U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:02 AM

97 posts, read 83,733 times

Advertisements

As the years pass it seams that NC is becoming more of a Liberal State. At the Moment it is Known as a Purple State. NC is Inching towards becoming a Blue State. Same-Sex Marriage Is now Legal, That Abortion law was just ruled unconstitutional. Its Only Natural to think that because of NC's more liberal Views that over time more Young people across the south and those looking for a New and refreshing home will be Looking at Nc and more Specifically Charlotte. NC Is one of the only states in the south with Same-Sex Marriage. So With Charlotte Being NC's Largest City i Can easily see LGBT people across the south/East-coast US Flocking to Charlotte in the Near Future. Do Ya'll Think that the City should start preparing now for the the possible influx of Young and LGBT Americans that will be setting their eyes on the City. The City should start transitioning from a Entertaining Older People, to Catering to the Young. In my opinion Charlotte should work on diversifying Job opportunities, Work on its Night Life and Social Atmosphere. Better Restaurants and eateries and making the City a more LGBT Desirable city. I Think that One of the biggest things Charlotte needs is its Own University System. UNCC is cool but Charlotte needs its Own Major Universities. I Wish NC would Invest in Bringing Universities to Charlotte. Also Charlotte could Use a Great Hospital, I don't mean just your run of the mill Hospital but A Research Hospital. And maybe a few Software Companies. How do you guys feel? In my Opinion if Charlotte wants to become the Next Great Southern Metro it needs to attract the Younger Demographic. what is ya'lls opinion?

IDK about this but Ive herd that some people would like there to be Bath-houses in Charlotte. Do yall think that the City would allow them?

Old 12-23-2014, 04:35 AM

371 posts, read 412,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
As the years pass it seams that NC is becoming more of a Liberal State. At the Moment it is Known as a Purple State. NC is Inching towards becoming a Blue State. Same-Sex Marriage Is now Legal, That Abortion law was just ruled unconstitutional. Its Only Natural to think that because of NC's more liberal Views that over time more Young people across the south and those looking for a New and refreshing home will be Looking at Nc and more Specifically Charlotte. NC Is one of the only states in the south with Same-Sex Marriage. So With Charlotte Being NC's Largest City i Can easily see LGBT people across the south/East-coast US Flocking to Charlotte in the Near Future. Do Ya'll Think that the City should start preparing now for the the possible influx of Young and LGBT Americans that will be setting their eyes on the City. The City should start transitioning from a Entertaining Older People, to Catering to the Young. In my opinion Charlotte should work on diversifying Job opportunities, Work on its Night Life and Social Atmosphere. Better Restaurants and eateries and making the City a more LGBT Desirable city. I Think that One of the biggest things Charlotte needs is its Own University System. UNCC is cool but Charlotte needs its Own Major Universities. I Wish NC would Invest in Bringing Universities to Charlotte. Also Charlotte could Use a Great Hospital, I don't mean just your run of the mill Hospital but A Research Hospital. And maybe a few Software Companies. How do you guys feel? In my Opinion if Charlotte wants to become the Next Great Southern Metro it needs to attract the Younger Demographic. what is ya'lls opinion?

IDK about this but Ive herd that some people would like there to be Bath-houses in Charlotte. Do yall think that the City would allow them?
While I agree it would be great to have a major research hospital, university and a better tech industry, these aren't exactly things that grow on trees. The city can't just "lure" a university here. They've done a great job getting satellite campuses for Wake and Northeastern for their MBA programs, because Charlotte is first and foremost a banking city.

And we are in heavy competition with ATL, Austin, Nashville and the RTP for any tech industry. Sometimes we snag one, but it's not easy.

I will say, in looking at the city during our last economic boom as compared to the one we are entering now, the city is in a far better position. It's more dynamic, more diverse socially and economically and it appears we are being as aggressive as ever. We seem to be in the running for every NA HQ move a large company announces due to our geographic proximity, talented workforce, access to a great airport and highways and I don't see that changing. The future is bright for Charlotte.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:24 AM

820 posts, read 1,535,064 times
For the record, Carolina's Healthcare System IS a teaching hospital AND a research hospital. No, I am in no way connected to the hospital, except my physician of record practices there.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,928,968 times
Quote:
In my opinion Charlotte should work on diversifying Job opportunities, Work on
its Night Life and Social Atmosphere. Better Restaurants and eateries and making
the City a more LGBT Desirable city. I Think that One of the biggest things
Charlotte needs is its Own University System. UNCC is cool but Charlotte needs
its Own Major Universities. I Wish NC would Invest in Bringing Universities to
Charlotte. Also Charlotte could Use a Great Hospital, I don't mean just your
run of the mill Hospital but A Research Hospital. And maybe a few Software
Companies. How do you guys feel? In my Opinion if Charlotte wants to become the
Next Great Southern Metro it needs to attract the Younger Demographic. what is
ya'lls opinion?
Your posts are spot on........ Agree with every suggestion. Charlotte is long way from this and has much work to do if it is to be all those things suggested in your posts.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,174,901 times
Quote:

Jesus is the answer, not a bath house. If NC ever gets close to imitating the fruity bowl of California pebbles, I'm out for good.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:50 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,695,431 times
Bath houses aren't necessary in an accepting society. You know, the one Jesus preached about.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,752,572 times
Quote:

Bath houses are so 70's. They are nothing more than a place for pervs to go strut their stuff and get a quickie. I hope Charlotte never gets (another) bath house.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:38 PM

45,108 posts, read 17,914,816 times
^They used to exist in Charlotte then too. There was a notorious Club South Bath House right in the heart of what is now high class Dilworth until some time in the 1980s. Use to be a drag bar there too called Oleens.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:53 PM

21,979 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Quote:

I think that you've put thought into this but you're off-base.

I'm a baby boomer. Remember us? Back in the late 60s/early 70s there was a place called Haight-Ashbury. It was the type of place you are now advocating for. Try googling that & then think about it.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,667,081 times
Quote:

I think your post is going against reality.

NC had its SSM ban tossed out by one judge, the same ban that was approved by NC voters 2 years ago by over 60% of the vote. Mississippi also had its ban struck down by a judge but is being appealed....that doesn't make Mississippi a liberal state. The abortion law, basically same thing, overturned by a court on appeal. You need to realize the difference between a court decision and a vote of the people. Had the voters approved SSM by a vote, that would be different but quite the opposite happened.

As far as NC becoming a liberal state, I will remind you that the NC has a republican governor, and the republicans have super majorities in both the Senate and House. The Democrats held their convention in charlotte in 2012, but still NC went red in 2012. Also NC voters sent K. Hagan away and voted in a republican just last month.

NC, especially at the state level, is solidly red, more so than it has ever been. The courts have upheld recently redrawn redistricting lines that will favor Republicans in this state for at least another decade anyways.

As far as cities themselves, they tend to be the more liberal areas of the state, but they cannot trump state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or