Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,584 times

Advertisements

I moved to charlotte from new york 8 years ago when i first moved here i was very home sick because it was so boring here and nothing to do but work and go to walmart. i was commuting back and forth every chance i got. but now that i have fully adapted to the charlotte life style which consist of going to work, walmart, and church. and the same restuarants. i just dont know why some town planner in charlotte hasent gotten bored and said maybe we do need something else other than walmart. and more family oriented based things to do. (suggestions) a ice skating ring a popeye's chicken restuarant.. a white castle hamburger restuarant. but if you want to really make a difference try something from every state here like what ever make that state a hit go ahead and try put it in charlotte. and remember people are always looking for change charlotte..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Sounds like you need to step out of your neighborhood and realize what Charlotte has to offer.
Popyes was in this area and it didnt work out for them besides Bojangles is alot better.
White Castle Burgers will never work if Krystals Burgers didnt survive in this area.
Charlotte Metro does have a skating rink.

You can find it and many more things to do in the following threads.

Things to do in the Charlotte Metro

Inside Things To Do In Charlotte With Kids

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Not looking to bash you but being from NY and being I have yet to be bored I have to ask, Have you ventured out much? Just asking because there is a lot more than just Walmart and Church here. No ice skating but I know of at least 2 roller skating rinks within 10 miles of my home if that is your thing. Like I said there is plenty to do but these things are not just stacked up next to each other like up North which I personally like the less cluttered feeling of NC. I know for instance I enjoy Mountain Biking and the Charlotte area has probably triple the amount of trails available to me when compared to what I had back on Long Island. There's comedy clubs and there are more choices of restaurants here than I had on Long Island too. Yes, certain things are not in this area like White Castle and 7-11s but seriously, was White Castle really that good? It made a good meal when it was 4am and I had wayyyy to much to drink and nothing else was open but that was about it. Just my .02 on that one. There is plenty to do here. You just need to look outside the 5-10 mile radius of your home and venture a little further out. If there's something you want, I am sure it's out there someplace especially with all of us newcomers invading the area. New things are popping up everyday. You may just have to research it here more than in NY as things are not so concentrated here.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 AM

474 posts, read 1,748,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKIRAH25 View Post
I moved to charlotte from new york 8 years ago when i first moved here i was very home sick because it was so boring here and nothing to do but work and go to walmart. i was commuting back and forth every chance i got. but now that i have fully adapted to the charlotte life style which consist of going to work, walmart, and church. and the same restuarants. i just dont know why some town planner in charlotte hasent gotten bored and said maybe we do need something else other than walmart. and more family oriented based things to do. (suggestions) a ice skating ring a popeye's chicken restuarant.. a white castle hamburger restuarant. but if you want to really make a difference try something from every state here like what ever make that state a hit go ahead and try put it in charlotte. and remember people are always looking for change charlotte..
So the solution to eliminating boredom is bringing in a Popeyes and White Castle?.....Someone needs to get on that immediately!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
This Thread sort of sounds like the this situation that I heard of before:
Parents with teen kids move the family from the "inner city" areas of a city to the suburbs or further and the kids go banana's over the move. A lot of times the kids don't want to move because of their idea of a "boring" type area they will be moving to, while the parents are thinking about a safe/less crime area to live in. The parents win, of course.
But, one thing to remember, Charlotte ISN'T New York or Los Angeles as far as entertainment goes. But, there are a number of things here to do. For us, our love of boating was one thing that drew us to the area. One thing is for sure, the more things that are created/built for people to go, the more the population grows, the more crime goes up and the more traffic gets worse.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 AM

47 posts, read 101,945 times
It would be nice if there was more continuity between social hotspots (ie noDa & central) and if we had an MLB team.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 AM

616 posts, read 1,750,917 times
You know, there are TONS of volunteer opportunities. Also, do you have any hobbies?

I used to ask my husband "Are you bored?" and he would answer "I bore myself." meaning if you're bored, it's your responsibility to get un-bored. Life's too short to stay bored!

Here is a terrific post on volunteer opportunities in the Charlotte area:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2423122-post2.html

Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKIRAH25 View Post

Have you been to the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Discovery Place, Carowinds, a Panthers game, Bobcats game or NASCAR race? What about the Museum of the New South, Imaginon, or the Mint Museum? Have you tried ice skating, biking, or any of the area fun centers? The Charlotte Metro YMCA has branches all over the county with great facilities. There's a Whitewater Park north of Charlotte and a great boating/picnic park off Weddington Road, I think it's called Frazier Park but not sure.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 AM

379 posts, read 644,556 times
There is an ice skating rink in pineville (Ice House) and one in Indian Trail (Extreme Ice). There have to be more on the north side too.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Bojangle's chicken beats Popeye's all day. There is a Church's on Wilkinson Blvd. unless they have closed recently.

If you get bored around here, it really is your fault. I'm not trying to give you grief, but there are plenty of things to do for almost anyone.

You can ride 2 hours and go skiing. Carowinds in the summer, along with the whitewater center. You can watch Olympic qualifying there soon.

Discovery Place, sporting events, concerts, etc.

There is a comedy theater here in town that you can join. They offer classes and meet once or twice per week. The people involved in that seem to really enjoy it.

You can always go to the mountains and just drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway if that seems interesting to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte