Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2014, 04:44 AM

107 posts, read 220,721 times

Advertisements

Every state seems to enforce this law differently. Once you become a NC resident, whats the timeline to register your car and change your drivers license over to NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:16 AM

338 posts, read 796,720 times
Heres all you need from the DMV

NCDOT: New to NC or Moving?

60 days for License and 30 for your car

Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 AM

37 posts, read 48,504 times
Just beware if you lease your car - there was additional time and paperwork involved. Required a power of attorney from the leasing company in order to register in NC, which took about two weeks to get...

Old 12-11-2014, 08:00 AM

95 posts, read 280,340 times
"The written and road tests may be waived if a valid license from another state is surrendered. If the out-of-state license has been expired more than two years, the written and road tests are required."

So if I move from Florida and will not be using my FL license and apply for NC license, I don't have to take the written/driving test?

Old 12-11-2014, 09:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc101 View Post
"The written and road tests may be waived if a valid license from another state is surrendered. If the out-of-state license has been expired more than two years, the written and road tests are required."

So if I move from Florida and will not be using my FL license and apply for NC license, I don't have to take the written/driving test?
I didn't have to take the written or driving test when I surrendered my FL license.

Only thing is, they are really particular about paperwork needed. If you don't have one of the required documents, GET IT. They don't budge on their requirements. I had to reorder birth certificates and social security cards because hubby thought it was a great idea to laminate them. I had gotten new licenses in the last several years when we moved a lot and never had an issue with our laminated paperwork. But NC put a stop to that and we had to jump through the hoops in order to get our license. But we didn't have to take any tests.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM

95 posts, read 280,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I didn't have to take the written or driving test when I surrendered my FL license.

Only thing is, they are really particular about paperwork needed. If you don't have one of the required documents, GET IT. They don't budge on their requirements. I had to reorder birth certificates and social security cards because hubby thought it was a great idea to laminate them. I had gotten new licenses in the last several years when we moved a lot and never had an issue with our laminated paperwork. But NC put a stop to that and we had to jump through the hoops in order to get our license. But we didn't have to take any tests.
thank you!! always so helpful!

Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I wouldn't worry about getting anything done in a certain amount of time. THere are people here running tags from out of state that are long-expired or well past the 60-day window. That is rarely ever enforced. I saw a guy from VA running tags that were expired for over a year and he never bothered with them. I say that because I saw the same car in the same parking space, day after day, for over a year with those expired plates. The bad thing is that I still remember the plate number, or in this case letters. It was a vanity plate from VA on a blue BMW.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:52 AM

107 posts, read 220,721 times
Thanks everyone for the insight. For people who have moved there, did you auto insurance provider require you switch plates/licenses to get coverage written there?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:24 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,159 times
If you move from Florida to NC, your insurance premiums WILL go down. NC has some of the lowest rates in the county. I think we are th 6th or 7th lowest. For that reason, it makes sense to register in the state with the lowest premiums. HOWEVER, note that when you bring a car into the state that was not purchased in NC, you will pay what amounts to the sales tax on that vehicle. It's our way to say welcome to NC and we'll try our best to milk you of every dime. Other states may have the same process, but to me it's "double taxation" and forget about representation in Raleigh. Now, I will go have my coffee and bran muffin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: