U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 05:07 PM

44,344 posts, read 17,716,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
.... As far as violence, alcohol, and night clubs go, there will always be violence at kiddie nightclubs--- no matter where they're located--- because of the prevailing gun culture. And referring to a seven year-old news article is stretching it. .....
Given the drinking age being 21 and most night clubs opening as private clubs this gun violence isn't being caused by kiddies. And there are night clubs all over Charlotte where there has never been a gun pulled or the someone killed. That is because the demographic is different and there is no "gun culture". Though I do agree this culture does exist where in the areas we are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 03:25 AM

645 posts, read 755,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Did you eat there much buddy?

Best to invest elsewhere in real estate, unless one is keen on losing investment $$.
No, but it was very popular among UNCC rent-a-cops.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Given the drinking age being 21 and most night clubs opening as private clubs this gun violence isn't being caused by kiddies. And there are night clubs all over Charlotte where there has never been a gun pulled or the someone killed. That is because the demographic is different and there is no "gun culture". Though I do agree this culture does exist where in the areas we are talking about.
And where is there a night club within a mile of Wilora Lake? The Palomino was torn down in the '90's, and that was about four miles down Albemarle. There was one on Harris across the street from where the new Super Wal-Mart is going up, but that closed down a good while ago.

No gun culture among youth?

Old 12-31-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Good idea. First example I thought of, The Farm Pond Shopping Center. It's also an anchor in one of the OPs target areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2019...1Ase2mknGQ!2e0

When this center was first built in the 1970s it was anchored by a very nice Kroger Save On, a Movie Theater, and I believe a TGI Friday's (though I could be wrong about the specific chain of this genre). As you can see, closed buildings. The theater is gone. They got a bad reputation from people shooting guns at the screen during the night when they went to $1 movies. The BiLo has had some investment but they have been closing stores in the area. A similar Bilo not far away on Independence is closed. IMO, this won't be one that Publix will pick up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2028...p3qpuN2Lsg!2e0

As we can see here, the landscaping is going to hell, you can't see the buildings from the street from the overgrown trees, and the dunning leasing sign that has been there so long it's falling apart. It's not exactly what you want to see if you were going to invest in a home in the very fast growing Charlotte metro.

There are examples like this all over that area. I agree with you that it's not as bad as N. Tryon, but at one time it too was considered a nice middle class area back in the days when the Tryon & North Park Malls were new and the area was a destination rather than a place to avoid. At one time, you had restaurants like 300 East at Eastway & Plaza (back when it was called the White Horse). You won't find that there now.

Unfortunately I see all signs that the OP's target area is headed to exactly the same destination. It's the demographics.
The first Google map was taken while U-Haul was BEING BUILT. That was about 20 years ago!

The second is a photo of Bi-Lo. It's still a thriving store!

Old 12-31-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Good idea. First example I thought of, The Farm Pond Shopping Center. It's also an anchor in one of the OPs target areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2019...1Ase2mknGQ!2e0

When this center was first built in the 1970s it was anchored by a very nice Kroger Save On, a Movie Theater, and I believe a TGI Friday's (though I could be wrong about the specific chain of this genre). As you can see, closed buildings. The theater is gone. They got a bad reputation from people shooting guns at the screen during the night when they went to $1 movies. The BiLo has had some investment but they have been closing stores in the area. A similar Bilo not far away on Independence is closed. IMO, this won't be one that Publix will pick up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2028...p3qpuN2Lsg!2e0

As we can see here, the landscaping is going to hell, you can't see the buildings from the street from the overgrown trees, and the dunning leasing sign that has been there so long it's falling apart. It's not exactly what you want to see if you were going to invest in a home in the very fast growing Charlotte metro.

There are examples like this all over that area. I agree with you that it's not as bad as N. Tryon, but at one time it too was considered a nice middle class area back in the days when the Tryon & North Park Malls were new and the area was a destination rather than a place to avoid. At one time, you had restaurants like 300 East at Eastway & Plaza (back when it was called the White Horse). You won't find that there now.

Unfortunately I see all signs that the OP's target area is headed to exactly the same destination. It's the demographics.
The first link is to a photo of U-Haul before it moved into that building 20+ years ago. If I post photos of that building and its thriving business operation, will you promise to stop buggering up the forum with your inane lies and old street view photos?

The second is of Bi-Lo for sure, but it was taken before the sidewalks were widened. I don't understand why you would find one shrub offensive and why would base an opinion upon a PHOTO of one shrub.

You DO understand that Google Street View is taken by a robot with a super wide angle lens, right? You DO understand that wide angle lenses distort perspective, right? That photo of Bi-lo is quite old. The trees are quite a bit larger.

There has never been a TGIFriday's. That was a Darryl's. That was taken down over fifteen years ago (perhaps twenty). It left town the same time that Annabel's left Eastland Mall. There is now a pretty fancy ABC store where Darryl's was. (OMG! Moral decay! Lions and Tigers Oh My!).

Your Koger Sav-on never existed anywhere near there during the past thirty years, unless you are referring to another store across the street where Drug Emporium gave way to something else.

The Regency Theater was closed twenty years ago and was turned into some sort of family arcade. There were no shootings there. They ran B-list and second-run movies there. The dollar movie was a bad business model. That theater is now an Aldi's. I lived in the area before I built on a wooded tract in Union County, back when it was a rural area. I know this area well. VERY well. I'm not narrating from distant memory. I drove through there today. I wanted to be sure of my position, and I wanted to be sure that I haven't missed something. (You see, when one owns investment property, it is very important to stay abreast of developments in an area. You, Waldo, have no personal interest in the area, so you have no cause to stay abreast of business developments. I do).

If your memory is so hazy, why do you even attempt to discuss this area?

I don't understand why you refer to locations on Independence Boulevard in this discussion?! Yes, the Bi-Lo in that area closed and it has been turned into a really good International Market called Super G. If you've never lived or traveled outside of the U.S. for long, you'd have no appreciation for this store, so don't get started on that. Non-Anglos shop there. I'm non-Anglo, and I drive all the way from deep in Union county just to shop there. I seriously doubt that you'd have any appreciation for what is to be found there.

If you want to discuss Independence and how horrible it looks, you might want to mention the overpasses underway at Sharon Amity, Conference and Idlewild, as well as the widening. Surely, that must be upsetting to you.

And besides, why are you using Albemarle Road and independence Boulevard to prove a point about Wilora Lake? The two are not near each other. I'm not questioning your state of mind, but I do think that you are more than a little misdirected. Your using Google Streetview photo of a bush to judge an area is akin to someone using the same medium to discuss genetic mutations based upon photos of ugly children in YOUR neighborhood who were caught in the distortion of the robot's wide angle lens. That wouldn't be fair or nice, would it? (Of course, I don't know exactly where you live, but such a judgment would be equally unfair).

It does no one any good to give personal opinions of an area when one hasn't even been there in years and cannot remember what is actually there. It is irresponsible.

What is your frequent reference to demographics about, Waldo? It sounds like a personal issue that really has no place in the forum. It reminds me of the long-running thread about the horrors of minorities and immigrants moving to Charlotte. Moderators agreed with me when I pointed out that the content was highly racist.

I said that I have property near Wilora Lake. I said that I own it for investment purposes. All homes are money-makers. (I sold one eight months ago, and i am buying at least one more very soon). I never advised anyone to make the same investments (nor would I ever) because I believe that anyone who is not a real estate broker should give investment advice in a public forum. For me, it's a matter of ethics. It's not my place. When one makes value judgments based upon faulty information, he does a disservice to all. I'm not so desperate to win an argument or so needful of authority that I'd stoop to the level that you have, Waldo.

I have been fortunate in life. I attended good schools and graduated from an excellent northeastern college. I moved to Charlotte back when Freedom Drive was just a little scary. I lived there and worked from the garage until I could move to a better area for my wife and kids (who came along quite a bit later). My business went from a one-man operation to a two-man plumbing company to a a hydraulics engineering firm. We've been involved in projects in many projects on the east coast, the Middle East, the near East, Singapore and a few other countries.

I have a pretty good perspective of life; I've learned to observe before making conclusions. Maybe it's my background in sciences that guides me in a way, but I think that when it comes to people and where and how they live, it's my experience with people that keeps my compass pointed in the right direction. I've learned not to express uninformed opinions. Sometimes it sounds (and IS) wiser to just say, "I don't know."

Last edited by LarryBGood; 12-31-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
The first Google map was taken while U-Haul was BEING BUILT. That was about 20 years ago!
LOL!!!!

Google didn't exist 20 years ago so they could not have taken that photo then. Maybe you are not familiar with how Google gathers streetview images. (which they have only been doing for little more than 5 years)

Old 12-31-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
I have a feeling that you ARE an expert about bars.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
LOL!!!!

Google didn't exist 20 years ago so they could not have taken that photo then. Maybe you are not familiar with how Google gathers streetview images. (which they have only been doing for little more than 5 years)
Officially, ten years ago. It started with a Google-sponsored Stanford University project before 2000. That must be where the photo originated. I PROMISE you that that U-Haul business has been there since the mid-to-late nineties, and that picture predates U-Haul's occupation of that building. Infact, there's a busy oil-change business in front of it, in the spot from where that photo was taken.

You have a compulsive need to win at all costs. Your opinion is less than nothing to me and isn't worth arguing against.

This is going nowhere, so let's drop it. If I run into you at one of those many bars where there are no guns, I'll buy you a drink.

Or should I just give you the money? I want to be politically correct. I'm not sure what bar girls want these days.

Last edited by LarryBGood; 12-31-2014 at 05:57 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 07:19 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Larry, here is the Facebook page for the "new" Palomino Club talking about how they just had their grand opening, etc. Its at 8801 Harris, right at the intersection with Albemarle (a specific intersection asked about by OP) and was the site of one of the shootings I linked to earlier, at the time called Club Backstage. But hopefully if it is a country club this time that might mean less violence.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/The-Pal...26418644077290

You've also made several references to commercial buildings being closed for years. If this was such a thriving area, why does that seem so common? There has been some new businesses go in, including the Walmart you mentioned, QuikTrip, a dialysis center to name a few as well as I believe the Sav-a-Lot shopping center across from Bi-Lo got a recent facelift.

But really to repeat some of the initial comments in the thread before you flipped out, while it's not the worst area, there are probably better choices depending on OP's situation. Although I see OP hasn't returned since starting the thread...

Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
.... I PROMISE you that that U-Haul business has been there since the mid-to-late nineties, and that picture predates U-Haul's occupation of that building. ......
I know it has been. Your problem is that you have identified the wrong building as U-Haul.

See this,

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2020...NCF9Z6fkJw!2e0

Then turn the page 180 degrees. That is the U-Haul building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2022...PiIPBpbzHA!2e0

The building you incorrectly identified as U-Haul isn't just being built. That is a recent picture and it's long since been closed. The plywood used to board up the garage entrance (I think this was a tire center) is water logged and the old leasing sign is a dead give away of a building in decline.

You either made a mistake, or you are trying to pull the rope a dope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or