 778,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Which is why I only said if he's medically cleared. He looked pretty healthy on Sunday. If he's medically cleared then he shouldn't really have any more of a chance to "destroy his body and health" than normal. Unfortunately, as an NFL player it's his job to put his "body and health" at risk. That's part of the reason they get paid millions of dollars. And I'm sure he won't mind it if they have a chance to make the playoffs. If they make the playoffs, anything can happen, and you really don't know how many opportunities you'll have to play in the postseason. (and of course, if they make the playoffs then there will be a playoff game in Charlotte, which would be good for Charlotte)
Medically cleared is a farse.
Team doctors are paid to push players on the field, ready or not.
It is every day routine to violate their oath of medicine, ethics, and personal conscience.
Independent doctors will almost always advise against playing, and really only clear the player to leave the hospital or extended care.
As long as they are not hooked up to a machine to stay alive, then it is technically the players choice upon being released from medical care to play or not.
They are always pressured to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Anyone who plays NFL, Hockey, Boxing, MMA, UFC disagrees with you.
I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of professional athletes across the globe who would disagree.
Just look at all of the long standing lawsuits from veteran players of the NFL as well as current lawsuits relating to concussion syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Millions of dollars. They pay a price for the salaries they get. He makes more money in 6 months that most people will make in a lifetime of working. The owners paying out this money are going to want him to play as soon as the doctors say he can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
As he should.... legends are made in the playoffs. If he is cleared to play, he will play. Its what athletes do.
Professional athletes are paid to perform.
They are not gladiators paid to give their lives away.
Yes there has been a history of consequences from teams when the player chooses to heal up and delay playing.
At the end of the day, a human being has a right to take care of their body and not foolishly risk their future health or future professional success for short term gain.
The smart ones do and are rewarded for it in the end.
Those who compromise their health pay a steep long term price.

The goal for all of us is to win at the game of life.
Not throw out lives away for a short term career and long term health problems.
Fame and fortune can be achieved without professional sports, and without unnecessary risk to your body and health.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:12 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
We are to assume that a team doctor is paid to clear a player, a substantial investment, to play if he is not physically ready? I have to disagree with that. I think it is safe to believe a regular GP is always going to err on the side of caution. A team doctor could still be sued for malpractice or whatever it is if he clears someone and winds up getting hurt worse.

Seriously, why would a team owner allow a physician to play loose and fast with someone the owner is paying, in some cases, tens of millions of dollars? You don't get to the level the team owners are at by making poor financial decisions. That would be a textbook-perfect example of a poor financial decision.

Aside from that, Mr. Cheesecracker, I agree with your post. Well, except for winning the game of life. We all lose that game at some point. We may or may not have been in the lead along the way. But we still lose.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
We are to assume that a team doctor is paid to clear a player, a substantial investment, to play if he is not physically ready? I have to disagree with that. I think it is safe to believe a regular GP is always going to err on the side of caution. A team doctor could still be sued for malpractice or whatever it is if he clears someone and winds up getting hurt worse.

Seriously, why would a team owner allow a physician to play loose and fast with someone the owner is paying, in some cases, tens of millions of dollars? You don't get to the level the team owners are at by making poor financial decisions. That would be a textbook-perfect example of a poor financial decision.

Aside from that, Mr. Cheesecracker, I agree with your post. Well, except for winning the game of life. We all lose that game at some point. We may or may not have been in the lead along the way. But we still lose.
The only reason doctors are more cautious is because everyone is watching now due to the concussions.

If you don't think team doctors were paid to clear players then I don't know what to tell you. Half these guys suing the league have no problem telling people the team demanded they suit up. The other half will tell you they lied about how much pain they were in to keep playing because they didn't want to let teammates down or they feared a backup taking their roster spot.

The average NFL career is 3 years... the window for success and a big pay day is small for most players.

Look at RGIII 2 or 3 years ago when his leg wasn't healed all the way and he limped his way to a playoff loss vs Seattle. You don't think Dan Snyder begged/demanded he play if cleared? You don't think the team doctor had someone whisper in his ear?

This is a billion dollar business and these guys are replaceable. You may think an owner is protecting his investment by being cautious but it's the EXACT OPPOSITE. They protect their investments by making sure more money comes in then goes out and by getting the public to pay for stadium upgrades. It's that simple.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Yes there has been a history of consequences from teams when the player chooses to heal up and delay playing.
At the end of the day, a human being has a right to take care of their body and not foolishly risk their future health or future professional success for short term gain.

Fame and fortune can be achieved without professional sports, and without unnecessary risk to your body and health.
the goal for most people is to live life to the fullest. I think those who die climbing mountains, reporting in war torn countries or die trying to sail around the world would are living life the way they think it's supposed to be lived.

human beings have the right to do whatever they want.

The people who do XGames, race speed boats or ski down K5 slopes think sitting at home in a bubble is throwing their life away.

For some it isn't even about fame and fortune. It's just what they were born to do.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:

Interesting pontificating, but your response to me really has nothing to do with what I said.

It boils down to this. Offer to pay someone $22M+, along with fame and additional money from sponsorships, in exchange for the "potential" of causing a lifetime injury, and I'm willing to bet the line of applicants will be long enough to cross the continent. It's their choice to join this business.

They don't pay people this kind of money to sit it out for weeks. Your philosophy is little more than a fable.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:00 PM

great win, I can't believe this team is in the playoff hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte