U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 AM

1,796 posts, read 3,819,134 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there is a TRULY open MRI anywhere in Charlotte? I have to have a lumbar scan and requested an open MRI as I am extremely claustrophobic. I can't stand anything right over or around my face. They sent me to Charlotte Osteopathic Hospital, but their "open" MRI is anything but open!! Yes, it is wide and the one side is open, but the top is still very close to your face/head and when they rolled me under I immediately panicked (I even had my eyes closed and head turned) and he had to pull me out. I was shaking so bad I didn't think I could stand up. Even now when I think about it I start to shake. The guy was very understanding and I felt really bad, but there was no way I could be in there for 45 minutes!! Couldn't even make 45 seconds. He told me that I could request some Atavan and try again, but a couple of pills are no way going to help me. The next step would be total sedation, but it would be nice to avoid that.

Anyway, I'm looking for somewhere that my head would be totally out of the unit. I'm OK with the rest being inside, but absolutely NOT my head or face....and possibly where I could have my arms out so that my DH can hold my hands. I know that's asking a lot, but surely I'm not the only one who is this bad.

Monday I have a nerve test, so maybe that will tell them what they need and I won't have to have the MRI. I had a hip replacement and the recovery has gone very poorly as I have numbness in my thigh and still can't walk without a walker almost 2 months later. They are trying to figure out what the problem is. They are pretty sure they know, but want to make sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a TRULY open MRI anywhere in Charlotte? I have to have a lumbar scan and requested an open MRI as I am extremely claustrophobic. I can't stand anything right over or around my face. They sent me to Charlotte Osteopathic Hospital, but their "open" MRI is anything but open!! Yes, it is wide and the one side is open, but the top is still very close to your face/head and when they rolled me under I immediately panicked (I even had my eyes closed and head turned) and he had to pull me out. I was shaking so bad I didn't think I could stand up. Even now when I think about it I start to shake. The guy was very understanding and I felt really bad, but there was no way I could be in there for 45 minutes!! Couldn't even make 45 seconds. He told me that I could request some Atavan and try again, but a couple of pills are no way going to help me. The next step would be total sedation, but it would be nice to avoid that.

Anyway, I'm looking for somewhere that my head would be totally out of the unit. I'm OK with the rest being inside, but absolutely NOT my head or face....and possibly where I could have my arms out so that my DH can hold my hands. I know that's asking a lot, but surely I'm not the only one who is this bad.

Monday I have a nerve test, so maybe that will tell them what they need and I won't have to have the MRI. I had a hip replacement and the recovery has gone very poorly as I have numbness in my thigh and still can't walk without a walker almost 2 months later. They are trying to figure out what the problem is. They are pretty sure they know, but want to make sure.
I am so sorry for what you are going through rothbear

I have heard for a while that the place to go for truly "open" MRI is somewhere down on Carowinds Blvd. Maybe you can give them a call and see if what they offer is better for you http://www.hospitalgood.com/Open_Mri_Of_Charlotte

I hope doctors get to the bottom of the problem and get you walking again quickly in 2015!

Old 12-27-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks loves. Unfortunately your link isn't working for me. I went to the main site but can't find anything about open MRI in Charlotte on it. Can you guide me a bit more?

Since I live in Sun City, Carowinds Blvd would be wonderful! We went the whole way up to almost center city for yesterdays disaster.

I hope that can get it fixed as well. They are pretty sure it's a femoral nerve neuropraxia (damage to a branch of the femoral nerve) but since I have had other back problems they want to make sure. I can understand that, but just don't know how I can get the MRI done. Hopefully the nerve test Monday points to that and maybe I can avoid the MRI.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks loves. Unfortunately your link isn't working for me. I went to the main site but can't find anything about open MRI in Charlotte on it. Can you guide me a bit more?

Since I live in Sun City, Carowinds Blvd would be wonderful! We went the whole way up to almost center city for yesterdays disaster.

I hope that can get it fixed as well. They are pretty sure it's a femoral nerve neuropraxia (damage to a branch of the femoral nerve) but since I have had other back problems they want to make sure. I can understand that, but just don't know how I can get the MRI done. Hopefully the nerve test Monday points to that and maybe I can avoid the MRI.
I think it's called Open MRI of Fort Mill....I'll google some more.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Don't know why that link isn't working now

Hope they are still in business - here is the contact info I found:
377 Carowinds Blvd
Fort Mill, SC,29708
803‑547‑1100

Old 12-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Try giving these folks a call too....

Novant Health Imaging Ballantyne

Old 12-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Try giving these folks a call too....

Novant Health Imaging Ballantyne

Unfortunately the Charlotte Osteopathic Hospital is also part of Novant, so they wouldn't have anything different that what I had yesterday. Thanks, anyway.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately the Charlotte Osteopathic Hospital is also part of Novant, so they wouldn't have anything different that what I had yesterday. Thanks, anyway.
Are you sure? Different locations might have different equipment - worth a call anyway

Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 AM

27 posts, read 41,313 times
Did you mean Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital? I just had a procedure done there this past Monday. While there I saw a flyer/sign for a Hitachi Open MRI machine. The picture on the flyer/sign, if correct, looked pretty open to me.

Call one of the OrthoCarolina offices listed here: Office Locations, Specialty Centers, Therapy Locations | OrthoCarolina and ask them if they have an open mri. The easiest locations for you to get to from Sun City would be Ballantyne, Matthews, and Monroe (via backroads).

Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 AM

820 posts, read 1,528,694 times
I did not know I was claustrophobic until a few years ago when I was to undergo a closed MRI at Presbyterian and after the first minute, I was out - one and done. Tech said it's not unusual for men to have the reaction - more so than women. She recommended having the doc prescribe a "relaxaer" i.e., valium or similar, taken one hour before the MRI and if that won't work a mild sedative whereby you can sleep through it. Yeah, right!

Your physician should or his office staff should be able to guide you. Carolina's Healthcare (CMC) has an open MRI. Been there done that and I recall it's the MRI Center at CHC.

IF and only if you can't lie down because of your issue (Because of extreme pain, I could not lie down for the prone MRI) the Charlotte Spine Center has the only MRI equipment where you can get the MRI either sitting or standing. My issue was in my 7th vertebra and a pressing nerve, which really showed up on the MRI (I sat for it). It took six days to get on the schedule, but was worth the wait to get results and a defined diagnosis.

Good luck and there will be few readers off this site who understand your pain because we've been there and it's not a picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or