U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 PM

10 posts, read 25,689 times

Advertisements

We're seriously considering relocating from NJ to the Charlotte area with our two children (4 and 6) and would like some honest opinions about living in the Charlotte area.

Which neighborhoods are best for families with children (lots of kids, good schools,etc)? We've read good things about Matthews, Huntersville, Mint Hill and Cornelius just to name a few...

My husband is a high school Phys Ed teacher and I'm in HR in financial services - how hard do you think it would be for us to find jobs in the area?

Any information would be much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Mike&CindyNYC; 01-01-2015 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 06:31 PM

25 posts, read 84,010 times
All the towns you listed have great schools, wonderful areas for parents. You really have to visit and drive around to see yourselves there.

I don't think it would be terribly hard to gain employment but research salaries and don't move down until you find work.

I came down from NJ/NY and there are tons of Transplants down here. I constantly see cars with NJ plates driving around which is cool.

Good luck

Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 PM

305 posts, read 385,180 times
I am from New Jersey myself. I would consider checking out Huntersville, which is about 10-15 minutes from Charlotte. They have some really nice developments, things to do with kids, family oriented, etc.

For neighborhoods, check out Northstone or Birkdale Village.

Don't know how hard it would be to gain employment for those fields, I am in Finance, but I was able to land a job quickly with quite a few interviews.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 AM

10,513 posts, read 4,381,703 times
Your Husband will be taking a major cut in earnings and benifits. Starting pay around $33,000.00. I know that in NJ Starting Salary is around $53,000.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 PM

305 posts, read 659,334 times
Have your husband check out the NCDPI website to get information about job openings, transferring licensure, etc. Also, he could apply to get credit for his prior teaching experience that could put him higher on the salary schedule than a truly beginning teacher. There are a bunch of forms he needs to fill out and it takes DPI forever to process the paperwork, but it can be done.

If you are looking to move sooner rather than later, now is a good time to look at teaching openings because there are many teachers who leave mid-year, retire, etc.

Also, traffic here can be a nightmare depending on your home and work destinations, so it is better to have jobs lined up then pick a place to live otherwise you might be setting yourselves up for misery.

Also, make sure you are open to living in a different place and not just "re-creating" a little NJ because you will quickly find yourself unhappy, like so many others who move here and really aren't prepared to be open to living in the South.

Good luck.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM

33 posts, read 65,632 times
I'm a northern transplant currently living in the Mint Hill area...it's beautiful here. I'll send you a private message.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM

655 posts, read 516,648 times
Charlotte is a very large area...find a job first, and then find a nice place to live near there. There's great places for families to live north, west, south, and east of Charlotte...but you'll be much happier if you're not commuting from North to South or East to West Charlotte, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or