U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 AM

17 posts, read 107,178 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Waxhaw and love both Lawson and Millbridge. The amenities and neighbors are great for kids our age (10 and 8). At this point the driver is how to stay in Cuthberston. I know there's been a lot of posts on the redistricting situation. Now that it's done can anyone share what the future may look like? Enrollment forecast on the UCPS site look within caps for Cuthberston through 2020. Does anyone know what would prompt another redistricting? And any opinions if Lawson would be less likely (compared to Millbridge) to get moved out, should it happen again? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:06 AM

46 posts, read 126,433 times
I think Lawson is much less likely to be moved out of Cuthbertson as it is across the street/next door to the Middle and High Schools. Millbridge was already split and then joined back together in the last go round.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:10 AM

527 posts, read 636,581 times
I don't think Lawson would ever be moved out of the Cuthbtertson cluster, unless it is a temporary overcrowding situation and either the middle or high school have to be capped, and then it would only be for new incoming students for a short period of time.

I wouldn't feel as comfortable saying the same for Millbridge. The last round of redistricting could have been totally avoided, or at least minimized, if Millbridge would have been moved to the Parkwood cluster at that time but Yercheck and other BOE members had ulterior motives for pushing students East. The new board won't be so easily duped into a similar situation.

Just my opinion but I'd pick the neighborhood you like the best and not worry about the schools. When Cuthbertson was opened they pulled some high performing students out of Parkwood that hurt the overall school ratings. However, now that those neighborhoods have been sent back to Parkwood, it will once again be an award winning school.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks... that's exactly the type of information a newcomer doesn't know about. We visited the campus of Cuthbertson yesterday, and it's very nice - as are most areas in Waxhaw and surrounding areas! I know the building doesn't make it successful, but it's such a refreshing change!

Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM

343 posts, read 486,315 times
Millbridge is an amazing place to live. We enjoyed our 2+ years living there. A great community with the best amenities!

Old 01-01-2015, 03:42 PM

97 posts, read 98,246 times
UC will always redistrict nowhere can assume it won't happen to them. It's very unstable so UC property values will never rise.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM

136 posts, read 83,859 times
Concerning Lawson, i have heard the new section that they are currently building in, those houses will be slated to "temporarily" go to Waxhaw ES, due to the fact that Newtown ES has been capped

Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutark Evansby View Post
Concerning Lawson, i have heard the new section that they are currently building in, those houses will be slated to "temporarily" go to Waxhaw ES, due to the fact that Newtown ES has been capped
That's not just a rumor:

Reassignment Information

Old 01-03-2015, 04:52 PM

Does this mean that the new phase of Lawson will go to Waxhaw ES (temporarily) but still go to Cuthbertson? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM

136 posts, read 83,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon2853 View Post
Does this mean that the new phase of Lawson will go to Waxhaw ES (temporarily) but still go to Cuthbertson? Thanks.
will go to Waxhaw ES, Cuth MS & HS....at least until the next redistricting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or