U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:17 AM

810 posts, read 1,127,951 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Mooresville and really love it here but she just got a job uptown and I will begin working uptown in May and we just cannot deal with the non sense of driving back and forth on 77 every day. We hate to leave Mooresville because the area is virtually crime free and the public schools are top notch but my god that commute is awful.

I did it some over the summer and it is ridiculous and who knows when the work to widen 77 will begin much less get finished. Even then, I don't think it will matter much since they want to put in those BS toll lanes which I don't think will help. I have seen them in a few different cities and they are mostly empty. Who wants to/can afford to pay $5-$10 one way to drive in them.

We are looking at the Highland Creek area as from what I understand, they have really good schools and the community seems very nice.

What other areas should we be looking at? Our price range is somewhere around $300K-$330K. Schools comparable to the Mooresville Graded School District is our first priority. We don't necessarily need to be in Charlotte either but would like to cut the commute to 30 minutes or less. We will both be on Tryon Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 06:45 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,227,839 times
Highland Creek is a good area though just be aware that HC is in both Meck and Cabarrus counties. The school pyramid for Cabarrus is Cox Mill ES,Harris Road Middle and Cox Mill HS. If you live on the Meck side the ES is Highland Creek which I have only heard wonderful things. The middle School is Ridge and I've heard more bad things then good. They will be making some boundary changes on the Meck side within the next couple of years.

You can also look at Cannon Crossing,Skybrook (Cabarrus side),Winding Walk,Christenbury Mews which are all Cox Mill at this point. Cannon Crossing and Skybrook may switch to Odell ES but it's still a really good ES.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:04 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
My wife and I currently live in Mooresville and really love it here but she just got a job uptown and I will begin working uptown in May and we just cannot deal with the non sense of driving back and forth on 77 every day. We hate to leave Mooresville because the area is virtually crime free and the public schools are top notch but my god that commute is awful.

I did it some over the summer and it is ridiculous and who knows when the work to widen 77 will begin much less get finished. Even then, I don't think it will matter much since they want to put in those BS toll lanes which I don't think will help. I have seen them in a few different cities and they are mostly empty. Who wants to/can afford to pay $5-$10 one way to drive in them.

We are looking at the Highland Creek area as from what I understand, they have really good schools and the community seems very nice.

What other areas should we be looking at? Our price range is somewhere around $300K-$330K. Schools comparable to the Mooresville Graded School District is our first priority. We don't necessarily need to be in Charlotte either but would like to cut the commute to 30 minutes or less. We will both be on Tryon Street.
I would suggest you look at Baxter or The Reserve in Fort Mill. The commute up I77 from South Carolina is nothing like the commute down I77 from Mooresville.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 AM

21,996 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:

You could also look in eastern Gaston. Aim for Cramerton Middle School which then feeds Stuart Cramer HS. That would include Cramerton, part of Belmont & a piece of Mount Holly.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM

249 posts, read 371,158 times
You are really asking for nasty traffic if you decide to go into highland creek. Harris road and Poplar Tent are miserable in the afternoons. Hopefully when 485 is finished, it will take some pressure off. But I would not consider that neighborhood if you are concerned about traffic.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown28031 View Post
You are really asking for nasty traffic if you decide to go into highland creek. Harris road and Poplar Tent are miserable in the afternoons. Hopefully when 485 is finished, it will take some pressure off. But I would not consider that neighborhood if you are concerned about traffic.

How nasty? My current boss says it only takes them about 30 minutes to get uptown. It has to be better then the hour and a half it takes to travel the 24 miles to back and forth to my house in Mooresville.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown28031 View Post
I am confused as to why someone living in Highland Creek would have to use Poplar Tent Rd?

Not to mention, when the last leg of 485 opens this next year, getting in and out of Highland Creek to other parts of the city will be easier than ever.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM

21,996 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
How nasty? My current boss says it only takes them about 30 minutes to get uptown. It has to be better then the hour and a half it takes to travel the 24 miles to back and forth to my house in Mooresville.
Thank you for posting an accurate time. I knew that it's over an hour during rush hour but was unsure of how much ove r an hour it is.

A couple of years ago, while at my oncologist's office, I was talking to a woman who lives in Mooresville. She asked me how long in had taken me to get to the office from Kings Mountain during rush hour. When I said an hour, she said that she would consider herself lucky if it took an hour. Subsequently, people have posted 30 minutes for a commute time from Mooresville.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thank you for posting an accurate time. I knew that it's over an hour during rush hour but was unsure of how much ove r an hour it is.

A couple of years ago, while at my oncologist's office, I was talking to a woman who lives in Mooresville. She asked me how long in had taken me to get to the office from Kings Mountain during rush hour. When I said an hour, she said that she would consider herself lucky if it took an hour. Subsequently, people have posted 30 minutes for a commute time from Mooresville.

I can easily get to Tryon Street in 30 minutes at 11am or 8pm but at 7am-9am or about 3:30pm-5:50pm, you can forget about it!

I think the evening rush hour is worse as it can take up to 30 minutes to even get onto I77.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM

314 posts, read 584,674 times
I was speaking to a client tonight and he commutes from just north of Highland Creek and it takes him 30-35 minutes if he leaves about 7 am
That seems to be the time most people tell me who live in the HC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or