U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Erie, PA
22 posts, read 21,844 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

This is one of the reasons we started to look at the Lake Norman/Lake Wylie areas. We where originally looking at some lake areas in TN but the overwhelming response on those areas where very religious based. My wife is religious but I am not and do not want to be hounded at work or in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 4,596,955 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
40 minutes doesn't get you to the exurbs. Depending on where you would be commuting to, in Charlotte, is how far out you can get. You'll get further out on the west side. There are fewer traffic problems west of Charlotte.
Thanks for the info. 50-60 minutes commute is also fine I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 09:43 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 4,596,955 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailem View Post
This is one of the reasons we started to look at the Lake Norman/Lake Wylie areas. We where originally looking at some lake areas in TN but the overwhelming response on those areas where very religious based. My wife is religious but I am not and do not want to be hounded at work or in my neighborhood.
So are places like Cornelius and Davidson places where an agnostic can live at ease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 AM
 
830 posts, read 1,315,208 times
Reputation: 608
I don't think this is an issue anywhere in the greater Charlotte area.
My sense is that among church goers, you'll get more "mega church" attendees in the suburbs and exurbs, and more "traditional" churches in town.
It has honestly never come up in almost 7 years here....except for me being annoyed that I can't buy or order alcohol before a certain time on Sundays due to old Blue Laws that are still in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
 
367 posts, read 558,023 times
Reputation: 309
As someone who's anti-religion and doesn't go to church unless it's a funeral or wedding, I think this is just silly.

I've never been approached by anyone to join a church or anything about religion.

I'd also advise on not insulating yourself. Live were you wanna live, but when you are only around people exactly like you, you become less tolerant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 4,596,955 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
I don't think this is an issue anywhere in the greater Charlotte area.
My sense is that among church goers, you'll get more "mega church" attendees in the suburbs and exurbs, and more "traditional" churches in town.
It has honestly never come up in almost 7 years here....except for me being annoyed that I can't buy or order alcohol before a certain time on Sundays due to old Blue Laws that are still in place.
Do you live in the city itself? I was under the impression that the city and the suburbs/exurbs are very different. Do you think it would be an issue for children not attending church on sundays? I would loathe to see kids being excluded, shunned and mistreated as "priests of satan" by the other families in the neighborhood, that's why it is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,720 posts, read 9,345,072 times
Reputation: 5230
Been in Charlotte 4 years and we have never been pressured about church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 AM
 
12,714 posts, read 4,596,955 times
Reputation: 5159
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
As someone who's anti-religion and doesn't go to church unless it's a funeral or wedding, I think this is just silly.

I've never been approached by anyone to join a church or anything about religion.

I'd also advise on not insulating yourself. Live were you wanna live, but when you are only around people exactly like you, you become less tolerant.
I think you are so right about this, and for sure you have a good life philosophy. However, I also think people need to feel a sense of community and if 95% of the community organize every social event around the church and shun families and their children who dont participate and talk behind their backs, I think it is human nature to feel excluded and less happy. Can I ask which area you base your experience from if you dont mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
 
2,082 posts, read 3,566,752 times
Reputation: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you live in the city itself? I was under the impression that the city and the suburbs/exurbs are very different. Do you think it would be an issue for children not attending church on sundays? I would loathe to see kids being excluded, shunned and mistreated as "priests of satan" by the other families in the neighborhood, that's why it is important.
Nobody cares or judges you on what/where you and kids do/go on Sunday.

It seems like most kids sport activities are in weekends, so I don't see why people seem to think Charlotte & area would be any different than cities up north... especially when more than 90% persons you'll meet here are from anywhere but natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM
 
625 posts, read 199,724 times
Reputation: 522
You won't be shunned for not attending a local church.
We're Unitarian Universalists, which means we have Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Jewish, pagans, pantheists and ultra-liberal Christians in our congregation, and we don't feel out of place.

Your neighbors would have no way of knowing if you attend a church or not unless it's something you bring up in conversation.

I HAVE been asked what church we attend, but I could have easily said none and I don't think anyone would care.

There are plenty of non-church activities to be involved in around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top