U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 05:17 PM

145 posts, read 259,340 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My family is considering a move to the Charlotte area this summer. We currently reside in an Atlanta suburb. We rarely go into Atlanta because it is about 30 plus minutes in heavy traffic on any given day. There is a lot of crime in Atlanta and is not a walkable city at all. Once you have been to the Coke Museum and the Georgia Aquarium (spending a fortune for a family of 5) you have seen it all. There aren't many family friendly areas except The Varsity for hot dogs and Ikea.
Here's what we are looking for:
1. A family friendly city - with things our young teens would enjoy.
2. A sense of community - be it in Charlotte or a SC side suburb (Fort Mill, Tega Cay)
3. Walkable, safe areas for us to actually enjoy the city.
4. Easy to get to without horrible commutes just to get to shopping or events in the city.
Does Charlotte offer any of these things we are missing in Atlanta? Is it another Atlanta?
I have tried to do some research but one really needs opinions from residents. We would like to live on the SC side of Charlotte - perhaps Fort Mill area so our daughter can get in-state tuition for college. Would love to hear from those living in Charlotte area. Fort Mill area opinions welcome too.
Thanks!! Much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,847,863 times
The commutes aren't nearly as bad as Atlanta since the Charlotte metro is a little less than half the size of Atlanta but there's definitely going to be traffic congestion living in Ft. Mill and trying to get into Uptown during rush hour since the Charlotte interstates have not yet been expanded to keep up with growth. Its layout is very similar to Atlanta, very sprawled out and much of the city is not very walkable except Uptown and some of the older neighborhoods that are close to it. It's really like a smaller version of Atlanta.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM

381 posts, read 409,846 times
charlotte is a mini atlanta...no difference except quantity of people...charlotte is headed in the same direction as atlanta IMO...

Old 12-30-2014, 07:51 AM

5,863 posts, read 7,685,299 times
Traffic can be heavy but it is not nearly as bad as Atlanta IMO...rush hour is shorter and there usually isn't much traffic outside of normal rush hour.

Uptown is walkable, but that is partially because it's on the small side, but there are things to do: museums, Discovery Place (w/IMAX), concerts, minor league baseball, etc. There are also a few other walkable areas closer to the city.

Baxter Village is probably the only walkable community in Fort Mill, but it can be pricey (what's your budget?) and the lots are small. Commuting to uptown from there isn't the greatest (although you didn't really say if you would need to commute) but certainly better than Atlanta as well as some of the other areas around Charlotte.

They were trying to build something similar in Rock Hill called Riverwalk but not sure how much is there so far. That also puts you a little further from Charlotte.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:30 AM

145 posts, read 259,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Traffic can be heavy but it is not nearly as bad as Atlanta IMO...rush hour is shorter and there usually isn't much traffic outside of normal rush hour.

Uptown is walkable, but that is partially because it's on the small side, but there are things to do: museums, Discovery Place (w/IMAX), concerts, minor league baseball, etc. There are also a few other walkable areas closer to the city.

Baxter Village is probably the only walkable community in Fort Mill, but it can be pricey (what's your budget?) and the lots are small. Commuting to uptown from there isn't the greatest (although you didn't really say if you would need to commute) but certainly better than Atlanta as well as some of the other areas around Charlotte.

They were trying to build something similar in Rock Hill called Riverwalk but not sure how much is there so far. That also puts you a little further from Charlotte.

Thanks! I figured Charlotte was similar to Atlanta but with a little less crime. There is really only one area of Atlanta I would walk around and that is the Atlantic Station shopping/restaurant area. It's not a big area.
I would like to know more about Fort Mill. The schools look good in that area. Schools are a huge factor when choosing a community as we will still have 2 in public school and one headed to college when we move this summer. Do you have any knowledge of the Fort Mill area?
We also looked at Greenville last weekend. The city itself is fantastic but the suburbs are awful. We are used to the burbs around Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas/Fort Worth. There are things to do. Greenville burbs are rundown and have no shopping or restaurant areas. It was disheartening.
We need a nice community where we feel safe, we feel there are plenty of things to do. and there are "good" people for our teens to associate with. I know that's asking a lot but I know there are communities like that out there...we live in one now. But we need to move for work and daughter's in-state tuition .
I appreciate your opinion!!

Old 12-31-2014, 06:41 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,677,407 times
Is your daughter going to college in NC or SC?

Old 12-31-2014, 07:26 AM

5,863 posts, read 7,685,299 times
I don't know about Fort Mill schools specifically just that they are usually talked of highly on here. I believe the official town of Fort Mill is only in York County, but there are some areas in Lancaster County with a Fort Mill address although I haven't really heard anything bad about those schools either.

I've spent some time in the Greenville/Spartanburg area for work and the Mauldin/Simpsonville/Greer areas always seemed decent to me. Might be worth starting a thread on the Greenville board if you're considering there as well.

So sounds like commuting to work is not really an issue if both Charlotte and Greenville are possibilities?

Old 01-06-2015, 07:26 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,309,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2My3 View Post
Thanks! I figured Charlotte was similar to Atlanta but with a little less crime. There is really only one area of Atlanta I would walk around and that is the Atlantic Station shopping/restaurant area. It's not a big area.
I would like to know more about Fort Mill. The schools look good in that area. Schools are a huge factor when choosing a community as we will still have 2 in public school and one headed to college when we move this summer. Do you have any knowledge of the Fort Mill area?
We also looked at Greenville last weekend. The city itself is fantastic but the suburbs are awful. We are used to the burbs around Atlanta, Memphis, Dallas/Fort Worth. There are things to do. Greenville burbs are rundown and have no shopping or restaurant areas. It was disheartening.
We need a nice community where we feel safe, we feel there are plenty of things to do. and there are "good" people for our teens to associate with. I know that's asking a lot but I know there are communities like that out there...we live in one now. But we need to move for work and daughter's in-state tuition .
I appreciate your opinion!!
You will be suprised by the crime in Charlotte. It's less than Atlanta, but more than you think.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:05 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,224,478 times
I don't mean to sound brutal but, honestly, if the only area you feel able to walk around in Atlanta is the Atlantic Station complex, you are missing out on a lot & really limiting yourself in your options perhap out of fear & a lack of being aware of or exposed to viable options that are available.
As such, I'd hazzard a guess that you & your family would have a "fear" option facing you in ANY major metro.
I lived in the City of Atlanta itself for over 30 years and can't imagine leading a life there where I was afraid to walk & enjoy the out doors in the many beautiful & walkable intown neighborhoods, such as Morningside, Midtown, Virginia Highland, Grant Park, etc. which thankfully also have real sidewalks & are full of neighborhood oriented/family friendly recreational/shopping/dining/cultural options.
If you spent time in those areas, you would notice the prevalence of baby strollers & children everywhere due to a popular & renewed focus on intown living due to the high quality of life found there.
For what it's worth, in my 30 plus years of living in the COA, I was never mugged, never robbed & did not feel that I had to live in fear.
Charlotte offers the same type of high quality intown living neighborhoods as Atlanta but, if you were in Charlotte, I'm afraid that you would transfer your fears there & be hesitant to enjoy the lovely & walkable Myers Park area as an example of the mindset you are projecting.
On another thought, if you liked the center of Greenville when you visited there but did not like the suburbs around the city, why not consider living in the city center there? Why close off your options?
Or perhaps a small town is really what you should consider.
To each their own I guess & good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or