Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:21 PM

227 posts, read 390,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
this is what tampered my excitement.

I have TWC with basic cable... I get ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSports, Fox Sports1 and Fox Sports South.

My bill is roughly $90 + $10 for Netflix

I would probably break even and lose a few channels with Sling. I'm hopeful that this will force other companies to get in the game to bring prices lower.
A lot of it depends on what you pay for now. I pay about $140/month for tv and internet. That has ESPN, HBO (free, included in the package - but not necessary for me), the HGTV and DIY Network type of channels, etc. We have netflix too, but we'd have that with or without any other package so it doesn't really enter into the equation for me.

If internet-only was about $60, then this would take it up to about $80-85/month after taxes. That's a decent savings for me.

Heck, it costs about $10/month just for a mandatory cable box that I don't use. So that savings alone would pay for half of the Sling package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,325,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Sling has been around awhile it was mostly a way to watch tv anywhere. You could set it up at home and log in and watch your tv wherever you were. They now started doing the packages and I like it. I do not like our current options and if the packages are right and you can still watch tv anywhere using sling this might be the best option out there.
Yep. Slingboxes have been available for years now.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,438,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yep. Slingboxes have been available for years now.
Which has nothing to do with Sling TV which is the topic here.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I don't sit one way or another but do the math...Stand alone broadband $65, Sling $20, Netflix $12, Hulu Plus $10, Cost of HD antenna = $107/month. Are you getting more for less or are you just wanting to stick it to your cable company? If you are purely an ESPN fan...go for it. Soccer fans like me get a better deal with cable ( and don't expect NBCSports to be a part of a package...you will need to buy it on an NBCUniv app...just watch)
My bill had been $142/month for TV/internet via TWC + $10/month for Netflix, so $152/month. My internet is all I have now which is $35/month + $10 for Netflix + $20 for this service and I'm at $65/month for the channels I actually WANT plus movies and other content and internet. Savings of nearly $90/month over what I currently pay. I mean I guess I'd be "sticking it to my cable company" but I really don't care about that as I don't have an issue with TWC the company, just the prices they charge. It's all about real competition and this is real competition for them and for customers like me it represents a very substantial monthly savings.

Certainly, based on what channels each person MUST have makes this either a great idea/concept or ho hum. Any competition is good news for consumers and the cable/satellite providers have sorely needed real competition for their bread & butter segment for a long time and this is the first viable swing at that IMO. We'll see how it plays out over the next several months.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
My bill had been $142/month for TV/internet via TWC + $10/month for Netflix, so $152/month. My internet is all I have now which is $35/month + $10 for Netflix + $20 for this service and I'm at $65/month for the channels I actually WANT plus movies and other content and internet. Savings of nearly $90/month over what I currently pay. I mean I guess I'd be "sticking it to my cable company" but I really don't care about that as I don't have an issue with TWC the company, just the prices they charge. It's all about real competition and this is real competition for them and for customers like me it represents a very substantial monthly savings.

Certainly, based on what channels each person MUST have makes this either a great idea/concept or ho hum. Any competition is good news for consumers and the cable/satellite providers have sorely needed real competition for their bread & butter segment for a long time and this is the first viable swing at that IMO. We'll see how it plays out over the next several months.
where are you getting internet for $35 a month? I have a hard time finding internet for less than $60 once you add in the wirless modem and taxes.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
where are you getting internet for $35 a month? I have a hard time finding internet for less than $60 once you add in the wirless modem and taxes.
TWC, standard internet (15mbs down, 1mbs up) is what I'm paying $34.99/month for. Now that is a 12 month promotion rate. In 12 months we'll do our negotiation dance again. haha

Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,745,343 times
Quote:
TWC, standard internet (15mbs down, 1mbs up) is what I'm paying $34.99/month for. Now that is a 12 month promotion rate. In 12 months we'll do our negotiation dance again. haha
Is 15 enough for your household? At 15 it was constantly loading at our house so we upped to 30. Much better and almost no loading.

But we do have 4 people on it either streaming/surfing at the same time. I split it into 2 networks as well.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:58 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,568,409 times
Quote:
ahh.. the good old promotional rate.

Not sure if 15mbs would work with SlingTV and Netflix. Probably have to bump it up for buffering.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Is 15 enough for your household? At 15 it was constantly loading at our house so we upped to 30. Much better and almost no loading.

But we do have 4 people on it either streaming/surfing at the same time. I split it into 2 networks as well.
Were you actually getting 15? 15mbs is plenty of bandwidth for us at least. Three people. We're all on the internet, two streaming quite a bit. Last night I had Watch ESPN going with the championship game, the son was watching some Youtube stuff, I was downloading 5gb worth of shows from PlayOn to put on my tablet for vacation tomorrow and I was also surfing the web, no issues at all. Since I don't have cable TV anymore all of my content is streaming for the most part unless I've got the antenna on. I'd be curious how much more than me you guys are doing where 15mbs is not enough as I thought we were pretty heavy users! haha

Old 01-13-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
ahh.. the good old promotional rate.

Not sure if 15mbs would work with SlingTV and Netflix. Probably have to bump it up for buffering.
I know, I hate promo rates and the bs you have to go through for being a loyal customer, ridiculous.

We'll see how it works out but unless Sling TV is using a TON more data than PlayOn, Netflix or any other service I'm currently using without issue we should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte