Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you have a specific post, then please feel free to bring it up IN A PM. I'll be glad to clear it up or apoligize. As the OP, I request that if the subject doesn't please you, then simply don't click on it.

This topic is about TWC raising their rates, yet again. If you have anything that you want to say about that, then you are certainly welcome.
My post was on topic as it pertained to a reply you posted on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
why did they give you credit? Did you have the modem for a few months before telling them about it?
No. I received the modem the day before and their modem was active until then. You can't put your own modem online until you call and give them the built in unique mac address. It won't work otherwise.

I did not have to sign a contract, nor do anything else. The guy at the counter simply referred to it as a retention plan.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:06 PM

207 posts, read 354,760 times
Same for me. Yesterday I returned the modem. At my request for better rate the guy at the desk said he would combine some discounts and it cut my monthly from 176$-114$. I do not know if these discounts expire.
Only downside was that today my email said "account suspended". Phone rep took care of it and said maybe desk guy yesterday hit wrong button on changes.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
What modems would you guys recommend to buy from Amazon to replace a leased one from TWC?

Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
What modems would you guys recommend to buy from Amazon to replace a leased one from TWC?
If you go on the TWC site they have a list of modems that will work, has to be on that list. I just go the Motorola SB6121 from Amazon for my TWC internet and it works well so far, gotten good reviews on Amazon too.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Depends upon how much speed you eventually want. Rumor is that TWC is going to automatically bump of the speed 2x or more for free in the Charlotte area in 2015 like they already have in other cities so you want to be prepared for that.

Buy Your Modem | Time Warner Cable

The only modem, based on Amazon comments, that I'd avoid would be SB6141. Seems that some have trouble with it on TwCs system. On the other hand it might be OK here and it is available locally at Costco for a little over $71.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:57 AM

39 posts, read 53,315 times
Quote:
The only modem, based on Amazon comments, that I'd avoid would be SB6141.
Basically the rest of the world disagrees. The only modem that ever gets recommended is SB6141. It has 4.5 stars with 4,300 reviews on Amazon. I use one on TW Charlotte and it's fine.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeDoofus View Post
Basically the rest of the world disagrees. The only modem that ever gets recommended is SB6141. It has 4.5 stars with 4,300 reviews on Amazon. I use one on TW Charlotte and it's fine.
Rest of the world. LOL. A quick google search list many many many issues like this. People can decided for themselves if they wish to risk it.

Problem with Motorola SB6141? - TWC Community Forums

I spent a few $s more and got the SB6183. It doesn't have the firmware issue. It's totally overkill for the service that I have, but it's futureproof and as I indicated above, it ended up not costing me anything at all.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
CJ - I had a Zoom 5341J that I bought as soon as I heard that TWC was going to charge the cable modem fee. It worked fine for nearly a year and then stopped working. I sent it back to Zoom in Boston and they sent me a replacement. They told me the firmware was corrupted! It seems that Time-Warner flashes the firmware on modems that they own but not for customer-owned ones. I have a sneaking suspicion that my Zoom Cable modem got half-flashed by TWC and that's what killed it. I keep the replacement I got from Zoom as a backup.

I rented an Arris CM820 model from TWC until I got a Motorola/Arris SB6141 on sale. I've never had a problem with it at all! The model that WaldoKitty bought would probably be my top choice. He's right about "overkill" on that model. Reading the Amazon reviews on that model with people commenting on their 200 down and 100 up made me realize how shoddy the service I get ...now is! I checked the other night and got 20 down .3 up. Mind you, those measures are Megabits per second, not Megabytes! Eight megabits = one megabyte. 2.5 megabytes down seems pretty paltry for what I pay! Turbo my azz!

I'd go with the SB6183 if I had to buy today!

Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
For those of you still using CATV to get TV and/or Internet, be prepared to pay more tomorrow.

They are going to start hitting sports fans directly in the pocket. At least you can avoid the modem fee if you purchase your own.

Time Warner Cable hikes customer fees for sports channels, Internet modems | CharlotteObserver.com

You can be the other providers will follow suit.
Well if I were the Cable TV providers I'd probably go after this as the "hole" in the "I don't need cable armor". I have to imagine Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu are basically making conventional cable less and less relevant as more and more content becomes available outside the cable box. The one thing that has to be enjoyed live is Sports. So you get sports fans to pay through the nose for the NFL network, NBA/MLB, etc.

Really that's the only real reason I have Direct TV is for Sunday Ticket. Beyond that I watch Netflix, Prime and download other content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte