Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times

Advertisements

We've been here 12 years and its not that big of an issue. Knowing lots of folks and living in South Charlotte/Western UC suburbs, there is a big mix of people here from all walks of life, so you'll fit in. We have close friends from the die hard atheist to the southern baptist preacher and we all get along just fine. That being said, if you are looking for it, you'll definitly the overly religious tones, but mostly through your filter/lens. But that's anywhere and most times it never comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:58 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Nobody cares or judges you on what/where you and kids do/go on Sunday.

It seems like most kids sport activities are in weekends, so I don't see why people seem to think Charlotte & area would be any different than cities up north... especially when more than 90% persons you'll meet here are from anywhere but natives.
Does this also apply to places like Huntersville, Cornelius, Harrisburg, Lowesville, Mt Holly and Belmont? Or are you strictly focusing on the urban areas within the city of Charlotte?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Does this also apply to places like Huntersville, Cornelius, Harrisburg, Lowesville, Mt Holly and Belmont? Or are you strictly focusing on the urban areas within the city of Charlotte?
We live on the south side outside of Charlotte - Union County.
However since we have friends in all areas surrounding Charlotte, I don't think there is any difference.

Charlotte area has so many church denominations that if religious neighbors don't see a next door neghbor at their church, I don't think they would automatically assume that family is anti-religion. And they don't care anyway, you'll find most Christians are very accepting and ready to help anybody.

Goes without saying that if you want to make new friends, avoid passionate discussions on politics & religion (even sports)...no matter where you are.

Last edited by 28173; 12-16-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 11:22 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Who told you these lies?

Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:

Listen to the people. There are enough problems in this world without making one.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. 50-60 minutes commute is also fine I think.
You could check out Belmont, Cramerton, & Kings Mountain. You could also look in SE Gastonia. That would take you from the suburbs to the exurbs. Kings Mountain is 30 miles out. It won't work for all locations in Charlotte. It is about 30 minutes from the airport.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:41 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,664 times
Quote:
Do you live in the city itself? I was under the impression that the city and the suburbs/exurbs are very different. Do you think it would be an issue for children not attending church on sundays? I would loathe to see kids being excluded, shunned and mistreated as "priests of satan" by the other families in the neighborhood, that's why it is important.
In the "city"...or at least, in one of the "in town" neighborhoods.

Not an issue for kids being excluded for not attending church. It has never even come up with the families on our street, or elsewhere. There are kids playing outside on sunday mornings, just as there are on saturday mornings. You'll see other kids going to church. Others out at restaurants, or wherever.

As someone who never goes to church (but whose wife does), you are making way, way too much of this issue.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
In the "city"...or at least, in one of the "in town" neighborhoods.

Not an issue for kids being excluded for not attending church. It has never even come up with the families on our street, or elsewhere. There are kids playing outside on sunday mornings, just as there are on saturday mornings. You'll see other kids going to church. Others out at restaurants, or wherever.

As someone who never goes to church (but whose wife does), you are making way, way too much of this issue.
someone told them this was Bible Belt country and I think they literally believe people actually wear bibles on their belts.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:21 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
We are atheists. My kids have had friends of many stripes. Everyone is very accepting here. I really think this would only be a problem if you lived in rural NC - like Shelby or Albemarle. Most of our friends are non-believers as well. Of course you will find the occasional non-accepting person, but this is true everywhere. Why shelter yourself from them?
FYI we live in Olde Providence - a middle ring suburb.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:11 PM

22 posts, read 27,350 times
I never really thought much about it.where I live now it is not an issue. I started to read up on some areas in TN and I was shocked by how much I read about kids being shunned at school or getting shunned at work for not going to church.
For me it wasn't about thinking it was the Bible belt but finding out that it does actually exist in some places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte