Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times

Advertisements

East side is not south Central LA (which I have been to in the 1990s), or even West Gastonia for that matter - but it is a scruffier area of the city than it once was. And you can see that it the dilapidation of the buildings, and streets that are due for resurfacing.

I'll admit the new police station on Central is a lot more impressive than the space they were renting in the old Wal*Mart shopping center. There are positive changes taking place on the east side - but it doesn't happen all at once, and there are areas that slide while others recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
East side is not south Central LA (which I have been to in the 1990s), or even West Gastonia for that matter - but it is a scruffier area of the city than it once was. And you can see that it the dilapidation of the buildings, and streets that are due for resurfacing.

I'll admit the new police station on Central is a lot more impressive than the space they were renting in the old Wal*Mart shopping center. There are positive changes taking place on the east side - but it doesn't happen all at once, and there are areas that slide while others recover.
Agreed. And your prior point was an excellent one..."It's a straight commute into uptown on Central or Albemarle. Busses can get crowded but they run regularly."

Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,937 times
Had a couple of friends live on the east side and never had any issues. They were off Margaret Wallace in newer homes. Also had a friend live off farm pond and the neighborhood behind his was pretty rough but him and his wife never had any real issues as far as I know. Now I did have a friend live off Idlewild near the Kia dealership near independence and he has some real issues his car broken into multiple times and police always in the neighborhood. If you chose wisely on the east side you can get a good value with a a pretty good commute into uptown but you need to be selective.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:46 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
I don't care how long you've lived in Cornelius or Huntersville and how you once lived on the east side before you moved . Unless you spend time there you don't know it. It's that simple, especially if you moved away ten years ago and haven't been there since. Makes sense, right? No? Sorry.

As for someone having been in the forum for years and having dispensed good information all that time: well guess what? That person just made his/her first first inaccurate comment. Or maybe this is the first time someone has called him/her on it.

Tone my rhetoric down? Why? A bunch of negative comments about an area of Charlotte about which commentators know almost nothing is bad for business. It's bad for Charlotte's business. Straight and simple. This forum was designed to boost Charlotte, not tear it down. When someone comes along and calls people on their, um, uninformed opinion, some people are offended because it shakes their self-identity as know-it-alls. Tough. Nobody corrects those who make wild speculations and overly effusive comments about uptown because it seems as though there's a tacit rule not to badmouth uptown OR the other upscale neighborhoods.

And to the person who sent an anonymous PM: I didn't call anyone a name. I called the comments racist and xenophobic. There's a difference.

And guess what, folks? Ballantyne and Steele Creek have crime problems. Read the news. Maybe we can start pushing an anti Ballantyne and Steel Creek bandwagon. Let's see how well that goes over.

All I'm asking for is for people to express informed opinions. Go ahead to the exurbs of Cornelius, Huntersville, Ballantyne, Mount Holly, Gastonia etc.. Talk about YOUR neighborhoods. Don't give inaccurate information about a neighborhood about which you have scant firsthand information.

"And you can see that it the dilapidation of the buildings, and streets that are due for resurfacing...."

In Wilora Lake? Where, dude? Windsor Park and Wilora got new paved roads this year. Maybe you'll have more time to get out during the next few months, Sean. You'll love it. Where else might there be dilapidated buildings? I already mentioned the west side of Central near Burner and Rosehaven. That's a pretty small area (and not near Wilora or the Windsor park area near Wilora, and it is well-cut off from Windsor Park).

The new police station on Wendover was conveniently overlooked as well as the many great restaurants the length of Central Avenue. Oh wait. It's not Anglo. It might not have appeal. Not even the French restaurants. They're not Anglo.

And no, the area isn't my home. I own tracts of property there. I'm invested in the area, both in time and money, and my brother lives in the area.

If you want to take pot shots that nobody will call you on, try Grier Heights. That's making a slow comeback, so you might have a chance before somebody takes pot shots back.

It's simple: engage brain, evaluate opinion it for truth, then open mouth. It's good for your reputation.

Pumbaa, don't even bother. You're on my ignore list.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
And you don't drive through there any more, so you don't really know much about it, .....
You assume too much.

Actually I had a reason to drive down Amity Place a couple of months ago. One of my good friends from the 80s used to live on Eaglecrest so I turned down that street too. I had not been in that neighborhood in a good 20 years. He passed away with an illness in 1990. He would be appalled at the state of his former house now.

I was absolutely shocked at how much that area had devolved towards ruin. It was once a nice area of mid-century ranches, split levels & two story transitionals. Very nice. What I saw a couple of months ago was nothing like that. Many houses were unkept and falling apart, some were painted funky colors some even with two toned shutters, yards full of weeks and junk, no grass, etc. It was quite a change from the neat and well maintained place of the 1980s.

It disappointing to see such a lack of pride in one's neighborhood as I saw over there. There is a reason they had to tear down Eastland and this is it. It's the demographics that surround it now. The results speak for themselves.

I stand by what I said. I would not recommend this area as a place to move to.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 12-29-2014 at 02:17 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 04:39 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
"...Actually I had a reason to drive down Amity Place a couple of months ago..."

That's a mile away from Wilora Lake.There are no McMansions , but there are no boarded up homes with "funky colors and two-toned shutters" either. But I'm sure your map led you to a conclusion about the crime.

"...I stand by what I said..."

Your word is not to be trusted. I'm not saying that you're a desperate liar, but I do believe that you have your facts confused.

Now evangelize about Farm Pond area. Let's see how you do commenting about the crime.

Folks, this is the problem with online personalities that dominate forums. They contribute so much blather that after awhile, they begin to believe what they say. Unfortunately, so do others.

Last edited by LarryBGood; 12-29-2014 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:11 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
I stand by my comments as a lifelong native to Charlotte and being familiar with the area. If you expect any type of housing appreciation, which is usually a goal in home purchase, then do not buy in these areas.

There are some improvements and strides being made, but the negatives FAR outweigh those.

Larry would have everyone think that it is a racial issue, but when it comes to ones finances and possibly losing money, there is only one color involved. If you want to bleed red ink in equity by all means move to the area. Otherwise it is more of a long term wait and see if it will ever recover.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,937 times
That is fine you have me ignored I actually said that the area other than 1 spot a friend lived in is not as bad as people make it. You talk about not tearing down Charlotte but building it yet you go an tear down everything asked about UCity. Pot meet Kettle, I understand you have a vested interest in this area, but when someone asks a question and they get an overwhelming answer to the question it usually isn't too far from the truth.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:24 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
It's a pretty rough area. It's cheap as far as pricing goes. I wouldn't really recommend it if you can afford something better. There are much better looking and safer areas of the city.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:06 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
... Your word is not to be trusted. ......
  • I've answered the OP's question by giving my opinion of the area.
  • You have answered the OP's question by giving your opinions of the other forumers.

Big difference. Your opinion of me is irrelevant. The OP can decide which answer is more relevant to their needs. But if I was in their shoes I know which warnings I'd be paying attention to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte