U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,332,313 times

Advertisements

I'm coming next week to visit my family in Charlotte. I was hoping to find some fun things to do besides hanging out with family, presents, dinners, and hanging out at peoples' houses for two weeks. Last year we checked out the Aviation museum and that was pretty cool. I've also been to the Billy Graham library. Neat place as well. I'm not much of a sports fan. I enjoy museums (especially art) but also enjoy bowling, mini-golf, pool, batting cages, arcades, stuff like that. I was trying to search for some family-friendly places that would still be pretty fun for everyone (or almost everyone at least). One idea I had was checking out the Levine Museum of the South as I have never been there. While it seems interesting, it also seems like a pretty small place and may not be worth driving all the way uptown for it (I would be staying in Matthews). After looking through several to-do sites, I just couldn't come up with any other ideas. While it's nice to see everyone, it also gets boring just going to the same houses and doing the same type of stuff every year. I'll be alone without plans some days but spending a lot of time with family too. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM

151 posts, read 229,996 times
The museum of the new south is excellent. Small but excellent. There are two separate buildings for the Mint Museum ( art).

Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM

423 posts, read 664,999 times
If there are kids, you can take them to see the singing bears uptown. There's also the gingerbread houses in the Ballantyne Hotel. Then look at lights in places like Lake Park or McAddenville.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:17 PM

140 posts, read 137,484 times
Matthews to Uptown is not too far of a drive. You can do much more in the area versus just the museum. Walk around to view the buildings; try a pastry at the Uptown Amelie's; Multiple other museums (not sure of their cost but we have quite a few!); visit Pocket Park, the Greenway, Trade+Tryon, Latta Arcade, French Quarter.

Bowling, we have a few alleys and some of them offer nice food and drink specials, they tend to be lively on the weekends.
Strike City @ Epicentre is a great example.

Hope you have a nice visit!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 AM

343 posts, read 488,797 times
I would think a trip to the Nascar Hall of Fame would be different and interesting. I am by no means a race fan, but I have been to the Hall of Fame and it is pretty cool. Right outside you have the ice skating rink if anyone would want to do that instead. If it's relatively nice out you could always do the Charlotte Liberty Walk in uptown. It's a neat way to learn a little more about Charlotte and the surrounding area's contributions to the Revolutionary War.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 15,621 times
You can mill around NODA and catch lunch at one of the shops at North Davidson Street.
There is a 24 hour Amelie's at 2424 North Davidson.
Uptown Charlotte is pretty casual not too many bums.
If you shop there is a new outlet off I-485 near hwy 49
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or