U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 AM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Personally, I have always found the middle schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg to be the "weak link". I can't really think of too many great middle schools with "awful" high school assignments. Can you give me an example?
Middle schools usually are the weak link. That's why I specifically told him Cramerton Middle. Stuart Cramer HS is new & they are adding one grade per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:57 AM

810 posts, read 1,126,630 times
Quote:
Personally, I have always found the middle schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg to be the "weak link". I can't really think of too many great middle schools with "awful" high school assignments. Can you give me an example?

I found an area in Huntersville off of Beatties Ford Rd that looks really nice. It looks like the elementary school (Barnette) and the middle school (Francis Bradley) have high ratings and the high school (Hopewell) is just bad.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I found an area in Huntersville off of Beatties Ford Rd that looks really nice. It looks like the elementary school (Barnette) and the middle school (Francis Bradley) have high ratings and the high school (Hopewell) is just bad.
Ah, well then that would be the exception to my "rule"

Here's the reality - the highest rated high schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg are in south and southeast Charlotte.

IF you leave Mooresville for Charlotte and plan to use CharMeck schools you should be concentrating on "area 4" like WaldoKitty mentioned on the other thread similar to this one. Commuting to Uptown from Huntersville or from Ft. Mill

Old 12-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Middle schools usually are the weak link. That's why I specifically told him Cramerton Middle. Stuart Cramer HS is new & they are adding one grade per year.
I forgot to mention that living in Gaston opens up the possibility of applying to Highland Tech, which is one of the best high schools in the state.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that living in Gaston opens up the possibility of applying to Highland Tech, which is one of the best high schools in the state.
I am not familiar with this school, but when I google it I am intrigued

Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I am not familiar with this school, but when I google it I am intrigued
It's a highly rated school, loves. The kids who qualify are admitted by lottery, so I don't usually bring it up. There's no guarantee on admittance to magnet schools. However, in this case, he should be at least aware of it.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 PM

810 posts, read 1,126,630 times
Quote:
It's a highly rated school, loves. The kids who qualify are admitted by lottery, so I don't usually bring it up. There's no guarantee on admittance to magnet schools. However, in this case, he should be at least aware of it.
After doing a little reading, in my opinion, this is what high school should be all about. Instead of teaching a student how to pass a standardized test, schools should be prepping students for college and/or teaching students skills that can be used in the workforce.

Where do kids go that are unable to get into it?

Last edited by wevie; 12-27-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
How does this even work? Is it not a public school to which living in it's district allow students to attend?

Where do kids go that are unable to get into it?
As southbound said, it's a magnet so there is a lottery system in place to determine who gets in.

I would imagine if someone applies and does not make it then they just go to the school their address is assigned to. That's how it works in Charlotte anyway.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
As southbound said, it's a magnet so there is a lottery system in place to determine who gets in.

I would imagine if someone applies and does not make it then they just go to the school their address is assigned to. That's how it works in Charlotte anyway.
That's correct, unless, of course, the student got into the early college. That's why I'm currently suggesting the area that feeds to Stuart Cramer HS. Cramerton Middle was feeding Forestview but is now feeding Stuart Cramer. I don't know how things will shake out for Forestview, so my recommendations are following the middle school.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:37 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
Quote:
My hunting isn't limited in the least. I am willing to go anywhere that will get me about a 30 minute drive to North Tryon Street as long as I can find a comparable school system to what we have now.

What/where is Ani? I am not familiar with this and Google is not helping.
Barking was just referring to the "nickname" for my username, lol.

I am located inside 51, off Carmel Road.

If you can find something in your price range, you won't do better with a commute or schools, in my opinion.

Of course, there are caveats. These are not new neighborhoods. To me, that is a plus - landscaping, no construction going on, well built homes, large lots, good schools, greenway (and private schools nearby, as well). But to anyone wanting a new home and a community pool, buying in this area of Charlotte could be a negative.

It was the only area of Charlotte I wanted to live in so it works for me - nearby amenities, quiet neighborhood, well-built home, greenway access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or