U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 05:14 AM

191 posts, read 935,940 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We will be relocating to the Concord area soon. My question is:
Should I wait until the kids get out of school in the summer to move or move now mid quarter?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 11:31 AM

362 posts, read 898,309 times
How old are your children? We thought my husband was going to get a job there before the year was up but it didn't come through. ( After 10 interviews they decided not to fill the position. ) Anyway I have a child in HS and when I called some of the schools they run on a different schedule than here in NJ. Also I read an article in a magazine wriiten by a teenager who moved all the time and she said she actually preferred to move during the year instead of starting fresh in Sept. when she got lost in the back to school frenzy. If you move now you may be able to establish friendships for yourself. Sometimes it's not so easy in the summer when people are coming and going. Where in Concord are you moving? We liked that area too. Best of luck to you, much happiness.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM

293 posts, read 865,176 times
I agree with the teenager in the article. I'm moving in 3 weeks, so my kids will be starting in their new schools the first week in December. Thankfully, they are excited about the move and adjust pretty easily. When I called their schools, they said there are new kids all the time, so they won't be the new ones for too long. They will establish friendships and be familiar with their schools for next year. Let's hope it is as easy as that!

Old 11-03-2006, 03:05 PM

463 posts, read 1,516,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPGH View Post
Hi all!

We will be relocating to the Concord area soon. My question is:
Should I wait until the kids get out of school in the summer to move or move now mid quarter?

thanks!
They are your children. No one who participates in this forum knows them better than you. What do *you* think that you should do?

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-03-2006 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,174 times
Default Summer is an easier transition

Donna, it seems Summer's would be an easier transition if waiting is an option.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:01 AM

thanks everyone - my kids are 11 & 12 yrs old and Cassie, I know what "I" would like to do, I'm just asking the opinion of people who have completed the move themselves. Nothing like first hand experience. My family and I would like to move asap - I just wanted to ask people who've been down the road before to see how it worked out for the kids.

thanks everyone for the feedback!

Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 AM

20 posts, read 46,204 times
Hi Donna,

I am also in the same situation as you. I want to move as soon as possible, but we have decided to wait until the summer when both me and my kids are out of school. Plus, it gives us time to get situated, and not having to rush to enroll them in school over the weekend. We're looking at the Concord area as well.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 AM

88 posts, read 230,458 times
Hi! Well, in my real and ideal world....I would have preferred to move during the summer before the school year started. Unfortunantly, we will be moving right after Christmas and starting the kids at school in NC Jan 2nd. I have a 12 yr, 11 yr and 8 yr old. They say that kids adapt fairly quickly so I just hope and pray that they do.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:03 PM

Yea Newbie, I was thinking about it and I feel the summer would be best too. I'll quit my job, the kids will be out of school and we can concentrate on moving and fun stuff!

Did you look into schools yet? I've tossing between Griffin Middle, Harris and Concord Middle.

Anyone have an opinion on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte