Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:57 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,462,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbj123 View Post
I've had t-mobile since before they were t-mobile (voicestream). I relocated from Chicago to Huntersville last year and we kept service with them. Coverage in Charlotte, Huntersville and Mooresville is actually very good and they are currently upgrading their entire 2G network to LTE. I commute to Hickory on HYW 16 and for a while would drop to 2G in areas between Denver and Newton but now that has been upgraded and I have full 4G LTE data all the way.

I have priced every other carrier just about every year and tmo comes back the best value time and time again. Especially if you don't have to always have the latest and greatest iPhone. My kids have older 4G android phones and the wife and I have Moto X phones we purchased direct from Moto last Christmas when they have very good deals on them.

If you have a tmo branded phone, they have one thing nobody is offering quite yet and that is Wi-Fi calling/texting. We used this years ago on a trip to Mexico. Our condo had free Wi-Fi so we had coverage via that without any roaming or long distance fees. Excellent way to save big bucks if you travel. It also ensure you have full coverage in your own home using your wi-fi connection.

One of the best sites to get info on their deals, network upgrades, is TMONEWS.
Agree with all this. My sister is trying to quit VZW because of the outrageous $$$ they spend on it and I keep begging her to just try TMo and she's afraid. VZW, or ATT, are like crack/meth. People get on them and think there is no way they can be happier with anyone else, even if you get good coverage at good speeds for a FRACTION of the cost! haha I keep asking her if she's scared of saving money AND having unlimited everything! Sisters, go figure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 04:52 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Agree with all this. My sister is trying to quit VZW because of the outrageous $$$ they spend on it and I keep begging her to just try TMo and she's afraid. VZW, or ATT, are like crack/meth. People get on them and think there is no way they can be happier with anyone else, even if you get good coverage at good speeds for a FRACTION of the cost! haha I keep asking her if she's scared of saving money AND having unlimited everything! Sisters, go figure....
What we are scared of is crappy coverage, which any but the big two till have in a lot of areas. It doesn't matter is the bill is $40 a month cheaper if the service sucks. I'm saying it does as it sounds like from the feedback here that T-Mobile has made a lot of improvements but there are still a lot of areas that they have little to no coverage.

For instance, I go see my family up in VA three or four times a year. It looks like coverage is still very spotty up there so I don't want to be up there a week little to no service.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,462,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
What we are scared of is crappy coverage, which any but the big two till have in a lot of areas. It doesn't matter is the bill is $40 a month cheaper if the service sucks. I'm saying it does as it sounds like from the feedback here that T-Mobile has made a lot of improvements but there are still a lot of areas that they have little to no coverage.

For instance, I go see my family up in VA three or four times a year. It looks like coverage is still very spotty up there so I don't want to be up there a week little to no service.
I was drinking the big red koolaid at one time and scared of crappy coverage. I tried Sprint with Virgin Mobile and it was HORRIBLE in this area. The price was right but the coverage was not acceptable in the slightest sense of the word. Lesson learned. Got a cheap phone on sale at Target probably a year later and gave TMo a shot and got lucky and it was great service where I live/work daily. At some of my families houses I would get 2G or just voice service while visiting but that's fine for me as I was there to visit, not check my fantasy football team. haha Plus, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, TMo has Wifi calling on their branded phones (or at least the ones I had did) so even if I had no bars, as long as the family had wifi I was good for calls, text and data of course.

In a year and a half of having TMo my family has saved nearly $2200 on our cell phone bills as compared to what we'd be paying with VZW over that same period assuming they kept the same rates that entire 18 months since we've switched.

Definitely to each their own though as we all have different circumstances and prioritizing what is most important and no faulting that.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 38,402 times
I live in Lake Wylie, made the swtich to Verizon last year and network has improved dramaitically since then. I am on LTE pretty much 99% of the time, 100% of the time going up in and around Gastonia and also East to Charlotte and Ft Mill. Rural areas are still mostly 2G but getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte