U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM

27 posts, read 33,081 times

Advertisements

New user here, but have usually lurked around here when looking for local info.

The wife and I stopped by Loray Mill yesterday and took a tour. I have to say, we were very impressed. We've been saving for a house but the higher our savings gets, the more issues we see with the idea of buying our first home. We are renting a house now and it's in the dreaded 20 year mark, so everything is falling apart. After seeing how much these repairs are costing the owners, it's really swaying us away from owning. We want to save and at the same time enjoy where we are.

That brought us to Loray. For us, it's a very good deal money wise. We could still save money and enjoy some of these "proposed" amenities.

This is where the questions come for us. I've done a bit of research on Loray, the history and the time frame of the restoration. The employee of Loray took us on a tour of a few units, as well as the commercial area. It all LOOKS good and SOUNDS good, but I just want to know some concrete details before being serious about changing to these lofts.

Any word on the commercial space? I see a coffee shop and a bar or something like that so far. She mentioned a brewery but couldn't tell me who the brewery was. She also mentioned a gym, but I don't see it mentioned in the amenities package, so I'm wondering if the fitness center is another commercial spot. We are avid exercisers, and I have acquired a lot of equipment to make our own gym in the garage in our current house, so if we were to move, a gym would have to be a necessity. There's a ton of work left to do landscaping wise, but the pool is already poured.

I know it's not the best area, as this looks to be the ignition for revitalization of the area, but I'd like to know their parking situation. She said they are still going over ideas. People are already moving in next week, so I don't know why they wouldn't have made up their minds on this yet.

Lastly, would you consider this safe? I know the downtown area in general is a bit sketchy, but the mill looks to be somewhat self contained with the police having a wing, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but since this is new, there's not a lot of real info on this, and my wife has those loft blinders on and wants to move yesterday so I'm trying to be level headed on where to go. It truly is a great place for our tastes, but we just want to be smart. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 12:22 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,483,553 times
If you like them, you don't have much at risk financially by renting there. It's a bigger gamble to be the first persons buying condominiums in a converted mill.

Downtown Gastonia is slowly healing. You're not going to see the area transform rapidly, but property values are as cheap as they'll ever be - and people are eventually going to have to consider the area if Charlotte gets more expensive.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:14 PM

22,033 posts, read 27,324,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofreel View Post
New user here, but have usually lurked around here when looking for local info.

The wife and I stopped by Loray Mill yesterday and took a tour. I have to say, we were very impressed. We've been saving for a house but the higher our savings gets, the more issues we see with the idea of buying our first home. We are renting a house now and it's in the dreaded 20 year mark, so everything is falling apart. After seeing how much these repairs are costing the owners, it's really swaying us away from owning. We want to save and at the same time enjoy where we are.

That brought us to Loray. For us, it's a very good deal money wise. We could still save money and enjoy some of these "proposed" amenities.

This is where the questions come for us. I've done a bit of research on Loray, the history and the time frame of the restoration. The employee of Loray took us on a tour of a few units, as well as the commercial area. It all LOOKS good and SOUNDS good, but I just want to know some concrete details before being serious about changing to these lofts.

Any word on the commercial space? I see a coffee shop and a bar or something like that so far. She mentioned a brewery but couldn't tell me who the brewery was. She also mentioned a gym, but I don't see it mentioned in the amenities package, so I'm wondering if the fitness center is another commercial spot. We are avid exercisers, and I have acquired a lot of equipment to make our own gym in the garage in our current house, so if we were to move, a gym would have to be a necessity. There's a ton of work left to do landscaping wise, but the pool is already poured.

I know it's not the best area, as this looks to be the ignition for revitalization of the area, but I'd like to know their parking situation. She said they are still going over ideas. People are already moving in next week, so I don't know why they wouldn't have made up their minds on this yet.

Lastly, would you consider this safe? I know the downtown area in general is a bit sketchy, but the mill looks to be somewhat self contained with the police having a wing, etc.

Sorry for the long post, but since this is new, there's not a lot of real info on this, and my wife has those loft blinders on and wants to move yesterday so I'm trying to be level headed on where to go. It truly is a great place for our tastes, but we just want to be smart. Thanks guys!
You're right that this will ignite revitalization, but did you drive around that area on the south side of Franklin? If you didn't, drive along Garrison. There are tons of small mill houses in good condition. Next to Loray are some larger mill houses that are run down but will be cleaned up, fixed up, & turned into retail. The side of the mill that has yet to be fixed up will be available for senior citizen housing.

This isn't Gastonia' s first foray into this. The old high school was converted into apartments some years ago.

Have you checked the Gaston Gazette for details concerning the retail?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 AM

I've seen an article, but not pertaining to retail. Do you have a link to this?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I've seen an article, but not pertaining to retail. Do you have a link to this?
A link to what?

I had a thread about rehabbing the old mill. There were links to one or two articles in that. That was prior to starting the rehabbing. I would think that the person who showed you around could have given you the newest information about retail & amenities. There will be a park in the vicinity. The former site of 2 Parkdale mills & a warehouse is zoned for retail.

As to safety, most of the area south of Franklin is residential. North of Franklin you have an area of retail. I'd drive around both sides of Franklin. Most crime in Gastonia is in the NW quadrant. Drive around the area & see how far you have to go to find an area that makes you uncomfortable.

As to grocery stores, there is a Wal-Mart south on Myrtle School Road. Turn left in Myrtle School Road & there is a Bi-Lo. There is a Food Lion on Garrison. Taking a right on Union from Garrison gets you to Aldi, & another Bi-Lo. There are 2 Lowes Foods stores in that area. If you go north on 321 there is an Ingles just off one of the exits. It's in Dallas but isn't far at all. There's also a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market & a Harris Teeter is being built. I've also heard that Publix is looking at a location on East Franklin, but the Ingles in Dallas would probably be about the same ride time with lower prices than Publix & Teeter. it would be worth checking out. I live in Kings Mountain & do most of my shopping at Aldi & Ingles.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:36 PM

Oh yeah, I was just referring to any news articles, but I found a few. The wife and I drove around the area a bit and while it looked a little rough, it was very quiet. The optimist park behind the mill is nice. From talking to the staff there, they are going to be hosting monthly and, eventually, weekly events. Hopefully it catches on. Inside the building is really beautiful, even if partially done.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I was just referring to any news articles, but I found a few. The wife and I drove around the area a bit and while it looked a little rough, it was very quiet. The optimist park behind the mill is nice. From talking to the staff there, they are going to be hosting monthly and, eventually, weekly events. Hopefully it catches on. Inside the building is really beautiful, even if partially done.
I don't know if you currently live in Gaston County but the main library is located east on Garrison. They host events for all ages. There are adult movies, movies for children & for teenagers. There are lectures & performances.

In spite of the bashing that this area takes on here there are some very nice towns out here & that includes Gastonia.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
A link to what?

I had a thread about rehabbing the old mill. There were links to one or two articles in that. That was prior to starting the rehabbing. I would think that the person who showed you around could have given you the newest information about retail & amenities. There will be a park in the vicinity. The former site of 2 Parkdale mills & a warehouse is zoned for retail.

As to safety, most of the area south of Franklin is residential. North of Franklin you have an area of retail. I'd drive around both sides of Franklin. Most crime in Gastonia is in the NW quadrant. Drive around the area & see how far you have to go to find an area that makes you uncomfortable.

As to grocery stores, there is a Wal-Mart south on Myrtle School Road. Turn left in Myrtle School Road & there is a Bi-Lo. There is a Food Lion on Garrison. Taking a right on Union from Garrison gets you to Aldi, & another Bi-Lo. There are 2 Lowes Foods stores in that area. If you go north on 321 there is an Ingles just off one of the exits. It's in Dallas but isn't far at all. There's also a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market & a Harris Teeter is being built. I've also heard that Publix is looking at a location on East Franklin, but the Ingles in Dallas would probably be about the same ride time with lower prices than Publix & Teeter. it would be worth checking out. I live in Kings Mountain & do most of my shopping at Aldi & Ingles.
I swapped the Wal-Mart & Bi-Lo on the west side. From the Loray Mill you would turn right (north) to go into the Wal-Mart & left (south) to get to Bi-Lo. There's also a Sam's Club & Wal-Mart in Franklin Square on the east side.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I swapped the Wal-Mart & Bi-Lo on the west side. From the Loray Mill you would turn right (north) to go into the Wal-Mart & left (south) to get to Bi-Lo. There's also a Sam's Club & Wal-Mart in Franklin Square on the east side.
Thanks. We've been doing Harris Teeter for the online convenience, as currently we're about 2 miles from the Mt. Island location. We were told a possible HT to be completed near Loray by November, which is good news. My wife told me she saw some farmers markets signs. Are there any good markets near there?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks. We've been doing Harris Teeter for the online convenience, as currently we're about 2 miles from the Mt. Island location. We were told a possible HT to be completed near Loray by November, which is good news. My wife told me she saw some farmers markets signs. Are there any good markets near there?
The Harris Teeter will be in south Gastonia. Gastonia has a nice farmers market. Kings Mountain has a small one downtown on Saturday in season. There is a year-round privately owned market in Kings Mountain on Shelby Road (Business 74) I'm honestly not sure about Bessemer City. I also don't know about Cherryville. However if you decide to look for a farmers market in Cherryville you access the town from Dallas, Bessemer City, or Kings Mountain, so plan accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte