U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:02 AM

76 posts, read 192,238 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Charlotte in the summer of 2015 and I'm looking for a home in Myers Park, South Park, or that general area. Looking for Selwyn or Sharon Elementary and Myers Park HS. Here's the catch - we want to spend $500k or less. I love the homes in Beverly Woods, but the inventory is so low right now and the homes that come up, sell so fast! There are beautiful homes for sale, but they are 700 or 800k. I'm hoping things will pick up in the spring - we can't buy until we sell our current home, and can't move until summer, so we still have some time.

If anyone has any ideas for me, let me know. I am so excited to move - I just hope we can find a home in the area we want. Also, any realtors, feel free to direct message me - I don't have a set realtor that I'm working with yet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 07:05 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,529,533 times
Under 500k in Myers Park is going to be on the market for less than a day if that even happens. South Park is potentially doable. Beverly woods maybe.....

Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 AM

186 posts, read 215,182 times
Inventory in quality areas such as you require is extremely tight. A working relationship with a broker is absolutely required to have a chance at any such listing. Be prepared to make an offer on the spot if there is a property you can consider. In preferred locations any contingent offer may be dismissed. There is a great deal of cash chasing a small number of properties. As my experience in the past month has shown me, to my sadness but also to my education.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,529,533 times
I recently bought in this area.... House was on the market a total of 4 days with 4 offers. Had to go over ask, but it was worth it to win out.

I can attest to it being hot. Previously missed out on a few other properties due to being conservative.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:15 AM

I will be prepared to make an offer on the spot! Believe me - when I find what I want, I will know.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:54 AM

830 posts, read 1,315,093 times
Most of Myers Park are Eastover or Dilworth Elementary (or walk zone to Myers Park Traditional magnet)....but there are some parts on the southern edge of MP around Selwyn/Colony are zoned for Selwyn.

Almost all of the in-town neighborhoods are extremely hot. We've probably seen price appreciation well into the double digits in the last 12-18 months in our immediate area, and also a significant increase in remodel/expansion activity. Not uncommon to see $250-300K+ for complete tear-downs. At the $500K price range, you are probably looking an older home in the area between Freedom Park and Park Rd Shopping center, which isn't really Myers Park.

Extending further south outside of Woodlawn gives some more options - maybe in Barclay Downs, Mountainbrook, Governors Sq along with Beverly Woods. All goods choices.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Ok then maybe I'm not really aware of what Myers Park means - thank you this is very helpful. Maybe I am talking South Park. I am looking at Ashbrook, Barclay Downs, Mountainbrook - the area east of Park Road and west of Sharon Road.

And have I mentioned I LOVE split level homes around 2,000 square feet that have been recently renovated?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
Ok then maybe I'm not really aware of what Myers Park means - thank you this is very helpful. Maybe I am talking South Park. I am looking at Ashbrook, Barclay Downs, Mountainbrook - the area east of Park Road and west of Sharon Road.
Yeah, that would not be part of Myers Park. Myers Park, the real Myers Park, isn't a very big area. There is a larger area around it of post WWII homes called Myers Park Manor, but even this would not include the neighborhoods that you describe. (though they are all very nice). IMO, buying in any of these areas would be much more desirable than heading out the the hinterlands to purchase in the latest McMansion neighborhood being tossed up.

If you are looking for mid century moderns on nice lots, you might also consider the Cotswald area.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:11 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,134,161 times
If you love split level homes you are in luck. They are typically not a popular floor plan.

Not much point in looking right now since most homes currently listed will be sold in the spring. I agree with other posters that you need a good agent to keep an eye out when the time is right.

You should have NO trouble finding a split level in Beverly Woods under $500,000 as the highest priced sale in Beverly Woods over the last 12 months is $490,000! The average sales price in Beverly Woods over the last 12 months is $320,086 and the average sales price for a split level home in Beverly Woods over the last 12 months is $283,271.

Are you sure you are looking in Beverly Woods? I believe Beverly Woods is in the South Mecklenburg High school district?

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM

489 posts, read 726,725 times
According to the boundary map, Beverly Woods is about half South Meck, half Myers Park. North of Sulkirk is in Myers Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or