Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times

Advertisements

Montclaire West is the subdivision on the west side of South Blvd next to the Arrowwood Station.

Starmount and the general "Montclaire" neighborhood are on the east side of South Blvd. Montclaire proper tends to be more 200K+ but sometimes there are homes under 200K that haven't been updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:23 PM

53 posts, read 104,335 times
For the year I lived in Charlotte, I found the real estate market there to be incredible confounding and problematic, typical of a rapid growing area. The nice areas with any architectural appeal are almost entirely remodeled with normal people being priced out. Leaving only new homes and ugly mid century homes to choose from in the affordable range.. and then in the up and coming areas, where it might be neat to live eventually, like NODA.. they are still asking $400K..Charlotte had growth because it was affordable, but when that advantage ends so does the growth. about a year and a half ago, my home in coastal California, 15 minutes from the most beautiful beach on the pacific coast with massive charm, was valued at about the same as these new homes in the up and coming noda district on the verge of absolute ghetto. Since that time, the homes prices in charlotte have been stagnant while the value of my California home increased close to 35%-40% and will continue to climb. I personally don't think Charlotte is a good place to buy at the current prices because there are no natural resources of land value reasons for the prices to be that high, its purely based on the job market which can change rapidly. One bank shut down and its all over.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
"Affordability" always comes with compromises. A longer commute, or blander/older architecture, or underperforming schools, or airport flight paths, small lot, busy street, etc. It's up to the buyer to order the priorities and make it work. If you can decide or rationalize that you're not bothered by a few of the things that OTHER people in the market care about, the search gets easier.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM

150 posts, read 263,814 times
I agree Sean. All I am looking for is a small home (even a bungalow) that is in a safe area. A small yard for my dogs and within walking distance or light rail of uptown, as I do not want to drive in the rush hour every day to work. I personally do not care about the school district, airport flight path, etc. So far I am liking Starmount, as all homes seems to be 220k or below. Seems like a nice and growing area too

In terms of the comment above. I'm still learning my way around the city, but it seems like an affordable city overall. A few areas do seem very pricey for what you are buying though.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,606 times
Just saw this thread. I'm the VP on the board here in Starmount. I've been here 9 years from Seattle. We have many styles of homes that may be to your liking. Many are still under 200k - it just depends on the degree of the remodeling that has been done. This is a great community. Lower crime rates than Balantyne and Dilworth. Very vigilant neighbors as far as crime. Sidewalks, great wildlife, and Che out our stretch of the greenway system! We were just at rated the # 1 hottest neighborhood for value by Redfin in 2015!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: