Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 18,436 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I want to relocate. At the basis of the matter, I really just want a fresh start somewhere new. I'm trying to remain open-minded throughout the whole process. I'm in my mid-twenties or maybe, moving into late-twenties is more accurate. I'm single and childless. I've been thinking I want to try living in a warmer climate. Charlotte is one place I'm considering. I figure I want to have an initial visit of at least a week to get a feel for the place. What all would you suggest I should do/consider during a visit there to help determine if it's a place that I would like to live?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:45 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,384 times
Drive around in different neighborhoods.
Go out to eat in different neighborhoods.
Go shopping in different neighborhoods.
Take in some nightlife in different neighborhoods.
Take a guided tour of some kind.
Download the Zillow app and look at home prices while you drive around.
Take a day trip to the mountains, vineyards, lakes, beach.

All this will help you decide on areas of town you might like, the kind of food and people we have, the costs of living here, etc. Once you think you might like to live in an area, park the car and spend all day there on foot.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Thanks for this. I like how you broke it down.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy13 View Post
Hi All,

I want to relocate. At the basis of the matter, I really just want a fresh start somewhere new. I'm trying to remain open-minded throughout the whole process. I'm in my mid-twenties or maybe, moving into late-twenties is more accurate. I'm single and childless. I've been thinking I want to try living in a warmer climate. Charlotte is one place I'm considering. I figure I want to have an initial visit of at least a week to get a feel for the place. What all would you suggest I should do/consider during a visit there to help determine if it's a place that I would like to live?

Thank you
I would suggest you plan to stay uptown and base day trips out of uptown in several different directions.

Do you have a nightly budget for a hotel rental? Perhaps I could suggest places for you to stay.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM

I would love to be able to stay in a decent hotel for as low as around $50 or less/night, but I'd say no more than $65-70/night. So, if you have any places to suggest, please do.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I would love to be able to stay in a decent hotel for as low as around $50 or less/night, but I'd say no more than $65-70/night. So, if you have any places to suggest, please do.
oh honey, ain't happening.

Can you at least go $99 a night?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
That's not going to get you into a central location. Some motels will give you a weekly rate.

What kind of work will you be looking for? That way you could focus on an area further out & drive into Charlotte.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That's not going to get you into a central location. Some motels will give you a weekly rate.

What kind of work will you be looking for? That way you could focus on an area further out & drive into Charlotte.
Extended Stays with weekly rates would be a much better bet, but you are right they are not centrally located. Still he could stay in one in Pineville so he'd be near the interstate for about $230. (last time I checked).

Old 12-29-2014, 12:34 PM

777 posts, read 2,568,384 times
Quote:
You can find a room in your budget at airbnb.com. There are some great locations listed.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
You can find a room in your budget at airbnb.com. There are some great locations listed.
Another great idea! I was also going to suggest VRBO - some of those weekly rentals might be around $250.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte