U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 09:32 PM

810 posts, read 1,127,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I find it hard to believe that one can get from Highland Creek to uptown in 30 minutes on most days. I would've thought closer to 40-45. So while that's certainly better than coming from Mooresville, not sure if that'd really be worth moving and leaving an area/schools you really like.

Even if it is 40-45 minutes, it would still save close to an hour each way. That is a lot of time I could be spending with my daughter helping her with homework or doing over things. I know Mooresville has good schools but there are other good schools out there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 06:39 AM

5,896 posts, read 7,751,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Even if it is 40-45 minutes, it would still save close to an hour each way. That is a lot of time I could be spending with my daughter helping her with homework or doing over things. I know Mooresville has good schools but there are other good schools out there also.
Well it's certainly up to you. So I take it there's no chance of you/your spouse being able to go in at non-rush hour times?

Old 12-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well it's certainly up to you. So I take it there's no chance of you/your spouse being able to go in at non-rush hour times?
I don't think so. Who is going to allow us to come in at 10am or later? Besides, if we do, that puts us getting home about the same time or later so..................

We can't go in really early since we have a child to get ready for school. Well, one of of us couldn't.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:15 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,484,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would seriously consider putting up with the commute if it meant having to take my children out of Mooresville school district to relocate.

If you are looking for a 30-40 minute commute, you can do that from most locations in South Charlotte, too (depending where "uptown").

I am not particularly fond of the Highland Creek area, nor am I thrilled with Ft. Mill. So perhaps my advice isn't the best, lol.
I live near Ani. I've made it uptown starting in at 7am & getting to my destination at Trade & Tryon at 7:40am. That would include the car already in a garage & me at my destination. Then again I've made it from the arena to Ballantyne in 20 minutes at 3am with no traffic on the roads & no red lights. Right now though I'm taking 485 to 77N to Harris Blvd. I leave from 12:30pm - 1pm & I get there generally in 30 minutes. There is always a slowdown between Nations Ford Rd. & Woodlawn Rd. for no explicable reason. Traffic generally moves pretty quickly and traffic is moderate. You don't have to rely on the highways either. Park Road is pretty fast if you leave before the school traffic starts.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:46 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,199,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I live near Ani. I've made it uptown starting in at 7am & getting to my destination at Trade & Tryon at 7:40am. That would include the car already in a garage & me at my destination. Then again I've made it from the arena to Ballantyne in 20 minutes at 3am with no traffic on the roads & no red lights. Right now though I'm taking 485 to 77N to Harris Blvd. I leave from 12:30pm - 1pm & I get there generally in 30 minutes. There is always a slowdown between Nations Ford Rd. & Woodlawn Rd. for no explicable reason. Traffic generally moves pretty quickly and traffic is moderate. You don't have to rely on the highways either. Park Road is pretty fast if you leave before the school traffic starts.
Great info on routes from S. Charlotte, Barking!

Seriously, if you can't figure out a way to speed up that commute from Mooresville, I wouldn't limit the house hunting to Highland Creek and/or Ft. Mill. South Charlotte should be on that list, as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Great info on routes from S. Charlotte, Barking!

Seriously, if you can't figure out a way to speed up that commute from Mooresville, I wouldn't limit the house hunting to Highland Creek and/or Ft. Mill. South Charlotte should be on that list, as well.

My hunting isn't limited in the least. I am willing to go anywhere that will get me about a 30 minute drive to North Tryon Street as long as I can find a comparable school system to what we have now.

What/where is Ani? I am not familiar with this and Google is not helping.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:41 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:
My hunting isn't limited in the least. I am willing to go anywhere that will get me about a 30 minute drive to North Tryon Street as long as I can find a comparable school system to what we have now.

What/where is Ani? I am not familiar with this and Google is not helping.
Your hunting isn't limited, but your choices really are.

To get schools comparable to what you have in Mooresville AND that let you get to work in 30 minutes or so you really want Fort Mill or Belmont/Cramerton.

Now, you could also look at south Charlotte INSIDE hwy 51 along the Providence Rd or Carmel Rd corridors, but anything further out than hwy 51 is going to seriously impact your commute time in to your job. This area would put you in either Myers Park High School or Providence High School attendance zones.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:39 AM

21,996 posts, read 27,299,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Your hunting isn't limited, but your choices really are.

To get schools comparable to what you have in Mooresville AND that let you get to work in 30 minutes or so you really want Fort Mill or Belmont/Cramerton.

Now, you could also look at south Charlotte INSIDE hwy 51 along the Providence Rd or Carmel Rd corridors, but anything further out than hwy 51 is going to seriously impact your commute time in to your job. This area would put you in either Myers Park High School or Providence High School attendance zones.
Thanks, loves. We have a poster with children in the Cramerton Middle School group, Sloante. He's a Charlotte native. I believe that he does a commute to Uptown. He & his family are very happy with their move.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:31 AM

In my research so far, it seems there is a trend in most areas in which the elementary and middle schools are really good and the high school is awful. Why is that?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:
In my research so far, it seems there is a trend in most areas in which the elementary and middle schools are really good and the high school is awful. Why is that?
Personally, I have always found the middle schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg to be the "weak link". I can't really think of too many great middle schools with "awful" high school assignments. Can you give me an example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or