U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 19,483 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 with two young children. Our home search in South Charlotte is bringing us into Union County, we will work from home primarily so being a little further out doesn't hurt us. We are interested to hear more about Weddington Chase neighborhood, I realize they are being redistricted to Weddington schools after being in MR. What does this mean for a new buyer? Is this a good time to buy a home in WC when others are leaving? Maybe the home inventory will be high and selling at lower prices? Or maybe this is a terrible time to buy in WC and in Union County overall?! I am under the impression that Weddington Schools are desirable but Marvin Ridge are more so. How are others viewing the change? What family activities and stores are local to this neighborhood? We are looking for a beautiful home in a family friendly environment with community pool and activities and green space with great schools. Are there other neighborhoods in this area that are similar price points with great community features?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,125 times
My wife's a teacher (not at either), and really MR and Weddington are both decent schools. I'm unsure about what the overall perception of Weddington vs. MR, but we were redistricted to Sun Valley (from Cuthbertson), and I would rather have either of the 3 (MR/Cuth/Weddington) over SV...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,382,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou11669 View Post
We are a family of 4 with two young children. Our home search in South Charlotte is bringing us into Union County, we will work from home primarily so being a little further out doesn't hurt us. We are interested to hear more about Weddington Chase neighborhood, I realize they are being redistricted to Weddington schools after being in MR. What does this mean for a new buyer? Is this a good time to buy a home in WC when others are leaving? Maybe the home inventory will be high and selling at lower prices? Or maybe this is a terrible time to buy in WC and in Union County overall?! I am under the impression that Weddington Schools are desirable but Marvin Ridge are more so. How are others viewing the change? What family activities and stores are local to this neighborhood? We are looking for a beautiful home in a family friendly environment with community pool and activities and green space with great schools. Are there other neighborhoods in this area that are similar price points with great community features?
Go back a few years and there was no Marvin Ridge or Cuthbertson, just Weddington.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,584,646 times
One of best value neighborhoods with great homes built by John Weilland and awesome facilities!
There is a Publix and new shopping center planed to be built on corner of Providence & New Town road with potential walking alleys from the WC neighborhood. There is also talk for WC to become gated once the new shopping center development goes ahead (under review).

Friends who live there for many years just love Weddington Chase. Their kids who made the switch from MR to Weddington schools are at least as happy and so are the parents.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 AM

2,148 posts, read 3,669,888 times
^^have to agree with 28173. My son graduated from WHS and have no complaints. Many people feel that WHS and MRI are on par with each other. The only difference is I believe MR has an IB program. I live in a John Weiland neighborhood and they are one of the nicer communities and homes appreciate nicely and the average days our homes are on the market is 30-40 days, my guess WC may be the same. I have friends in WC and they love the neighborhood, JWH has the best amenities you will find, especially if you have young children.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 AM

527 posts, read 637,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
^^have to agree with 28173. My son graduated from WHS and have no complaints. Many people feel that WHS and MRI are on par with each other. The only difference is I believe MR has an IB program. I live in a John Weiland neighborhood and they are one of the nicer communities and homes appreciate nicely and the average days our homes are on the market is 30-40 days, my guess WC may be the same. I have friends in WC and they love the neighborhood, JWH has the best amenities you will find, especially if you have young children.
The people that think MR and Weddington are equal all go to Weddington . Most people outside of MR probably do agree with that statement.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of WC. Nice homes no doubt but they are beginning to get a little dated with honey colors, brass fixtures, and such. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea. Champion Forest in the Cuthbertson district is the same. Beautiful homes but most need a lot of updating.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM

305 posts, read 660,756 times
I live in WC and have experience with both the Marvin and Weddington schools. We weren't reassigned, we chose to move out of Marvin and into Weddington and WC for exactly the reasons you described. We still have great friends in Marvin, but I was not thrilled with some changes that were happening in Marvin ES. We have been very pleased with Weddington. I'm a teacher and feel that the level of instruction is just as good as Marvin.

As for inventory, it's actually pretty low in WC right now, even though some posters will swear they have friends who are about to flood the market to get back into Marvin. The homes are about 10-15 years old, but most residents maintain them meticulously, inside and out. I'd agree that the quality of Weiland homes is excellent. And the price point is attractive. Most of the new construction going up on Marvin starts at $650K and up, before even factoring in upgrades, etc. If you look at the numbers, most of those buyers won't ever recoup that if they have to sell in the short term.

You'll get all kinds of responses on this board, and everyone will try to frame each other's in terms of their own biases and perceptions. What I always say is that both are great clusters, nothing in Union is guaranteed in terms of school assignment no matter how "safe" a development/neighborhood thinks it is and pick a home and neighborhood where you feel like it is home.

I think it's funny how when people come on and try to say that Marvin isn't the be all and end all and there actually could be good schools in another cluster, some posters only response is that they must be jealous!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM!

Good luck with your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or