Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times

Advertisements

Last time TWC sent me a letter telling me how lucky I was to only have to pay $200.00 per month for their BASIC package I called their "retention department" and they went through the many ways I could reduce my bill by CUTTING my internet or MODIFYING my phone service. That's when I went to satellite service.

Too funny when I went to the TWC office to turn in my equipment they were shocked and told me all I had to do was call the retention department to get my payment lowered.

I guess you have to also have nothing better to do than call TWC waste time on hold, argue with whoever answers the call and repeat until you get the desired results. I have neither the time or patients for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 12:34 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Last time TWC sent me a letter telling me how lucky I was to only have to pay $200.00 per month for their BASIC package I called their "retention department" and they went through the many ways I could reduce my bill by CUTTING my internet or MODIFYING my phone service. That's when I went to satellite service.

Too funny when I went to the TWC office to turn in my equipment they were shocked and told me all I had to do was call the retention department to get my payment lowered.

I guess you have to also have nothing better to do than call TWC waste time on hold, argue with whoever answers the call and repeat until you get the desired results. I have neither the time or patients for that.
It's a call I make once every 3-6 months. Really not a big deal.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
Cut the cord in June. Antenna in the attic, Netflix and a PC hooked to TV that acts as my DVR. Thought I would miss sports more than I actually do. Catch what I can on the broadcast channels has been fine. Also added an Apple TV and have had Amazon prime for years as the free shipping pays for itself so the free streaming is just a bonus. Also find myself listening to music a lot more like I did years ago. It was an adjustment but after a while all was good.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It's a call I make once every 3-6 months. Really not a big deal.
LOL........ good for you.

Some people like to solve problems and others kick the can down the road.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:16 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
Cut the cord in June. Antenna in the attic, Netflix and a PC hooked to TV that acts as my DVR. Thought I would miss sports more than I actually do. Catch what I can on the broadcast channels has been fine. Also added an Apple TV and have had Amazon prime for years as the free shipping pays for itself so the free streaming is just a bonus. Also find myself listening to music a lot more like I did years ago. It was an adjustment but after a while all was good.
I've heard this said by many who cut the cord who once were addicted to sports. After a couple of weeks, they didn't miss it at all.

(same sort of setup here too)

Old 01-01-2015, 04:24 PM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I've heard this said by many who cut the cord who once were addicted to sports. After a couple of weeks, they didn't miss it at all.

(same sort of setup here too)
It's like the football games tonight - would I like to watch them, sure, but not going to get upset that I am missing them. Have to be up early for work tomorrow so I would have only watched at most the first half of the second game.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
LOL........ good for you.

Some people like to solve problems and others kick the can down the road.
There is no kicking the can down the road. I enjoy cable and find value in it because there are programs that I can't get without. Not sure if People understand the other side.... Along with those programs I get a better deal than most who don't call because I haggle every so often..... It works for me which is all that matters, right!? Whatever works for you is fine!

I'll say it again...different strokes..

Old 01-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
It's like the football games tonight - would I like to watch them, sure, but not going to get upset that I am missing them. Have to be up early for work tomorrow so I would have only watched at most the first half of the second game.
I'm sure there are things in life that you really enjoy and pay for because you feel they are worth it.

Who knows? maybe you buy expensive watches, or you spend your money on expensive firearms??? Or you endulge in fast food or spend money on restaurants.....To me, that would be a total waste of money...

(of course I have no idea what you value, but you get my point ....)

Old 01-01-2015, 06:48 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
There is no kicking the can down the road. I enjoy cable and find value in it because there are programs that I can't get without. Not sure if People understand the other side.... Along with those programs I get a better deal than most who don't call because I haggle every so often..... It works for me which is all that matters, right!? Whatever works for you is fine!

I'll say it again...different strokes..

I do the same thing with Direct TV. I call two to three times a year and haggle my bill and often threaten to cancel. I usually get about $40 a month knocked off my bill and some free movie channels.

I always make it a point to call in August because of NFL Sunday Ticket. It's really the only reason I stick with Direct TV and I am sure to let them know it. I have been able to get it for free for the last six years.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
If you have one of their promotions, the price increase won't take effect until your promotional rate expires.
This is one of the things about their business model that's very irritating. Just like airline tickets, it seems no one pays the same rate for the same service. Person 1 pays $93/month, person 2 pays $61, person 3 pays $131, etc. depending on how aggressive they were in negotiating a lower rate. And they're relying on the passive people who don't get aggressive and fight tooth and nail with them to keep rates at a reasonable rate. It's as bad or worse than many of the same practices people dislike about buying a car. It also seems to depend on which representative a person talks to as to whether they're able to get a decent deal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte